I'm turning variant

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
With all the price hikes on mocs and lack of stuff out there on ebay I've started to turn loose and go variant. Now I've read that some people consider this pretty weird and I must admit it initially felt strange that I'm starting to collect weird and wonderful variations of Luke Farmboy and Bespin. However I'm really enjoying it, it's great to be able to collect and not necessarily worry or feel guilty about shelling out the price of a holiday on a moc!

If anybody else has Luke FB / Bespin variants to sell or share knowledge about I'd be keen to hear as it's all new to me. Whoever knew that there is a red eyed Luke FB or an Orange hair Luke Bespin!

Cheers.

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
Variant collecting is great fun. The thrill of the hunt etc

Here's a coupke of things I put together with regards to LFB and Luke bespin...... :D

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18049

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24829

Cocobean

Padawan
Im a variant collector and it's quite fascinating to see how many variations of one figure there is and I did it for the same reasons as your self and although it's not everyone's cup of tea I love it :)

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Although I'm a handful of figures away from a complete run of loose figures, I've over 150 in my collection. When I'd go through a purchased lot I found myself checking COOs and then looking for variations on mould or paint. It is fun but risks turning what has become an expensive hobby into a ridiculously expensive hobby. I put is down to not actually wanting to complete my loose run as it's fun looking for figures and more affordable than MOCs.

Cocobean

Padawan
ScruffylookingNH I know exactly what you mean at one point if the eyebrows were different I kept them as variations it becomes quite obsessive but as you say it extends the collecting

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
I can relate to this as well. My loose run was originally to be one of each, then the Vcj creeps in, then the dt Luke, and before you know it you have three bossks!

It is great fun though. Some variants go for crazy money but in the whole there are plenty that don't. Only thing I would say is if you want to go for some of the uber rare ones then you may have to compromise on condition.

There are plenty of variants that make Vcjs look positively common, at a fraction of the price. They just aren't considered as sexy.

plantainman

Jedi Master
Welcome to the World of variants.

It is all I have ever known, and I use it as a form of medication against any OCD tendencies lol :D

Below in my signature you'll find an orange link to my COO Variants thread. It's a slow burner, but I do update it when I can. There's five different figures covered already. Its merely a light-hearted guide to show people who want to get into variant collecting what is available out there and how one simple figure can actually be very diverse and complex, so maybe you'll enjoy looking over it.

Best wishes on the hunt for figures.

Neil

welcome to the dark side :twisted:
Loose variants can be great fun to hunt out, just buy what you know to be visibly different ie; different paint apps or accessories, and also what you like. Having several identical figures just because they have different coos will get you some strange looks from "normal" people and you could end up going round the twist :D

walkie

Sith Lord
There's nothing wrong with been a variant collector, most of us are to some without even knowing it. So weather it be figures, moc's or card backs, welcome to the club!!

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I could see myself getting into this. I'm no variant collector but like Scruffy I have many doubles in my loose set, the major variations like big and small head Han, metallic and flat IG-88 etc. It's the visual aspect that appeals to me but I think getting into and learning about Coos is on the cards. I often see the odd one, like a really dark brown Rebel Soldier or something and think - that's cool, wouldn't mind one of them.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
TrisCompany said:
With all the price hikes on mocs and lack of stuff out there on ebay I've started to turn loose and go variant. Now I've read that some people consider this pretty weird and I must admit it initially felt strange that I'm starting to collect weird and wonderful variations of Luke Farmboy and Bespin. However I'm really enjoying it, it's great to be able to collect and not necessarily worry or feel guilty about shelling out the price of a holiday on a moc!

If anybody else has Luke FB / Bespin variants to sell or share knowledge about I'd be keen to hear as it's all new to me. Whoever knew that there is a red eyed Luke FB or an Orange hair Luke Bespin!

Cheers.

Welcome to the dark side :lol: I am also a variant collector, glad to see another variant collector on the forum.

I think I have some luke farmer and luke bespin variants that I need to sell or trade away. I can take look if you like that ?

Good luck with the hunt :wink:

poncho

Grand Master
Robstyley said:
. I often see the odd one, like a really dark brown Rebel Soldier or something and think - that's cool, wouldn't mind one of them.
He is cool! Not cheap though i got a beater last year. Defo want to get! 8)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Me too :oops: but only major ones - small/large head Han, brown/blonde hair Luke, plain/camo lapels Han Trench, etc. I'm not one of those people that calls a slightly different shade of paint that was clearly unintentional a variant. IMO a variant is a deliberate and conscious change to the product, not an accidental colour change or overspray.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Don't blame you for going down this road, I'm the same as Edd with varients though. I spose the good thing is you can go on forever collecting them. Thinking about it the same can be said for MOC's.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
I started off with the same approach as Edd. It soon spiralled out of control. I used to use my wife as the test. If I could put two figures in front of her and she could tell me the difference between them I would be satisfied they were variant enough.

Quite how I have found myself with not one, but both ledi yodas now I don't know. I just put it down to the organic growth of my loose collection and sort of just carried on buying loose figures I like.

It does make collecting more fun though.

poncho

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Me too :oops: but only major ones - small/large head Han, brown/blonde hair Luke, plain/camo lapels Han Trench, etc. I'm not one of those people that calls a slightly different shade of paint that was clearly unintentional a variant. IMO a variant is a deliberate and conscious change to the product, not an accidental colour change or overspray.
Like the orange hair lfb it was just an accident in factory paint spray :roll: looks good but just a spray error!

Lindo

Sith Lord
I find variant collecting confusing and I do worry sometimes that if I get into I would get stung as prices can vary

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom