Differences?

Usetheforceluke

Padawan
As I'm still relatively new to collecting is there a website that shows the differences in figures as I'm guessing the American line was kenner and the English line palitoy and there are two versions of every figure? Or am I talking shite!?

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Yeah you're barking up the wrong tree fella. There are different versions of some figures often called "variants or variations" but there's not necessarily 2 of each and it has little to do with them being from Kenner or Palitoy packaging. I think there are some variants that are known to originate from a certain country, factory or on only a certain cardback etc. but it's quite complex and I'm no expert. For example a Vinyl cape Jawa was only found on a 12 back. Rebelscum.com mentions some major variations but to find more details and about minor variations search the internet and forums for info.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
If you were talking about MOC's (unopened figures) you are right to a point. The Kenner ones have a Kenner logo and the Palitoy up to about a 41 back I think (someone will correct me) have a Palitoy logo and after that no logo. There are other subtle differences on the cards as well.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
There is no single resource covering every figure variation as there are just too many and many more still being discovered. Wolff, lars and Dublin Jeff have put together some great guides on this forum.

The major variations like blue snaggletooth, big head Han etc are what most people go for when completing a loose run but it won't take long before you're hunting out pale faced dengars and metalic Ig88's. :lol:

There is a great image somewhere showing the full line up including major variations. Can another member post a link? I don't have it on my phone

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Variations? Are you kidding? It's taking me forever to put the last 17 together!!! It'll be next Christmas before I get on to variations.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Usetheforceluke

Padawan
I've been on jedi business.com for basic variants but when I see people talking about palitoy 41 back or kenner 12 back I haven't a clue what's going on lol. I just wanted the initial 12 figures mint condition on card but having seen the prices I'm back and forth on mint loose or mint graded!

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Usetheforceluke said:
I've been on jedi business.com for basic variants but when I see people talking about palitoy 41 back or kenner 12 back I haven't a clue what's going on lol. I just wanted the initial 12 figures mint condition on card but having seen the prices I'm back and forth on mint loose or mint graded!

If you're back and forward you probably need to start on loose as it's a much easier mistake to undo if you change your mind later, and you'll get decent experience of all the pitfalls for less risk.

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Here is a good place to start:

http://swspaceclub.com/wbobafett/2013/11/02/coo-guide-3-0/

There are multiple variants of each figure, depending on where and when they were manufactured. Differences in the sculpts, accessories and paint apps. Even in the materials used. It's a pretty much never ending quest. It's great though, because there is enough out there to keep you loose collecting for a lifetime.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Robstyley said:
If you were talking about MOC's (unopened figures) you are right to a point. The Kenner ones have a Kenner logo and the Palitoy up to about a 41 back I think (someone will correct me) have a Palitoy logo and after that no logo. There are other subtle differences on the cards as well.

Almost right Pal, the Palitoy logo on cards disappeared after the 45a :wink:

sith-smith

Grand Master
Yep the logo (and eventual lack of) is the most noticeable difference.

The offers and the images on the back of cards also vary between the two

Robstyley

Sith Lord
12 back - 12 figures available to buy at that point and a picture of the 12 on the back. 65 back - 65 figures available to buy at that point with the 65 on the back etc. Also within each you'll have 12a,12b c etc and each will have a different back on the card with a different image of toys for sale or a different special offer or something.

Usetheforceluke

Padawan
Ah that makes all sense now! Thanks! I've seen a lot of mint figures from the first 12 on ebay with mint cards. Obviously resealed and not the original cards but they look so realistic and real! Are they worth buying or are they frowned upon?

sith-smith

Grand Master
Generally speaking there's nothing wrong with it as sealed MOC are out of many people's price range and so they can make a substitute.

Issues tend to be more with reproduction cards and reseals being sold as legit sealed examples. There are a number of unscrupulous individuals out there sadly.

Usetheforceluke

Padawan
Oh no the ones I've seen on ebay make it very clear they are repro cards with the genuine figures resealed on. Look very genuine and at £50 a figure I'd be tempted but wanted to know if anyone else has bought any like this?

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Generally around here we say NO to repro! Prob 99% of the guys on here and most vintage collectors do not collect reproduction MOC's. We like the real thing but as Gary stated a reseal (all genuine components put back together) is very different to a reproduction (only genuine part being the figure). Also, when you buy one of these 50 quid repro MOC's they may look the business but say you bought a Leia Organa chances are the cape will be fake, the weapon almost certainly fake, the figure likely repainted inside a fake bubble on a fake card. So the only real part is the bare Leia worth maybe a tenner. It's a lot of money for a lot of fake **** basically, I wouldn't bother :|

darth_daddius

Jedi Knight
Don't do it. You'll be sorry in time to come that what you have is not real.

If they are out of your price range right now, focus on loose figures or cardbacks. Genuine reseals (with genuine cards, bubbles, accessories and footers) are OK if they are stated as such, but the repro cards, etc are not viewed favorably and you will always know they are fake.

Cheers and welcome,
Pat

lejackal

Grand Master
MOC don't always have to be expensive, Iain recently sold several under £40 on here, not mint obviously but 1000% better than a fake and 6/7 of them half the price of the £50 fake.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom