Header image

TT being creative or a real mis-card?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.

tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: TT being creative or a real mis-card?

Postby tiefighterboy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:51 pm

It's FX Toys. He has been covering sticker damage and doing other shady things. Problem is some of his stuff is legit...you just never know what.

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:05 pm

Before the toni scandal broke these were always considered legit Palitoy miscards (same goes for Madine/Chewbacca). I'm not sure that opinion has changed since the bomb was dropped or?

Real or fake, all I do know for sure is that the guy that dropped $2.5k on it on eBay has more money than sense. He's on RS asking if it's a toni..after winning it for that amount of money!
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby tiefighterboy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:07 pm

Classic...a little late for that. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jedisearcher
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby jedisearcher » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:16 pm

Joe wrote:Before the toni scandal broke these were always considered legit Palitoy miscards (same goes for Madine/Chewbacca). I'm not sure that opinion has changed since the bomb was dropped or?

Real or fake, all I do know for sure is that the guy that dropped $2.5k on it on eBay has more money than sense. He's on RS asking if it's a toni..after winning it for that amount of money!

Yeah that was where I saw it Joe. I think opinion has to change doesn't it with all the new evidence and doubts? I'd never seen one before, but there's just too much coincidence to make it likely it's legit, unless it has other features of a legit card.
WTB thread - most Palitoy 30b's and 3 debut 45a's: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17224

Memories from a 1980s Toy Shop: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24289

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:24 pm

From a quick google it seems Jason wasn't sure in the beginning if they were legit but in 2014 he posted on Skye's site to say that he believed they were: http://chewseum.com/chivecast/some-pali ... ntemplate/ (scroll down to his replies at the bottom).

Personally I'd like to think they were real, I don't think it's the type of thing Toni would want to start creating even if he had perfected his craft at that point but who knows. Any idea if he sold any and if so what kind of prices he was offering them for? I don't recall ever seeing them for sale on his site.

Just looking at it (especially compared to the Madine/Chewie miscard with the Trilogo bubble)..then yes it does kind of scream Toni..but then we had all this with the Chewbacca with the Tall bubble and there are legit and Toni versions of that too :/
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

darth_daddius
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby darth_daddius » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:40 pm

I'm pretty sure they are legit and this would be the third one I have personally seen, including my own. They are a bit like the Meccano Luke/Han miscard in my books.

There were 18 bids on it taking it up to that price, so at least one other was prepared to pay around that money. Wow I'm glad I got mine a LONG time ago....

Funny combo though. How can you get Chewie and Vader mixed up?!

Cheers
Pat
Looking for Darth Vader items from all around the world.
My collection: (Here on SWFUK:) http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26200
(On RS:) http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1069480/

mr_palitoy
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby mr_palitoy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:21 am

My opinion on the Vader/Madine Chewbacca miscards hasn't changed. These have been in circulation since the early 90s. If Toni was starting out in the forging business, why would he put the wrong figures on the cards? Miscards were not big sellers back then. It would also draw attention to himself. He knew he was in it for the long haul and tried hard to cover his tracks with his rotating ebay buyers account. It just doesnt make sense.

Just becuase fxtoys has it, doesnt mean its dodgy. The afa graded palitoy vcj was owned by Torres in the early 2000s. Pieces will naturally pass through a bunch of collectors hands, both good and bad in reputation over the years.

And the bubble/seal on this ebay auction has good closeups that show the seal doesnt look like one of his and the bubble looks quite weathered.

Jason
Many Bothans died to bring us this information...

Want Palitoy ESB 45A Back (Blue Circle Offer) 2-1B MOC and Palitoy ESB 30B cardbacks for first 12 figures

Mr Palitoy's Cardback Guide
http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy

mr_palitoy
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby mr_palitoy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:26 am

Joe wrote:
Just looking at it (especially compared to the Madine/Chewie miscard with the Trilogo bubble)..then yes it does kind of scream Toni..but then we had all this with the Chewbacca with the Tall bubble and there are legit and Toni versions of that too :/

This a clincher for me. Toni never ever used trilogo bubbles in his reseals so this means the madine/chewbacca combo is good. Which also implies the Vader/Chewbacca combo is good too.

Jason

Want Palitoy ESB 45A Back (Blue Circle Offer) 2-1B MOC and Palitoy ESB 30B cardbacks for first 12 figures

finestcomics
Regular
Regular

Postby finestcomics » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:01 am

Excuse the necrobump, but I thought this to be an interesting development in this debate on whether these miscards are in fact TT's or not.

Vectis recently withdrew a Palitoy "65 punched cardback" Vader "miscard." I assumed it was because they suspected it to be a TT. I posted about it on my FB wall, and one of my friends commented it was legit.

At that time, I had already contacted Vectis - below I'm posting a screenshot of the auction for posterity, as well as two additional screenshots showing the question I posed to Vectis and the reply I received.
Attachments
miscard.jpg
miscard.jpg (71.88 KiB) Viewed 433 times
vectis1.jpg
vectis1.jpg (29.41 KiB) Viewed 433 times
vectis2.jpg
vectis2.jpg (25.99 KiB) Viewed 433 times

mr_palitoy
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby mr_palitoy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:21 am

Vectis are mistaken.

cheers Jason

finestcomics
Regular
Regular

Postby finestcomics » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:46 am

mr_palitoy wrote:Vectis are mistaken.

cheers Jason

With all due respect, the claims these have been around since the 90's, and questioning the payoff for Toni to make miscards doesn't allay concerns well enough.

He had access to Chewie cardbacks, he had access to these blisters, and narrower blisters have been found with a bonding gap at the bottom of the blister. When I see one without, all these questions start to raise flags.

The counter opinion is that he was extremely dialed-in on trends, and cashed in on price surges - declaring these all as legit ignores the possibility he did produce them when the values on these started taking off. He had clearly done that with Fett's. At the time I bought one from him, he had sold dozens just on RS, told me (through an intermediary) he was out of stock, and magically came up with one a month or two later. This would have been several years before the scandal broke, miscards were already well above what a Fett was worth, plenty of time to come up with a few.

mr_palitoy
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby mr_palitoy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:33 pm

The bonding gap is a clear sign of a legit seal, but many factory seals have no bonding gap as well.

This particular Vader also has a bubble placement not typical of a Toni, the bubble is much higher than he would have placed it.

And I just spoke to Kathy at Vectis about the Vader miscard. It was withdrawn because they were uncertain, not because they thought it was a sure fire Toni.

So nothing has changed as a result of Vectis withdrawing the auction lot imo.

cheers Jason

aussiejames
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby aussiejames » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:52 am

example of legit- fully sealed, same bubble

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:05 am

This is one of those examples where it will be hard to convince people either way. As above there are genuine examples out there, but as Toni had both the cards and bubbles used, it is hard to rule them out.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”