False memories

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
I just watched that Retroblasting Palitoy Death Star review and I was reminded of the only time I actually saw the thing in real life - I went round some kid's house and he had one under his bed. The funny thing is that I remember it being a full sphere. I can clearly remember thinking that you probably had to hang it from the ceiling on a piece of string to be able to play with it. Of course I realise now my brain must have invented all of this.

Does anyone else have any false memories of SW toys?

x-pack

Grand Master
I can remember those Jedi cardbacks and thinking the blacked out figures must be something really cool. They weren't :lol:

Waltham Wookiee

Jedi Knight
I remember going around a friends to play as a child and he must of had a few of the play sets. For years after I always thought the land of the jawas set and the cantina set was the same set. I alway thought the cardboard was printed both side and you just turned the set around from one to the other.

It's funny how are imaginations would play tricks on us like this :lol:

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I had a friend who was a bit older than me and he had loads of stuff. I would always go round his house to check out his latest Star Wars item. Then one day he whent on about how he had this new vehicle that was better than an AT-AT or Millennium Falcon. So the next day I go to his house and he get's me waiting in his front room while he goes and get's it. I remember thinking what is it, what is it. He eventually comes bouncing into the room on a space hopper. :lol: I was so disapointed. :roll: :lol:

sith-smith

Grand Master
I thought I had a false memory of seeing the kenner version of the death star as a kid in the 70's.

As it happens, it was more than likely true as I recognised what I saw in the Sansweet book :D

Though at the time as a kid I did think it must have been some kind of rebel base to go opposite the Palitoy death star :?

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Sad to admit but when I first discovered the secondary collecting market in earnest it was via a shop/stall called Jabbas Hut in the basement of the Jubilee shopping centre, Brighton (Now Komedia). The owner of the stall was a dealer called Adrian Gumbrell, and although my first Mocs came via car boots, this guy was the first person I had met that knew what was what when it came to collecting. It was circa 1995 and I got a lot of info from him.

I am sad to say I was the guy who was certain I had seen a rocket fett in my once he had told me about it. I don't know why but I was sure I had seen one.

I don't know if anyone had any dealings with the stall or Adrian. He sadly a couple of years after when he fell down the stairs at the shopping hall.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
x-pack said:
I can remember those Jedi cardbacks and thinking the blacked out figures must be something really cool. They weren't :lol:

but the mystery of what they could have been was so enticing. everytime I see it, it still evokes a little nugget of nostalgia. I was certain it was Wookiees. Because the hat made the black out quite tall.. never did I contemplate a pair of camp bears...

Palifan

Sith Lord
I remember being given a Palitoy VCJ growing up in the 70's and then being told years later that it didn't exist......... :wink:

Ian

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
the biggs scene

the storybook had the scene in it, and my brother was certain we saw it at the cinema.. so those memories became mixed in our young biggs loving heads.

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
Mr-shifter said:
Sad to admit but when I first discovered the secondary collecting market in earnest it was via a shop/stall called Jabbas Hut in the basement of the Jubilee shopping centre, Brighton (Now Komedia). The owner of the stall was a dealer called Adrian Gumbrell, and although my first Mocs came via car boots, this guy was the first person I had met that knew what was what when it came to collecting. It was circa 1995 and I got a lot of info from him.

I am sad to say I was the guy who was certain I had seen a rocket fett in my once he had told me about it. I don't know why but I was sure I had seen one.

Lol, at least you admit it now - you weren't like that kid at school who refuses to admit he was wrong :D Or the kid who's cousin in America has got like, five of them from when he went round George Lucas's house

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Back in 78 the kid down the road had 11 of the first 12 and was waiting on the SDC (I've since read that the SDC was the last released so that bit seems true). He even had his Dad checking the stores in Liverpool to finally get it.

I moved on to other stuff after that (TDK tapes and records mainly) and remember seeing a Jawa with a cloth cloak some time later and being quite surprised because I didn't remember ever seeing a cloth cloak before.

I've since thought that must mean he had a Palitoy VCJ (cos otherwise I'd have seen a cloth cloak with his first 11), but whether it's really true or not I've got no idea. I only thought about it when the graded VCJ was uncovered so my mind has had 25+ years to trick me, but it could be true.

lee gray

Sith Lord
Not really star wars related but always thought the public information film green bottles had kids dying in alk different ways only to realise two days ago i got it mixed up when i re watched it and it was actually apaches i was thinking of, they did mention action man in it though.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
naughtyjedi said:
x-pack said:

but the mystery of what they could have been was so enticing. everytime I see it, it still evokes a little nugget of nostalgia. I was certain it was Wookiees. Because the hat made the black out quite tall.. never did I contemplate a pair of camp bears...

I remember pondering if they were blacked out or very black and very furry. :)

x-pack

Grand Master
chipsteak said:
naughtyjedi said:
x-pack said:

I remember pondering if they were blacked out or very black and very furry. :)

Ewok prototypes :wink:

Ian_C

Jedi Master
As a kid, the Jawas were promoted as having "glowing" eyes. Little did I know it was just yellow paint meant to simulate glowing. My father perpetuated the myth, by suggesting you needed a black light to make them glow. I spent years wishing I had a black light so I could see my Jawa's eyes glowing. :roll:

Ian

x-pack

Grand Master
When I saw Jedi at the cinema with my mum in '83 I was sure that Darth Vader was going to be all white in it. I'd seen a trailer on TV. The trailer had Admiral Ackbar in it and this white Darth Vader.

Turns out he was still all black. He remained black throughout the movie, and I was confused :?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
x-pack said:
When I saw Jedi at the cinema with my mum in '83 I was sure that Darth Vader was going to be all white in it. I'd seen a trailer on TV. The trailer had Admiral Ackbar in it and this white Darth Vader.

Turns out he was still all black. He remained black throughout the movie, and I was confused :?

Did you watch the trailer on a black and white TV? :?

Actually that's a stupid question as Vader would have still been black. :lol:

Kayor

Padawan
When i was a kid, my friend apperently mixed one action force figure in his star wars lot. So for a couple of years i thought there was another SW figure, combat dressed and with a backpack and a ladder.

Silly me.....

Think it was this one :)

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=action+force+figure+backpack+ladder+big&view=detailv2&&id=8F2C006F46F35A3A1658D431C8656FD0F0C23FAD&selectedIndex=6&ccid=5mwGYFSq&simid=608038881608531991&thid=OIP.Me66c066054aab692bc885f12e4b7a679o0&ajaxhist=0

x-pack

Grand Master
theforceuk said:
x-pack said:

Did you watch the trailer on a black and white TV? :?

Actually that's a stupid question as Vader would have still been black. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

It doesn't work like snooker :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom