Pewter / Metal Cast Yakface info Needed

Starwoz

Youngling
image.jpg
Hi all. I am new to this forum and am already hooked. I have a metal pewter Yakface that I bought from a carboot sale around 25 years ago for 10p. I was having a clear out last Christmas and had 100s of run of the mill Star Wars items that didn't matter to my collection. In my eBay frenzy I put my pewter Yak on to get a feel for the value/interest. I was offered $2000 for him by an American collector who had apparently acquired number 1 and 2 of these figures I have number #3 and was very tempted t take the cash but I kept him and am very happy that I did. He has a wooden stand and is identical in size and shape to Yak figure. I have heard rumours that he is a bootleg and was part of a limited run, I know that one was submitted to UKGrader who gave it a U grade as there was no comparative figure to grade against. Basically I just wanted to know if anyone had any info on him. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,281

jayums

Jedi Master
Looks like a cool bootleg which used the plastic figure for the mould... whatever it is, I think I would chase after the collector for that 2 grand :lol:

aussiejames

Sith Lord
" I know that one was submitted to UKGrader who gave it a U grade .." :lol: :lol: I call BULLSHIT :wink:

http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=998056

Show us a picture of YOUR Yak, what number is stamped on the back? (#3 is in the archive linked in above link)

Starwoz

Youngling
Just wondering what part of the post Aussie James doesn't believe? I'll go and take some pics of 'my' Yak and also dig out the email from UKG that says that the Ungraded Yak was submitted. Then hopefully I might get a more positive response.

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
Is it the same size as a regular Yak Face? Maybe some decided to use one to make a cast and produced this.

Looks cool as a bootleg regardless.

lejackal

Grand Master
Starwoz said:
Just wondering what part of the post Aussie James doesn't believe? I'll go and take some pics of 'my' Yak and also dig out the email from UKG that says that the Ungraded Yak was submitted. Then hopefully I might get a more positive response.
It's the fact you've lifted images from the tinterweb and not stated they are not actual pictures of the item in your possession, sorry to go all FB group rule on the forum but name and date may help in this case :lol:

Starwoz

Youngling
Hi, the reason I couldn't upload my own pics was that my phone couldn't compress the image size for this forum. Here are some better images.
13045650_1023224127771799_312390253_n.jpg
13020572_1023224147771797_26421824_n.jpg
13023344_1023224141105131_2040472340_n.jpg
13045421_1023224161105129_898824960_n.jpg

Hooch

Jedi Knight
I think the main reason people were concerned is you stated you had #3 which is the one in the archive. Your pic shows you have 1 with #2 on it. Must be more than 1 of these about if the collector in America also has one with #2 on it

Starwoz

Youngling
I got the 'U' grade mixed up with the 'NG' thinking that U meant ungraded. :eek: Also I got the number wrong, I actually have #2 not #3 the collector in USA had 1 & 3. I have screen shot the UK Graders reply
uk graders.png

I think I should probably just go away and get my story straight first then come back. No facepalm emoji available!

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Starwoz- perhaps remove Patsy's email from the private message you just posted up!! And yes I called bullshit on the U-grade :wink: What more info do you want?

Starwoz

Youngling
AuusieJames – If you want to keep being unnecessarily repugnant then that's all good. I'm just not up on the trading vernacular like you. I have made things now perfectly clear but not sure if you personally will be able to follow.

Just to clarify, I am interested in 'toy collecting' and am new to this so it would be great if there were any normal people who enjoy this forum and could help then great.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Hello there Starwoz, I hope you can get some help with this but it is a difficult piece to assess. It's also true that you haven't helped your case with your original post which contained a number of red flags (using someone elses pics, getting a very pertinent fact wrong about the number stamp, and using the wrong terminology 'U Grade').

The story about buying it from a car boot also means you have no provenance (I also think it is fair to say that the UK wasn't exactly a hotbed for bootleg production and so finding any vintage Star Wars bootleg at a UK car boot sale would be extremely unlikely).

This doesn't mean it's not genuine but I think it would be difficult proving that this has age and wasn't made last week. Probably the few people who could help authenticate it would be those few who already own one and could do a very close comparison with yours and the one they have, perhaps a weight comparison, looking at mold lines with a magnifying glass, and maybe the base that yours seem to be standing on. Joseph Yglesias is considered the leading expert on vintage SW bootlegs and if he came out and said yours was genuine then I think that would be enough for anyone. I will forward him a link to this thread and see if he can help you.

Joseph_Y

Padawan
If Patsy offered you 2k for the piece you'd be a moron not to take it. I want one and certainly could afford 2k IF I felt the piece was worth it. In my less than humble opinion if Patsy wasn't involved it would hit between $500 and 1k on the open market.

Cheers
Joe

Joseph_Y

Padawan
Also i can't see the pics on my phone for some reason. Once I'm home from the days errands I'll give the pics a look (and compare them to Rons and Patsys pics to make sure that it's not one of theirs) to see if it's one of these odd Yak custom/bootlegs from the late 80s

Joseph_Y

Padawan
Just logged on , on my tablet. It looks right to me, just odd that someone mounted it on a wooden stand. A nice oddity to be sure. And as said before
If Patsys paying 2k......take the money and run.

J

Starwoz

Youngling
Thanks to those who took the time to respond, I really appreciate your insight.
I am not in a rush to get rid of him as he is part of my childhood collection so money is not a factor. I am just really curious to see where he came from and who made him. I have a really great and totally complete collection of figures that were all acquired through years of pre-internet collecting, non of which are graded but all have great memories of bootsales, classifieds and collectors events.

I will look further into his origins and let you know if I find out more. I understand that it's natural to be sceptical especially if I got some MAJOR FACTS wrong initially so apologies for the misinformation.

Wattosjunkpile

Youngling
I'd like to say this yakface was posted for sale on eBay in Jan 2015. It contacted him about my interest, I can't say for sure on the 2000 but if things come up for sale around the Superbowl or world series than I would put a premium on price I'd pay. That being said he my be confusing me with someone else as to owning 2 yaks. I only have 1, its number 5 and I paid way less than 2k. It's unlikely I'd offer almost double of what I paid but **** I'm crazy and you never know. But I can attest that he owns it and his story is the same it was back then. Minus how many I own, which number, price?, number he owns etc. I just think he is excited to share a rare piece in my opinion! Good luck on the sales! PS if I did offer you 2k you where crazy not to take it! Lmfao

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom