John Menzies Posters?

darth_daddius

Jedi Knight
I've seen reference to John Menzies posters that were offered as inclusions to a few vehicles. What do they look like?

I saw a Jedi one on ebay, but were there different ones for each movie?

Cheers and thanks,
Pat

Cymonguk

Padawan
palitoy-spbike-model-ad-johnmenzies.jpg

Is the one you know I think? I think it was a poster you could get in store if you spent over £5 on star wars. Dont think Menzies did anything else though that I can see.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
That's a very cool poster, thanks for sharing. Good to see the grey X-Wing on it. Will have to try and hunt one of those posters down: got very fond memories of John Menzies :) I can't imagine they're cheap?

Dorsetmark

Jedi Master
I remember them, that speeder bike with no switches
Always thought it was a crap version, so got mine from Boots :?
Does anyone else remember boots selling toys or was it just in Poole

spoons

Grand Master
Dorsetmark said:
I remember them, that speeder bike with no switches
Always thought it was a crap version, so got mine from Boots :?
Does anyone else remember boots selling toys or was it just in Poole

The front on the speeder is on upside down too :lol:

Great poster though

Joe

Grand Master
The speeder bike on the poster is one of the coolest pieces ever: http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=55993 Great read too, one of my all time favourite entries on the archive.

poncho

Grand Master
Joe said:
The speeder bike on the poster is one of the coolest pieces ever: http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=55993 Great read too, one of my all time favourite entries on the archive.
That bike mock up went all around the world it seems! And ended up in a box of toys sold to a comic store in australia in 98! Im amazed it survived considering it was made of resin and paintbrush handles. I enjoyed that read cheers joe

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Thanks for sharing, I don't think ive seen that pic before of a John Menzies poster. I don't recall ever seeing one come up for sale...

I guess my local John Menzies in Epsom did have Star Wars figures but I don't remember seeing them there. I do however have good memories of purchasing various ZX Spectrum games there back in the day... Jet Set Willy, Atic Atac, Knight Lore, great stuff!

Dorsetmark

Jedi Master
Only had a small John Menzies in Poole that only stoked a few Star Wars figures and remember seeing that poster, you would have had to spend a lot of £1.49 to get given it

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
John Menzies in Argyll Street, Glasgow was the city's best SW place. John Menzies is one of the places I get excited about when I get a piece with their price sticker on, because I'm funny like that. I'm not alone - I once saw a carrier bag of theirs go for £50. Crazy when you think that many of the toys carried home in them don't go for that.

There is Menzies SW paperwork on eBay at the moment but it's too rich for my blood.

ETA I don't remember paperwork before ROTJ. The bigger stores were selling toys then but they went mad for the stuff come 1983.

Nita Nitro

Jedi Knight
I remember the poster, and it did bother me that the front was upside down, but after reading the history of the bike, I think it adds something to it. Happy memories of the John Menzies in my hometown selling Star Wars toys and picking up an R5-D4 and a speeder bike for something like 49p each. Total bargain :D

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
As the 7 days are gone I think it's safe to highlight this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272139931336?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

For when the link goes dead it was an auction for a John Menzies poster (same style as above with the prototype Speeder Bike) and sold in Feb for a whopping £187.98 (inc P&P). What was interesting is the seller mentions it was rolled rather than folded and believed, therefore, it was one meant for instore display and promotion rather than one that was given away as they were (apparently) folded. That said, the one posted up earlier int his thread shows no signs of creasing, either. Either way, stunning item but more than I was willing to pay for one, super rare or not. It measures a generous 84cm x 60cm.

The seller had some incredible paperwork for sale including two more John Menzies fliers (will copy and paste photos in for when the link goes down and future reference):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/John-Menzies-UK-vinatge-star-wars-comp-flyer-2-Mint-condition-extremely-rare-/272139939355?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=brG4bGTAItVOXqGA%252FwSjPt58yFI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

This one sold for £57.08 (incl P&P). It (and the second flier below) measure 21 x 15cm.

JM1s.jpg

JM2s.jpg

The second instore flier sold for £66 (incl P&P):

JM3s.jpg

JM4s.jpg

They'll look brilliant if displayed altogether in a frame. Congrats to the buyer if they're here.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
They started for higher than my flyers budget.

But, on the bright side, I bought a cardback today with a Fine Fare label on it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom