Facebook sales pros and cons?

theguiltyone

Sith Lord
Hi folks, considering I took myself off FB some years ago, is it any good for selling vintage SW?
Pros and cons most welcome.

Thanks
marc

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Hi Mark,

Pros.

• MUCH bigger selection than forums and at times even ebay.
    Most groups are closed, and scammers are booted in quick fashion.
    Sometimes prices are far better than anywhere else.
    A good sense of comraderie, as many times people will tag you if they see something you're looking for.

Cons.

• Even though scammers are banned quickly, there is always the chance of getting taken that first time before they get the boot.
    Sometimes prices are far worse than anywhere else.
    Competition is nuts. Good stuff is gone in minutes, if not seconds.
    "Watching" an item is brutal, due to the way facebook posts are buried quickly.
    It's full of flippers, who completely take over a sale page with multiple overpriced sales, one after the other, burying other people's sales threads with their own.

Best bet is to join a few groups, see who the active members are, and buy from them/ask them for advice on sellers you'd like feedback on.

Good luck.

Ian

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yep much as I'd love to tell you forums are the fastest way to sell, I'd be lying. Facebook has a massive audience and anything reasonably priced usually gets snapped up within minutes.

However, although most of the 'big ticket' collectors are on Facebook the majority of people on there are what I would call 'basic collectors' fighting over loose figures and cheap MOCs. Assuming you want to sell some of your high end stuff, I imagine most of those buyers still check all the forums.

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
I stayed away from Facebook for along time , however started a few weeks ago and already have got 3 12 backs to finish my 12 back run , got them a lot cheaper than eBay.

However they were still no cheap :shock:

x-pack

Grand Master
It's mostly the same cons as eBay as far as I can see. On this forum if you don't know the seller then someone else will. Very rarely do things go badly wrong. On eBay or FB there are so many sellers chances are you won't have a clue who they are or what their selling history is really like.

stormcab

Sith Lord
I've been on several FB groups for a few months now, and I only recall one MOC going for cheaper than I've seen on eBay. I did a sales test and successfully sold a figure with no agro at all.

I will personally offer any items I have in future here first, then I will offer them on FB.

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
stormcab said:
I've been on several FB groups for a few months now, and I only recall one MOC going for cheaper than I've seen on eBay. I did a sales test and successfully sold a figure with no agro at all.

I will personally offer any items I have in future here first, then I will offer them on FB.

Many of them are buying on Ebay and flipping above Ebay value on the groups creating inflated values.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
That post on the trilogo group this week sums it up for me. All that "I'm going to sell all these figures. I'm not going to tell you when until I'm ready and not publish prices until then but I'm such a ****ing celebrity because i have spent about 50k in 12 months and now I'm the ****ing man". If you want to sell the ****ing things just publish a picture and a price. They are just trilogos and every single one can be brought off eBay any day of the week.

I'm not a fan of Facebook sales. All the stuff I have had off Facebook has been brought from the likes of soj, Walkie, dj bighair and a couple of other people I know from the forums.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Mr-shifter said:
That post on the trilogo group this week sums it up for me. All that "I'm going to sell all these figures. I'm not going to tell you when until I'm ready and not publish prices until then but I'm such a ****ing celebrity because i have spent about 50k in 12 months and now I'm the ****ing man". If you want to sell the ****ing things just publish a picture and a price.

LOL!

Who was that? I am betting one of three possible names.....

Ian

ODB

Jedi Master
Mr-shifter said:
That post on the trilogo group this week sums it up for me. All that "I'm going to sell all these figures. I'm not going to tell you when until I'm ready and not publish prices until then but I'm such a ****ing celebrity because i have spent about 50k in 12 months and now I'm the ****ing man". If you want to sell the ****ing things just publish a picture and a price. They are just trilogos and every single one can be brought off eBay any day of the week.

I'm not a fan of Facebook sales. All the stuff I have had off Facebook has been brought from the likes of soj, Walkie, dj bighair and a couple of other people I know from the forums.

I saw that, must puncture his ego that I am not impressed by him at all. I can't abide facebook, its has an awful interface for anything other than the latest post. But it does seem to have taken the wind out of Ebay and forum sales though.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Yep, just found it, and it was indeed one of the three I expected.

And......

The group he intends to sell them on has deleted his sale thread, TWICE! :lol:

Maybe the one on the trilogo page should also be deleted, since he's not even going to use it for the actual sale? :twisted:

Ian

stormcab

Sith Lord
tiefighterboy said:
stormcab said:

Many of them are buying on Ebay and flipping above Ebay value on the groups creating inflated values.

Very daft, as I'm sure they're clued up enough on there to pull anyone doing that.

The guy selling the tris had his post removed twice by mods because it wasn't a sales post.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Well, he spat the dummy and just put them up for sale. It's the admins fault apparently for deleting his presale posts.

Some of the prices are typically eye watering, although I thought the $400 on the leia hoth was probably not unreasonable. $600 for an r2 Pop up and $750 for a 75 Luke stormie, whatever the **** 75 means. Good old yak up for a cool $1800 if you have lost all leave of your senses.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I'm hearing very little that's positive from you guys about facebook. I don't really have the time or inclination to be looking all over the place on multiple sites for the lower priced items I'm after. I've acquired most of my collection on ebay and this forum (in the last year) with no problems and I'm happy with that :D

theguiltyone

Sith Lord
Thanks for the comments.
Besides the 12 back group, which other vintage groups would be worth joining if I'm looking to sell pre prod 2D pieces?

marc

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
stormcab said:
tiefighterboy said:
stormcab said:

Very daft, as I'm sure they're clued up enough on there to pull anyone doing that.

The guy selling the tris had his post removed twice by mods because it wasn't a sales post.

50% of them have no clue and have gobs of money to throw.

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
The main con is that it clogs up your FB feed. I followed a few groups for a weekk or two, but every other post on my feed was some weaponless beaters for sale or someone asking the value of the door off an AT-ST that they found in their nan's loft

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom