Cardbacks from around the world - which country has the coolest?

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
I've recently been doing a little mini focus of cardbacks from around the world, to show the 'global' span of the vintage Star Wars line. With all the variation in logos and sometimes in the design too it begs the question...

What country do you think has the coolest card?

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Stef, let's get some pics in - like these? V.cool looking cards...

Fansolo_65120_31fe455b4c8152f81a0ecdbb16a56ced.jpg

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
This is a tough one. I think Star Wars probably the harberts, esb Meccano square cards and lili ledi Jedi cards are so **** with the backs, card textures and ropey printing that I love them.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:
This is a tough one. I think Star Wars probably the harberts, esb Meccano square cards

Agree, the Harberts are stunning and the square Meccano's are a very close second.

This is my first Harbert purchase, it certainly won't be the last:

12016651_10205610124155887_1216437567_n.jpg

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
Guerre Stellari has a cool Spaghetti Western vibe to it and they look really great in terms of blocking.
I love the big Palitoy logos on the SW cords though...

I also like Returno Del Jedi but only because it sounds made up like someone in the factory was like "****, we have to make some Spanish packaging! Quick! what's the Spanish for Return Of The Jedi??" "Er, Returno Del Jedi?" "**** it, that'll do."

walkie

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Stef, let's get some pics in - like these? V.cool looking cards...

Fansolo_65120_31fe455b4c8152f81a0ecdbb16a56ced.jpg

Yes Matt, that's the one (Yoda on the right), I would have posted pics myself but I'm on my mobile at the moment.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Ian_C said:
Canadian GDE 12 backs!

100_5748_zps96459f0a.jpg

Ian

Ian, this is one I definitely need. If you happen to have, or spot, a Canadian GDE cardback going spare then pls do drop me a PM I'd like to buy one. Doesn't matter which figure and am not too fussed about condition.

As I understand these ones with the big GDE logo are from the Star Wars line then after that Canadian cards became more like traditional Kenner ones?

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Ian, this is one I definitely need. If you happen to have, or spot, a Canadian GDE cardback going spare then pls do drop me a PM I'd like to buy one. Doesn't matter which figure and am not too fussed about condition.

As I understand these ones with the big GDE logo are from the Star Wars line then after that Canadian cards became more like traditional Kenner ones?

Hey Bonsai, I sold this figure in the spring and just reacquired it over the summer. I own this and a Vader, but have no plans to let them go. Check with Shane Turgeon on FB, as I know he did have at least a couple, but that was a while ago. They may be gone now. There was also Jeff Jacob (JEFFSMUSEUM) who was selling a C-3PO for the longest time with no buyers, but that's probably because he had an insane price on it.

There is a Stormtrooper right now on ebay.

Hope those help.

As for the history, they have a unique one. Canadian 12a and 12b backs look like normal US 12 backs with English and French on the back and on the top right corner on the front. The GDE logo showed up later, on 12c and 12d cardbacks. The late production run helps to explain the very minimal number you see for sale. They switched it because the earlier versions only had "Star Wars" in English, and that broke bilingualism laws. Once they got to the 20 backs, the GDE logo was gone, as the reverse of the card used the French spelling instead of English. You can read all about them here. :)

Ian

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Thanks Ian, I am actually only after a cardback not a MOC - although that Stormtrooper one on Ebay looks great with that logo. Some figures really work visually well with some logos.

I have an Aussie Toltoys cardback of Star Destroyer Commander and the blue tubing of the logo works really nice with the image.

theslider

Sith Lord
Why anyone would think the trilogo cardbacks are the best is beyond me! Apart from the alternate photos there is nothing going on them for me!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom