Header image

TT being creative or a real mis-card?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Hothrebel
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: TT being creative or a real mis-card?

Postby Hothrebel » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:34 am

It will be going into the November Vectis sale
Always looking for meccano items

finestcomics
Regular
Regular

Postby finestcomics » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:13 pm

aussiejames wrote:Image
example of legit- fully sealed, same bubble

Do you have a pic of the back? Yours looks right for a number of reasons, but to keep it specific to the comparison between the Vectis one and yours, the one thing about the Toni cardbacks is the gradient on the racetrack isn't right. It's just something you pick up from looking at paper/print, the hue is off, I've always felt this to be one of the underlooked tells of these cardbacks. The other is an unexplained reason that Vader seemingly defies gravity. Looking at the Vectis auction, you wonder if that is just an incidental photography hangup (i.e. is it laying down flat when he's being photographed), which causes him not to drop with feet to the bottom?

On this old listing (FXToys one actually that was the basis of this thread) I saved the photos to show the same issue - is Vader is seemingly stuck because the blister isn't wide enough? Seems reminiscent of one of the tells used to flag TT Fetts', where the blister isn't deep enough to allow the figure to stand without a lean - in this case, it's the width of the blister that isn't allowing Vader to drop to the bottom.

Sorry, seeing yours in a miscard doing what it should, and I asked for a pic of the back because the Vecits one doesn't appear to have any blister impression at all on it. That' can be difficult to photograph unless you get the right angle, and get light to bounce off that area to see it's raised. The graded example below is for context (there's a few other pics from that auction I saved), but I can't seem to reconcile this and other observations to lean confidentially enough that the Vectis one is a legit miscard.
Attachments
Vader_miscard.jpg
Vader_miscard.jpg (83.81 KiB) Viewed 311 times

aussiejames
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby aussiejames » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:08 pm

Image Vader card is not on the Toni list

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:28 pm

Hothrebel wrote:It will be going into the November Vectis sale

Great, I’ll be watching this with intrest.

finestcomics
Regular
Regular

Postby finestcomics » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:28 pm

aussiejames wrote:Image Vader card is not on the Toni list

That's a terrific shot, didn't need to zoom in to see the blister impression from the back. Still can't see it in full zoom on Vectis.

And my bad, I had assumed it was posted as a comparitive miscard.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”