Vinyl Cape Jawa...or is it?

Bollux

Grand Master
Just before the old forum died I was asked to post some pics of my "possible" VC Jawa.

So here it is!

The cape has the scratchy "zippy" sound but the colour is a bit off to me, unless its the Australian variation, which would be nice.

It only cost me Ã'£12 so I dont mind either way, but would love a bargain!

IMGP0291.jpg

IMGP0290.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
it certainly doesn't look like a chopped down ben coat. i haven't seen enough repro's to know how close they are these days, but i certainly wouldn't bet against yours being genuine.

perhaps consider sending it to AFA? it's only about $20 down the drain if they won't grade it, and at least you'll know.

Bollux

Grand Master
I bought it a fair few years ago back when repro capes were not so prevalent.

I would love it to be real.

Bargain of the century then surely? :lol:

It looks very similar to the one on the right which is the Toltoys one

vintagejawacomp1.jpg

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
how about we all chip in to get it graded and share the profit. ;)

on a serious note, how much more is a genuine australian one worth? i don't remember ever seeing one for sale.
and there's that infamous ESB carded one that like yours nobody is willing to verify.

Bollux

Grand Master
Afraid I dont know anyone with one of those!

My phone will go in pretty close though!

Will have a go over the weekend, its pain the get the cases down off the wall!

It does have a texture to it though, a "criss-cross" pattern, that you can feel and hear when rubbing your nail over the top of it!

Bollux

Grand Master
So I post some pics of the texture of the cape tomorrow will you guys be able to give me some kind of guess as to its authenticity?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
difficult to say, it might have all the characteristics of a real one, but the only way you'll know for sure is sending it in to AFA.
just bite the bullet if you are so desperate to know, it doesn't cost THAT much ;)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
very true! :lol:

whatever happened to their european office idea?

craignwo4life

Sith Lord
It's fake.

The chances of you having come across a Toltoys one by accident are millions to one as they were only ever released in Australia and very few collectors have one, probably not even Sith Smith. :lol:

The last one I saw for sale on ebay was about a year ago which sold for around Ã'£180. I was tempted to buy it as I thought that was really cheap but I don't know enough about the variant to be certain it was 100% authentic. :cry:

Bollux

Grand Master
Hey Craig!

Slow down! Dont upset me! :cry:

Will try and post some pics over the weekend of the texture of the two sides of the cape!

Bollux

Grand Master
The markings on the leg are:

G.M.F. G.I. 1977 and then Hong Kong as the COO

Any idea what the GMF GI stands for?

Bollux

Grand Master
here are some more pics of the little fella, even if he is a fake at least he has had his 15 minutes of fame! :lol:

Tight fitting on both arms
DSC00247.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

And finally you should be able to see some of the texture of the inside of the cape:
IMGP0298.jpg

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
I would say that is real. I cant be 100% without actually personally looking at it. The colour looks more like the austrailian (i think it that was the country) version to me but it does look authentic. If it was a ben cape the arm holes would look odd and loose.

Bollux

Grand Master
I will probably be going to the memorabilia fair this november if any would be willing to take a look at it in person for me?

craignwo4life

Sith Lord
Bollux said:
Any idea what the GMF GI stands for?
Its the General Mills Factory.

Here is a link to a previous Toltoys ebay auction, although this isn't the one I was talking about. Is this 100% genuine? I have no idea because I have never seen a close up photos of one. As far as I am aware the only person who can authenticate them is a guy in Australia called Ben Sheenan (or something similiar).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50271&item=6032683213

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom