Royal Mail Price Increases - 29/03/2016

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
FFS the charge too much as it is and now they are raising the prices. Like everything else in the UK premium prices but basement service. no wonder so many people use other courier services, but then again I suppose they have to make money for all their shareholders :eek:

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Postmen are no different to any other industry. You get good ones and bad ones but don't label them all the same.

I think the biggest problem Royal Mail will have with this is staying competitive. I think a lot of people still use The post office because they are the post office.

itfciain

Grand Master
Honestly, on the whole the Royal Mail do a really good job. For about a quid they can get you a figure from Norwich to Aberdeen in about a day - put a quids worth of petrol in your car and see how far you get

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
itfciain said:
Honestly, on the whole the Royal Mail do a really good job. For about a quid they can get you a figure from Norwich to Aberdeen in about a day - put a quids worth of petrol in your car and see how far you get

If I could put 5000 figures in the back of my car and drive to Aberdeen and back I wouldn't be too fussed about petrol at a pound a piece though ;)

itfciain

Grand Master
Mr-shifter said:
itfciain said:

If I could put 5000 figures in the back of my car and drive to Aberdeen and back I wouldn't be too fussed about petrol at a pound a piece though ;)

haha - if only it were that simple

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
jedi_masters said:
What gave it away!! :lol: :lol:

Haha gotcha :lol:

I think Iain is right but I'll add that it could be some completely remote village in Cornwall and some completely remote village in Scotland and it'd still get there for a quid when no other commercial company would even offer that service.

decipher28

Padawan
Bunglebubs said:
I suppose they have to make money for all their shareholders

This was one of my concerns when it was privatised.Company profits,corporate greed,and payouts to shareholders always take a precedent when companies get floated on the stock exchnge.They used to be a public service.

The other thing is if royal mail are now in private ownership,correct me if im wrong.But doesn't it theoretically not belong to the crown anymore,and therefore perhaps make the logo of the crown defunct.

news like this will give sellers a little ammo to up delivery costs and some will take the piss with it.

itfciain

Grand Master
They put their prices up very year - but so do most other companies as well - fuel costs, wages etc all go up so I am not sure why people are shocked that delivery prices go up as well

As for privatisation you can argue about that all day long, but in the Royal Mails case, something had to be done to make them more competitive - they were being stuffed with all the dross deliveries and the private companies were getting all the lucrative package business

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
I love the RM (except their shocking claims handling!). As Iain says, you can't argue with the rates. And £2.85 to send up to 2kg anywhere in the UK? I'll take that all day long. A penny on a 1st/2nd Class stamp and 5p on a 2kg parcel isn't going to affect anyone, and if you're that bothered by it then buy stamps in bulk before the price rises.

Good value and, on the whole, great service. Nope, not a postie but a RM shareholder :D

mumbo

Sith Lord
To this date never had a problem with RM and saying that have also been lucky enough to avoid any myHermes mishaps. I'll continue to use both and will just have to reflect the RM increases when selling any items, simples :)

kingshearer

Jedi Master
I was actually thinking about buying a grands worth of stamps and keeping them for 10 years and then cashing them back in at the post office, got to be better than any saving account (since sometimes stamps go up 5p or more) but I'm not sure if they'd take them back. I know they're legal tender but not sure if you could exchange them back for money at 10 years time prices. Anyone know?

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
kingshearer said:
I was actually thinking about buying a grands worth of stamps and keeping them for 10 years and then cashing them back in at the post office, got to be better than any saving account (since sometimes stamps go up 5p or more) but I'm not sure if they'd take them back. I know they're legal tender but not sure if you could exchange them back for money at 10 years time prices. Anyone know?
Stamps aren't legal tender. But then again, technically, neither are Scottish notes anywhere in the UK (including Scotland!). You can however use them to pay for goods at the shopkeeper's discretion.

I've got to admit I don't think the price rises are too bad - I must admit I wasn't aware of them though, so thanks for the heads up :)

kingshearer

Jedi Master
peekaygee73 said:
kingshearer said:
Stamps aren't legal tender. But then again, technically, neither are Scottish notes anywhere in the UK (including Scotland!). You can however use them to pay for goods at the shopkeeper's discretion.

I've got to admit I don't think the price rises are too bad - I must admit I wasn't aware of them though, so thanks for the heads up :)
Thanks for clearing that up and dashing my hopes, yet another urban myth.

Starzone

Padawan
I still think Royal Mail is good value for the service they provide, rarely get any problems and many low value parcels that go missing I think are simply scammers playing the system.

Now Myhermes And Yodel on the other hand ........ :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom