Paploo Baggie with 'LL' stamp

PalitoyBoy

Youngling
Hi there.

I'm new to this site but have had my collection from being a child. I grew up in Coalville, Leicestershire where the Palitoy factory was based and bought most of my toys from Geoff Halls Toyshop in the town.

Anyway, after 15 years I have got my collection out of storage to use the modern internet to audit a value it all, and complete the basic figure collection which is 8 short.

One of the items is quite curious. It is a Paploo figure in a MIM baggie - which whilst obviously uncommon anyway, has a LL stamp on it in addition to the KENNER and Made In Mexico marks. I'm guessing this means LiLi Ledy but I cannot find another example of this sort of marking anywhere.

I have attached a picture (I think) and would welcome any help at all.

Thank you
Paploo.png

Jez

Sith Lord
Hi, I'm sure Funkster (Frank) will be along soon. He is our resident Baggie King (and a smashing bloke to boot). He'll know for sure.

laurencedyer

Jedi Knight
Nice item, as Jez said Frank will be along shortly.
Do you still live in Coalville out of curiosity?

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
That is a new one on me! Thanks for sharing.... and with your blessing I'd like to post this up in the Lili Ledy facebook group - I am sure some of the Mexican collectors there will be able to help with more info.

elcroz

Padawan
Hi Palitoyboy,

Ever so slightly off topic... Please may we have a look at that display? I've not seen one like it? Looks like it's gonna be all sorts of awesome.

PalitoyBoy

Youngling
Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome.
I've since been conversing with Frank on Facebook, he's been rather helpful, but has not seen anything matching this description before. He put forward a theory that this may be the format in which figures arrived at the carding factory.
It's great to preside over something that seems unique but annoying that answers are elusive at the same time!
Yes I'm happy for this to be shared wherever of course.
And no I don't live in Coalville anymore - though I have a buy to let in Elliston nearby & my Dad lives in Ibstock so still a lot of connections to the area. The misty memories of Geoff Halls in the precinct are really happy ones.

I'll put a picture of the display below, only recently finished, you'll see I'm 8 figures short currently (and a fair few accessories) and keen to complete it.

Thanks all for whatever help you can give.
Regards
Gary
display.png

PalitoyBoy

Youngling
robpmarsh said:
Nice display!

And is that a VCJ I see on the top shelf?

Well there you see you've gone and pointed out the one and only repro in the display!

The figure itself is the larger eyed Hong Kong version, but it had no cape, and so repro was really the only option there.

Maybe one day, but the gaps are the first priority.

PalitoyBoy

Youngling
The display is from
http://www.figuredisplay.com/

The Paploo Baggie I bought in what I think was the year 2000 from a shop called The Toy Emporium in Bridgenorth UK.

I remember it well as there were only a couple of Star Wars items in there, one of which was Han Solo in Carbonite with an open card back. I didn't have it at the time and really wanted it but didn't have the £90 to pay for it. So I settled for the Paploo Baggie for £30. Looks like a lucky twist.

PalitoyBoy

Youngling
I've emailed the shop today in the remote hope he might have a sales ledger from the time stating where he got it from.

lejackal

Grand Master
PalitoyBoy said:
So I settled for the Paploo Baggie for £30. Looks like a lucky twist.

It could well be, Frank has a very rare Power Droid baggie which is about half way to 4 figures and if this is as rare as that I imagine you'd see a decent return on the £30, however, you would likely never be able to replace it!

PalitoyBoy

Youngling
I really want to complete the loose collection for the display and so am not adverse to letting it go if it'll help make a dent in the last 8. It's great doing all this research work though.

I'll see what comes from the Mexican FB group.

PalitoyBoy

Youngling
Just a quick update to thank you all for your kind words and help.
Whilst I've learnt a lot more about it still nothing is concrete. I've had an awful lot of interest from Mexican Lili Ledy collectors and a few offers but I'm probably going to hold on to it for now in the hope that some more detail might come up in the future.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom