I've not bought anything for TFA yet, am i the only 1?

Jez

Sith Lord
Lads, apart from not having loads of spare cash and being so busy with work i'm almost a social recluse; i simply haven't been compelled to buy anything yet from TFA.

I'm so far just a Vintage Collector (hence this post being in this thread).

I see so many people buying all this new stuff and exchanging Topps Cards and having fancy apps etc. I haven't even bought the book Aftermath yet, because no one i know has actually finished it yet (thats the biggest non review review i need).

I collect the Vintage cus i had it as a kid, but i just can't be drawn to the new stuff yet.
Don't get me wrong, i'm probably just as big a fan, if not bigger than you, and i am massively optimistic for the new series of films (and have been since Essen) but i just don't get all this grown men rushing to buy toys which are simply toys, not child hood memories.
I'm so torn. Half of me thinks i should be, half of me thinks don't be a dick.

At least all this spending might be having a positive effect on Vintage prices.

Am i alone?

spoons

Grand Master
Im exactly the same Jez

Really looking forward to the film and may buy the kids some figs but no appeal as yet.

I showed my son some of the figures in the Smyths catalogue and he was more interested in the Rebels stuff - he said 'but the film isn't even out yet'

Wise words

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
You're not alone mate. They new toys don't float my boat at all but I will be buying some for my son for xmas.

I think it's partly because I got sucked into the prequel hype and regretted that big time, that, and new toys have no appeal for me, I'm strictly vintage.

The only thing I have from TFA is a Jap press brochure which I posted up in LA thread, because I collect that stuff too and it's the only thing I've seen that I've wanted.

I am looking forward to playing with those Nerf guns on xmas morning with Zac though :)

Fishtalk

Jedi Knight
Zero interest in the Merchandise so far. Even if I love the movie I doubt that will change, vintage is my passion. Was pushing my trolly round the Supermarket the other day and passed a large display of TFA stuff, didn't even slow down.

starshipriot

Jedi Master
Same. As much as I like seeing new characters on shelves I cant justify spending money when I dont feel the toys are worth the money. Severely tempted by a chewie nerf bowcaster mind..

Robstyley

Sith Lord
You're first instinct is usually the right one Jez. The fact you didn't dash out and buy any prob means you're not bothered. I'm with you. I'm curious but I don't want to spend any money on them. I would rather spend it on vintage. I did get bought 1 figure last week for my birthday from my mate and his wife - a Tie Fighter Pilot. I like it and I'm glad to have it as it was a gift from them but I won't be getting any more.

Jez

Sith Lord
Well i'm glad i'm not alone lads.
I'm totally outgunned on the Podcast team, they're all buying this and buying that. I had to remind them we're called The Vintage Rebellion :lol: :roll: Well i am the bright one 8)

I have bought something non vintage recently but not TFA, tenuously linked to vintage, ok def vintage but 2015 not 1977.
If i get chance to sort it/them tomorrow i might post a photo.
Late 40th birthday pressies from the wife.

laurencedyer

Jedi Knight
My thoughts are the same as everyone else's as a vintage collector and the nostalgic link, no interest in any of the new stuff with one exception, that little BB8 looks a cool little thing and my little girl may get one on Xmas day , think I might be more excited for her than she could be once she opens it though! :roll:

lejackal

Grand Master
I haven't bought anything yet, although I have had a few items in my hand. About a year ago I did think I was going to try and pick a few things that might go up in value (c*nt I know) but having fully embraced the toys of my childhood that idea is out the window.

Much more satisfying getting a beaten up tri logo for £20 than something with random extra armour for £15.

The only thing that really has me interested is the 6" scale TIE but its a bit steep this side of the pond.

poncho

Grand Master
vintage all the way for me ive no interest in modern figures! theres no appeal for me whatsoever. il cast a glance in the supermarket aisle at the new starwars stuff but thats it. the only modern i like is starwars lego and even then it has to be OT themed not rebels, prequels or tfa....OT starwars lego is awesome 8)

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Robstyley said:
You're first instinct is usually the right one Jez. The fact you didn't dash out and buy any prob means you're not bothered. I'm with you. I'm curious but I don't want to spend any money on them. I would rather spend it on vintage. I did get bought 1 figure last week for my birthday from my mate and his wife - a Tie Fighter Pilot. I like it and I'm glad to have it as it was a gift from them but I won't be getting any more.

Happy belated birthday hope you had a good one. :p

_Lee_

Sith Lord
Richard_H said:
**** me does _Lee_ has sock accounts? :lol:

And I've finished Aftermath Jez. It's a7/10

You northern basstaad!!! :D

Well, ive taken today and Monday off with the wife and was in town today. It is the first time i have EVER bypassed any Star Wars displays / sales. The quick glimpse still said it all to me though, expensive stuff for what it is , and ridiculous. My wife actually bought me an 18" Jakks Stormtrooper in another shop which i love, and at £16 for that compared to £10 for a TFA figure its no contest.

I fail to see the attraction of why people spend such amounts on the new stuff, but its their choice

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
_Lee_ said:
I fail to see the attraction of why people spend such amounts on the new stuff, but its their choice

1, its star wars
2, its star wars
3, it brings back a little bit of that feeling to when we were kids looking into the store wishing we had unlimited funds to buy everything we wanted..
<shouty froth mode ON>
4, ITS FREAKIN STAR WARS AND THIS IS A PLACE WHERE STAR WARS COLLECTORS GATHER.. WTF DO YOU THINK A STAR WARS COLLECTOR IS GOING TO DO IN A SHOP FULL OF NEW STAR WARS STUFF???????????????? ARE WE STARTING TO SEE THE ATTRACTION YET LEE?????????
<shouty froth mode OFF>

:D

tiefighterboy

Grand Master
naughtyjedi said:
_Lee_ said:

1, its star wars
2, its star wars
3, it brings back a little bit of that feeling to when we were kids looking into the store wishing we had unlimited funds to buy everything we wanted..
<shouty froth mode ON>
4, ITS FREAKIN STAR WARS AND THIS IS A PLACE WHERE STAR WARS COLLECTORS GATHER.. WTF DO YOU THINK A STAR WARS COLLECTOR IS GOING TO DO IN A SHOP FULL OF NEW STAR WARS STUFF???????????????? ARE WE STARTING TO SEE THE ATTRACTION YET LEE?????????
<shouty froth mode OFF>

But it's not vintage star wars. :wink:

Ian_C

Jedi Master
Jez said:
Well i'm glad i'm not alone lads.
I'm totally outgunned on the Podcast team, they're all buying this and buying that. I had to remind them we're called The Vintage Rebellion :lol: :roll: Well i am the bright one 8)

This is what I am so far LOVING this forum for - the other place people in the VINTAGE section are making ME feel like the outcast for wanting it to be kept to vintage, and a simple request to take TFA discussion to an appropriate place.

Looks like a bunch of like minded people here, and that's awesome.

naughtyjedi said:
_Lee_ said:

1, its star wars
2, its star wars
<shouty froth mode ON>
<shouty froth mode OFF>

From a guy who was a modern era completist from 1995-2005, I agree with Lee. It's not "vintage" Star Wars, in this "vintage" Star Wars forum. ;) I've looked at a lot of the new toys when passing by the toy aisles, and a much higher percentage of them now look goofy, like the old POTF2 deluxe Han Solo with the massive contraption on his back.

Even when I was collecting the modern stuff hardcore 10-20 years ago, the rush was nothing similar to the rush I had as a kid. Completely different feeling. As a kid, I felt awe at all the stuff available. As an adult, despite habitually buying it all, it wasn't awe, more like an addiction.

Ian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom