Header image

General Madine Figure Focus

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
mumbo
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: General Madine Figure Focus

Postby mumbo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:33 am

Nothing wrong with Madine, ok not the most exciting play figure but you don't buy to play now and there looks to be plenty of buying options :)
If its Luke Jedi then I'm interested, vintage or modern.

My feedback - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13324

My Focus collection - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14401

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:03 am

I think its a cool idea, not everything has to be based around an exciting film character and if you like the figure you're 90% there anyway.

Does he appear on any vehicle boxes? Maybe a rebel transport? Twin packs are a perfect thing to go after and he isn't (generally) in the expensive ones either. Check out Frank's baggie guide as well as I expect he is in a few baggie variants.

Of course, he'd make a great Michael Sith illustration piece too! :D :D
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

Clarkspie&chips
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Clarkspie&chips » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:14 am

He's on the bi logo y wing box. He's also on the trilogo y wing box but you'll probably have better luck finding a case of madine trilogo mocs it's so rare.

Interesting note, madine has a beard because kenner requested this from lucasfilm as they were already too far into the development when they visited set. His beard had always freaked me out but I can't tell if it was stuck on.

and I've never heard his stick referred to as a battle staff!
Last edited by Clarkspie&chips on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:17 am

And budget wise this will allow me to easily add something every month without having to spend everything on Madine
"U grade for sale"
Translation: If it was legal my grandmother would be living on dialysis so that I could harvest and sell her kidneys.

olisuds
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby olisuds » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:50 pm

The Lili Ledy one would no doubt be expensive and hard to get hold of and most of the pre production stuff is very hard to come by or tied up already. Still, you shouldn't let that hold you back. If you have a desire to focus on that character go for it and don't worry about what other people are doing.
WTB: Unused Palitoy Card Backs

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:43 pm

I think if you just did a Madine 2 pack focus you'd have plenty to keep you busy for many a year to come, he seems to be in every other 2 pack
If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks for all the input guys, I think this may well go ahead at some point but will probably be one for the future
"U grade for sale"
Translation: If it was legal my grandmother would be living on dialysis so that I could harvest and sell her kidneys.

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:42 pm

From what I've seen over the years most of the figure focus collections that are started by people "just because" tend to end up being sold off just as quickly as they are put together. While it's not essential, I definitely think the key to being able to continually collect items for a focus collection over a period of years (as opposed to mere months) is to actually have some kind of attachment to the figure.

Childhood favourite, sole survivor of your childhood collection or just a figure you could never get back in the day - whatever the reason, it will help immensely if that figure has some meaning, rather than just being one you think is cool (what if your opinion changes?) or because it's not been done before.

Ultimately if a figure focus it's just something fun you've thought of and have no intention of doing it for more than a few months then ignore all of that :D
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

Nick_IoW
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Nick_IoW » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:09 pm

I'm guessing he would have a kenner 79 back also?

Don't know if he's on any of the French or Canadian cards.

benny100
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby benny100 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:52 pm

There's a nice palitoy miscard for sale now!
Anything FX-7 related

walkie
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby walkie » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:31 am

Did anyone mention Lili Ledy?

and there's also unused ledy overstock parts to track down.
Wanted: Lili Ledy, Glasslite, Meccano, Canadian Instruction Sheets, $$$ waiting!!

Visit My Vintage Paperwork Limelight Click Me!
The Glasslite Guide & Discussion Thread Click Me! & The Droids Guide & Discussion Thread Click Me!

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:10 pm

Ok he's not the most sort after caractor but I love looking at any focus and was disappointed when I looked on this thread thinking their was a Madine run to look at. That Lili Ledy Madine is mental, the purple looks really cool. Go for it I say, good look tracking down the clean shaven variation. :wink: :lol:
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

darth_daddius
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby darth_daddius » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:34 am

Joe wrote:From what I've seen over the years most of the figure focus collections that are started by people "just because" tend to end up being sold off just as quickly as they are put together. While it's not essential, I definitely think the key to being able to continually collect items for a focus collection over a period of years (as opposed to mere months) is to actually have some kind of attachment to the figure.

Childhood favourite, sole survivor of your childhood collection or just a figure you could never get back in the day - whatever the reason, it will help immensely if that figure has some meaning, rather than just being one you think is cool (what if your opinion changes?) or because it's not been done before.

Ultimately if a figure focus it's just something fun you've thought of and have no intention of doing it for more than a few months then ignore all of that :D

I really agree with Joe on this.

A focus is not something you can expect to complete soon - and nor should it be. Part of the fun (and disappointment), in my eyes, is the thrill of the hunt and finding stuff. I have been after some items for Y-E-A-R-S before finally finding an example. You sometimes can't be too worried about condition too. There are many things I am still looking for.

One thing about a focus is that you find out quite a bit about figures from other countries. I very nearly started a focus just on getting one figure from different countries before the Vader obsession took hold. And its been an obsession for 15 years and still going. I know I won't get everything I'm looking for, but it doesn't stop me from trying :)

If its just a whim, I'd not worry about it at all. I think there is a lot of scope for Madine (I didn't even think about Lili Ledy above) and it could be very fulfilling if you decided to focus on pre-prod stuff as well. If you're after a cheap focus, though, I'm not sure there is such a thing.

Good luck, no matter which way you go.

Cheers
Pat
Looking for Darth Vader items from all around the world.
My collection: (Here on SWFUK:) http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26200
(On RS:) http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1069480/

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:24 am

Pat (and Joe) are totally right, if you want it to be it really can be a very, very long haul. You can pick up a basic run of anything or anyone in a week if you just want to go shopping and (depending on the character of course) most can be given a really big start without a lot of cash. Its how you want to build it that will define how many years... every back and then every alphabetical sub back could take decades... some guys have these gems in their collections without any knowledge that you want them, to the average collector its a Madine MOC, but the print error or specific back that you dream of is just a MOC to them, so the thing you want to fill a gap may never/rarely appear. Madine won't, obviously, have the scope of a first 12 character that has all the various film cards, but there will still a ton to go after and it will take time.
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

Bobo
New User
New User

Postby Bobo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:41 am

On the plus side a Madine focus also attracts the extra benefit of Dermot Crowley being fairly easily accessible locally! :D

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”