Opinions on grading/acrylic

MorganKing

Youngling
I'm just curious to know what people think having an item graded and put into acrylic. Although it can add to the value and prove it's legitimacy and protect it. I can't help but feel it restricts the flavour and ruins the character it has. I'm just interested in what you guys think, cheers.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Absolutely pointless in my opinion - MOCs look great (even beaters) in acrylic so best option is buy from Christian at GW acrylic on here and get the look and protection of the case without the silly sticker.

Click on this link for a whole lot of acrylic goodness :D

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17520

lejackal

Grand Master
MorganKing said:
prove it's legitimacy and protect it
Neither AFA nor UKG offer any form of guarantee over their verification and mistakes have been known to happen, on top of that a carded figure sealed in acrylic is far less protected during shipping than simply in a star case with something to support the bubble.

For display purposes as DB94 said the cases from gw acrylic look the mutts nuts.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Carl

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I don't need someone else to tell me the condition of my collection and I like the choice of being able to handle what I own. Christians acrylic is all you need.

Jez

Sith Lord
I guess it depends on what you want. You say add value, so by that I figure you don't necessarily plan on keeping these MOCs. It's true a high grade can add monetary value to it for some people but for others it doesn't mean anything.
The 2 extra trips in the post are 2 extra chances of the beautiful MOC getting damaged in the post. Is it really worth it? I got 2 of my nicest ones graded a few years back with UKG, both got 85s but it hasn't really enhanced my collection.

kingshearer

Jedi Master
Clarkspie&chips said:
I don't need someone else to tell me the condition of my collection and I like the choice of being able to handle what I own. Christians acrylic is all you need.
Exactly it's essential to be able handle the card every so often.
It's big business now getting stuff graded and selling on or stockpiling and investing for the future.

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
I like all my MOCs in Acrylic and have used GW for these. Whilst I don't go out of my way to secure graded MOCs for my current focus, if one comes along at the right price then I will go for it over non-graded as I do quite like them.

In saying that I don't chase 85's or anything, I have graded MOCs between 40 - 80. Much more affordable when you are trying to get a 12/21 back run completed....

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
If you like the look of acrylic go for gw products.

If you like numbers watch countdown.

If you are worried about authenticating an item take a load of good quality pictures and post them on the forum (don't paste eBay links as you might get scalped). There are a lot of users on this forum that are far more knowledgeable than some of the staff at afa.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Like many experienced collectors I am confident in my ability to tell an authentic piece from a reissue, custom, fake or reseal :!: Therefore that isn't the no 1 reason I choose to get some pieces in my collection graded.
Yes UKG/AFA make mistakes but as a percentage of total work done it is v minor :!:
Pro's;
When it comes to selling/buying online these grading companies can really help in increasing trust in pieces in question.
Grading MISB can preserve a period in time ie even if the tape pops because it is entombed one knows it has never been opened 8)
Being entombed protects the piece v well and it is documented.

Con's;
As said once entombed one cannot touch, smell or explore the piece anymore :!: I think this is particularly highlighted when we r talking about 'Q' grading :!: I think one has really lost out no longer being able to look inside an already opened piece to c the beautiful uncorrupted factory contents :!:
Having a piece with considerable flaws graded just highlights the damage and or decay on the piece via the low grade awarded :!:

I personally decided to preserve the sealed boxed pieces in my collection and get a couple of my iconic and top condition MOCs graded, documented and naturally well protected.
As said there is no right and wrong, just personal choice :D

Nick_IoW

Sith Lord
Hate graded mocs - they're a nightmare to buy or sell - just get too nervous with them in the post. Cant protect the bubbles and figures too often burst through the bubbles.

I'd love to know how many MoCs get ruined from being graded. Be interesting to know how many each year pop through the bubble being returned from AFA/UKG. Also how many burst through the bubbles when sold on.

Then compare those numbers vs how many get u-graded.

Then may be all the anti-u-graders will become anti-graders.

And then we will be starting to get somewhere in the battle to preserve the pieces for future generations :D

Well, In my little idyllic world anyhow.

decipher28

Padawan
My preference is to not have them graded,but would never not buy a piece i wanted just because it were graded.

For me the main valid reason for grading or were it does come into it's own,is when you a buying rare items which have high proportion fakes i.e. vinyl caped jawas,dt items,some pre production material etc.Common production run items don't need to be afa'd and are done so just to try to increase resale price.Most seasoned collectors don't need to be told what condition a particular piece is in and pay for that privilage.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
In my mind its basically a waste of money that eventually causes more damage than protection.. pointless, expensive activity.

x-pack

Grand Master
Grading is a peculiar practice if you ask me. Why does anyone need someone else to tell them how good a card is? :?

The acrylic cases you can buy through the likes of Iain on here look great and you can still take out the card should you wish you wish. That's as far as anyone needs to go I reckon

Kenner76

Padawan
I like the look of my packaged stuff in acrylic. I don't really care if it is graded or ungraded, and won't pay a premium for something just because it's graded. I don't care much for graded loose figures and sometimes like to break them out of ther prisons. The nice think about just putting things in cases is that you can always easily take them out for pictures or hands on enjoyment. :)

BlueDog

Sith Lord
Sick to death of all the AFA bashers, they do a bang up job protecting such fragile items and keeping them away from silly collectors clumsy hands.

Just look how well they display :

AFASTuffups_zpsaetmhczm.jpg

More can be found here: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5371 :evil:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I think the grading and acrylic case situation are two separate entities.

If you want protection for mocs, then acrylic is a good way to do this and does assist with display.
Grading is fine for those who want a grade for their own reason, It is a free country.

For me baggies for example, display fantastically in cases, you don't need to have them graded, just buy the cases From Iain/GW. That way your not letting your collection pieces out of your hands at the mercy of the postal system.
JMO

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom