Header image

New SWFUK Facebook Group

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
BlueDog
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: New SWFUK Facebook Group

Postby BlueDog » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:08 am

Facebook will come and go like every other trend has, it's only here until something comes along to replace it, which will be based on the tech popular in the future. Younger generations are already saying they have no interest in FB as it's for old people :lol:. Facebook use amongst 13 -17 yr olds is down something like 25% in the last year alone.

Think about it if you were 13 again would you be using something your parents think is trendy?

It's true that some forums have taken a knock thanks to FB but as said earlier SWFUK hasn't, largely due to the fact it's a relaxed community and a valuable resource.
Last edited by BlueDog on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Ya!

Dublinjeff
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Dublinjeff » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:52 pm

Request sent :D
Looking for Toltoys/Harbert Boxed Landspeeder....

Jez
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Jez » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Is this an attack on Echo Base??? :D

I've been added by someone already :)
Worth a try Edd. I do think it might get some more traffic here, but i also fear that we might see a slight decline in forum sales posts etc.

On a positive, it might bring some of us closer, "ah Facebook friends"

Great joke Ben

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Facebook might be the way for selling.

RifleSmile
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby RifleSmile » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:18 pm

Request sent Edd - Thanks

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:24 pm

I think the nicest part about the new group is that SWF members are putting usernames to faces (and real names) after such a long time. Many of the people that have popped up in the SWF group I haven't seen at all in the other groups!

Just wanted to say something about it all though and Edd's stated similar on FB - don't think for one moment that the group is replacing the forum or that you should start posting things over there that you would usually post here. SWF is without a doubt the last really active Vintage forum out there and we don't want that to change, so continue to enjoy the forum as you have been doing till now :)
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

BadMotivator
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby BadMotivator » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:02 am

I don't think I'm going to join. I joined a few other FB groups and just got tired of all the updates. But that's not to say others won't enjoy it.

I will say that as someone who does this for a living, if you think setting up a FB group won't reduce interaction on here, you're crazy. People aren't going to post the same thing twice for the same audience. Every post a SWFUK member makes on FB is a post that could have been on here but won't be.

Could I suggest that you don't allow sales threads on the FB page?
I think most FB group members are on there to buy stuff, so if you let members post links to their new sales threads but not actually show the individual items, prices etc, that would encourage any new users you attract through FB to join the forum.
Last edited by BadMotivator on Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ian Botham died to bring us this information."

JimboUK1979
Regular
Regular

Postby JimboUK1979 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:27 am

Mr-shifter wrote:
SublevelStudios wrote:
Mr-shifter wrote:Sent you a join request.

I got thrown out of my first group yesterday. Seems the loose variant group doesn't have a sense of humour. I must spend too much time on swfuk.

What happened mate? :cry: Didn't see anything go down yesterday.

I used my Jeremy Beadle joke and applied it to the photo of the boba fett with the short shot hand.

The original went: Jeremy Beadle has a small dick, but then on the other hand, it's massive.

I thought I was being funny. Within 10 seconds the comment was gone and I was out. Perhaps something got lost in translation.

I'm pretty sure on the same thread I'd got a horrific Beadle joke typed in ready to fire out but I shit out at the last minute and deleted it! Lol! Whatever happens to free speech?!

Alas-1
Regular
Regular

Postby Alas-1 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:21 pm

I don't actively post on the forums, not since early 2000's.
Facebook is an up close and personal way of collecting.
No hiding behind usernames...
Forums are - for me - the difference between Facebook and Twitter. People are different and I think they come across that way.

Twitter folks are different, act different I think. Facebook is a friends and family type deal... Facebook groups are ONLY active because it is a top notch app and keeps you notified flawlessly. If they weren't that good on that side of things, it wouldn't stand a chance...

I don't really know what my point is I'm trying to say but I'll end with this. I haven't check for spelling errors and shit... and the Jeremy beadle joke was a fuckin cracker! But...

Forums NEED to stay!
If you all the above good on you!

Carl.

Dr_Ball_MD
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dr_Ball_MD » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:49 pm

Request sent :D

Marky

Cazza
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Cazza » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:41 pm

Not sure about this. Left Facebook a few months ago. Just got fed up with it on every level, especially it's invasiveness. Really hope we don't lose all the sales from here to the Facebook group :(
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby maxf » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:49 pm

I'm not so sure about this - I'd hate for this forum (and the hard work it must have taken to keep it going for 10 years) to be lost in the hundreds of FB groups.

Would it be an idea to try and differentiate the FB group from the forum maybe - how about it being the 'SWFUK Social Page'? FB is really suited to social stuff - the FB group could be where some of the off topic banter and chat happens, with the deep and meaningful SW chat and sales are still directed here?
Detailed WTB list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243

Includes: Loose figures, Palitoy MOCs, Meccano 20bks, Vehicles, Mailers, Paperwork and more.

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:33 pm

I was wondering if we could encourage the continuation of the sales thread being held here on the Forum with a link to each sale posted on FB (if the seller is on there of course) rather than the actual sales migrating over to FB.
That way the regulars on here still get the host of great deals we all benefit from as we'll as increasing site traffic to that thread as a minimum and hopefully other threads will be checked out while the new guys and girls are here for a purchase...
I note that Iain already does a similar thing with other group(s) on FB and as an observer it seems to work, maybe he can chip in on how it has worked or not.
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

itfciain
Approved Trader
Approved Trader

Postby itfciain » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:04 pm

SAVORY100 wrote:I note that Iain already does a similar thing with other group(s) on FB and as an observer it seems to work, maybe he can chip in on how it has worked or not.

As a rule I try to list the thread up on here and then in about an hour I put a link onto the Yavin group (you can't post external links to the Echo group) so would be more than happy to link it to the SWFUK group as well

I do have a lot of success selling on here, and for me it is more than just getting the top price - it is dealing with people I know and that know me. Expectations are more manageable on here as well. I am getting a bit sick an tired of delivery expectations from buyers - eBay is clearly the worst (just had a case opened up for something purchased 6 days ago - didn't even know you could open them so quickly) but the number of messages I get each day from people chasing their orders can be a bit of a drain.

FB does open you up to more people - but then you do get the odd plank - I posted a reply to a WTB thread the other day for a Jabba Playset - chap tells me he will pay in the evening so I miss 2-3 other potential buyers - and then he announces that he doesn't want one anymore as it is too tall !!

Posting on here first also means that there is a record of the sale that you can link to - FB posts, especially on the bigger groups don't tend to stay up the top for too long - the only 'annoyance' is the time it takes to sort out the pictures - but not sure there is too much Edd can do about that

So, my (long winded) advise would be to keep posting the sales threads on here and then link to them for the FB groups
"I'll probably be broke and homeless but I'll have a hell of a collection!"

For all your display requirements - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26287

And for vintage goodness - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/iainitfc/_i.html?_sop=3&rt=nc

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:12 pm

itfciain wrote:FB does open you up to more people - but then you do get the odd plank - I posted a reply to a WTB thread the other day for a Jabba Playset - chap tells me he will pay in the evening so I miss 2-3 other potential buyers - and then he announces that he doesn't want one anymore as it is too tall !!

Sorry, was yours the special Dutch variant that's slightly taller than his yank compatriot? :shock:

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”