she said what....

poncho

Grand Master
as i was looking at a moc the other day the mrs said 'you know what i think its sad those figures havnt been opened and played with, toys are meant to played with not kept in there box its pointless' :eek:

ah last her true colours are revealed on her thoughts on my collecting

i finished the conversation with 'i do collect loose figures aswell so i guess i can display those too make you feel more happy mwhahahaha...in your face mrs poncho - she should of kept her thoughts to her self' :D

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Ha ha! My wife don't get it, she doesn't mind it but she don't get it. Usually get the rolling eyes and a sarcastic "great" if I talk about it. My sister, every time she sees or hears about my collection - Oh just ****in sell it all and go on holiday, same line, every time! :|

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Mine's ok about it, I occasionally get :roll: but for the most part she's cool with it as both our kids are Star Wars nuts too, especially my 2 year old daughter, it's 3 against 1 :lol:

She even let me have the main theme from Star Wars play at the end of our wedding service :) She wasn't keen on walking down the aisle to the Imperial March though.

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
My daughters don't get it , I only have a about 4 on cards, picked up a long time ago before prices went mad, but I get funny looks when displaying the loose items and ships , I just say in my best "diary of a wimpy kid, dad, voice", "their figurines no touchy" :D :)

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
20 years being married and I still can't work the wife out :shock:

However she would sell the whole collection for a new handbag :lol:

JimboUK1979

Jedi Knight
Supporter
My wife is quite relaxed about it. She has long since learnt to not show too much of an interest at the risk of me talking about rare variations and cardbacks to her as her eyes slowly glass over and she loses the will to live!!

My wife does find it hilarious to respond to my question of, 'where is the boy'? with 'upstairs in your office playing with your star wars figures'!!! as you can imagine i take the stairs 4 at a time to find him no where near my office.

I do get the question often of: 'How much was that' as one of the daily jiffy bags pops through the door. I have to use all my guile and charm to explain how it is an investment and the hobby ultimately keeps me sane whilst living in our madhouse!!! That said she did get her own back and ambush me the other day ! She went and bought a Mulberry handbag up Cheshire Oaks!! She gave me the look that screamed, 'just ****ing say something pal, i dare you'!! As i muttered under my breath .... i could be bought 4 Yak Faces for that........

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
SublevelStudios said:
Mine's ok about it, I occasionally get :roll: but for the most part she's cool with it as both our kids are Star Wars nuts too, especially my 2 year old daughter, it's 3 against 1 :lol:

She even let me have the main theme from Star Wars play at the end of our wedding service :) She wasn't keen on walking down the aisle to the Imperial March though.

We did the same! Star Wars Main Title (ESB version)- the place errupted when it came on 8) To be fair, I had thought about it, but thought she wouldn't go for it. In the end she suggested it! 8) Happy days :)

She's pretty good about it and kinda gets it. She does have a bit of a moan about the man cave occasionally though- had to buy some extra shelves for her books, which made her happy. My boys are mad on it and my wife will happily play Star Wars Tivial Pursuit with us- she always does pretty well! 8)

nohandluke

Padawan
Melinda is working on a video to address this phenomenon as a way to try and get other women to stop being so hard on their toy enthusiast boyfriends and husbands. I will keep you posted.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I don't understand how people don't get it, I mean a lot of people I no don't understand my obsession and I say to them their's a lot of thing's I don't collect but I can understand why people collect anything really. Evan modern Art I can understand to an extent, although I don't get it at all. Then their's stuff like old medicean bottles which can go for £100 of thousands. I mean on the grand scale of collecting, vintage Star Wars is still cheap compared to a lot of stuff.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
My wife was fine with it when we were still a relatively new couple in 1995 and I was just adding some pieces here and there. Now, with an entire room and closet just stuffed to standing room only, she hates it, although rarely criticizes it openly. She does frequently moan about wishing I'd get rid of it all.

Of course, in the spring, we had some real trouble, and almost lost our house. She was just hopelessly giving up, and I told her it breaks my heart, but I have a way to save us. Sold my POTF Yak and a GDE 12 back, and those two singlehandedly brought the mortgage up to date. Sold my Droids and Ewoks, and about a half dozen other carded, and erased most of the rest of our serious debt. She wasn't able to comprehend how about 20 carded figures bailed us out. Now, I have the issue of her pushing me to sell the rest. :shock: Needless to say, I can no longer let her know if I buy any vintage......

Ian

itfciain

Grand Master
Ian_C said:
My wife was fine with it when we were still a relatively new couple in 1995 and I was just adding some pieces here and there. Now, with an entire room and closet just stuffed to standing room only, she hates it, although rarely criticizes it openly. She does frequently moan about wishing I'd get rid of it all.

Of course, in the spring, we had some real trouble, and almost lost our house. She was just hopelessly giving up, and I told her it breaks my heart, but I have a way to save us. Sold my POTF Yak and a GDE 12 back, and those two singlehandedly brought the mortgage up to date. Sold my Droids and Ewoks, and about a half dozen other carded, and erased most of the rest of our serious debt. She wasn't able to comprehend how about 20 carded figures bailed us out. Now, I have the issue of her pushing me to sell the rest. :shock: Needless to say, I can no longer let her know if I buy any vintage......

Ian

This pretty much sums up my situation as well - when we first met, I don't think she really understood and kind of let me get away with it - but a few year of the house and garage choc full (as a few on here can testify) then she'd had enough. There was some redemption when I sold up some bits to pay for moving over here but then when we arrived there were strict rules as to where it could and couldn't go

Since then she has relaxed a lot more as I am basically supplementing her income however, like Ian's wife, she hates it all and has no interest. She does have some idea of the value and quite frankly would be happy for me to sell all of my collection and put the money in the bank. Our next big issue is going to be the mortgage deposit - which she thinks is coming from my collection :lol:

poncho

Grand Master
mrs poncho says to my 4 year old tonight
'your like your father with his stupid starwars figures, he doesnt need them he just wants to own them '' :roll:

i reply ''and your point is''

stupid women moan moan :lol:

Carl Waterworth

Jedi Master
Wow! Reading some of your post makes me feel so lucky!
My wife dosent mind it at all, she has always been openly supportive and helpped me sort out/ redecorate my room, she even listens to me waffle on with what I want next. As long as the bills get paid and the kids dont go without she is happy.

I have my little box room(vintage) half a loft(modern anda few vintage vehicles) and now venturing onto the landing with my helmets and autographs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom