Would you swap your collection for a screen used prop?

stormcab

Sith Lord
Had been pondering this question, then saw someone in the props thread say they would swap their entire vintage collection for the screen used costume find.

Basically, is it only the vintage toys you really enjoy owning, or would it be an ultra rare screen used prop?

So, if the opportunity came up, that it would cost your entire vintage collection to swap for a screen used prop of equal or slightly more value that is authenticated, would you?

Yes it's a bit of a "well that's the same as a genie in a lamp, ain't gonna happen", but let's keep it simple, yes or no and why. Obviously some people have a collection worth just a few hundred pounds, and some will be well into the tens of thousands, so what prop would it be that equals yours? You can also not mention the prop if you think it will broadcast to the world what your collection is worth.

Anyway, my answer is yes I would, but it would have to be a prop that appears clearly on screen for several seconds or more. Off the top of my head, these items could include - a helmet/hat from either side (rebels/empire), a chunk of panel from inside a ship, a weapon, a decent section of miniature - basically something that can be displayed nicely in a clear case or frame.

sith-smith

Grand Master
No, my initial love of the films came via the toys, so an official screen used prop wouldn't have the same appeal

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I like props but for me props and toys have nothing to do with each other. I wouldn't swap my collection for a screen used prop no, it's taken far too long to acquire to give it away for 1 prop. Besides the only prop that I'd want like a blaster, saber or helmet or something would be worth way more than my collection.

indianawars

Sith Lord
Robstyley said:
indianawars said:
If someone offered me a Luke's severed hand clutching the lightsaber... then I properly would.

While you're there could you ask them how the **** it ended up in Maz whats her faces' chest!? :?: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Quote: "It's a good question for another time." - Seriously?! WTF... :evil:

Lom

Jedi Master
Supporter
Hugely dependant upon the size and worth of your collection (both financially and sentimentally) - I've got around 20 AT-AT Driver Mocs and a couple of proofs plus a few figures that I've picked up in the last couple of years. Given the option of swapping those for a screen used AT-AT Driver helmet then I'd absolutely do it because the toys are plenty and I can get them again. My childhood collection however... That's more complicated - I'm a sentimental kind of fella and I'm really not sure that I could part with them - I guess everyone has their price...

No surprise that Gary wouldn't swap!!! I'd want to receive an actual screen used principal cast member to part with that collection!!!

Hothrebel

Jedi Master
It would have to be something pretty special,not a bit of old carpet or ewok fur ,maybe a main character item ,I suppose it depends on how much your vintage collection is worth.

Joe

Grand Master
Personally I wouldn't. I really enjoy the films of course and the wow factor of having a screen used prop from one of the originals would be quite something (I'd wager more people outside of the hobby would be more interested in a prop than a toy collection!) but I love my stuff and it's taken many years to get to a point where I'm happy to just sit back and enjoy it. Trading away years of hard work in the toy world for a single prop doesn't appeal much to me as a toy collector :D

sith-smith

Grand Master
Lom said:
No surprise that Gary wouldn't swap!!! I'd want to receive an actual screen used principal cast member to part with that collection!!!

Ha!

Yeah, I'd want Sir Alec Guinness or Peter Cushing!! :D

lejackal

Grand Master
poncho said:
Toys for me. So no

having said that a leias gold bikini i may be tempted.
If it's just for the weekend Chris I think there was one for sale on Yavin :wink: :lol:

lejackal

Grand Master
Toys for me because the only things I'd actually want are (a) essentially toys anyway, model Ties, X-Wings etc and (b) I'd miss my house :)

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
For me (the one that said I would in the other post) it's about Star Wars.

My first love was the films. Still is, I guess. I see the toy line as an extension of the films and yes, although they hold incredible memories I think my main passion is the OT. However, I'm unfortunate enough to speak from a perspective where I no longer have my original toys. Would I swap my original toys for a screen used prop? Probably not. Obviously, offer me a screen used Vader outfit or model of the Falcon and I'm going to go weak at the knees and chuck in my soul and first born, but for a pair of tatty boots and incomplete waist coat then no, I wouldn't. I would, however, trade my newly acquired vintage for a prop in a heartbeat if it was a piece I liked. I can reacquire these MOCs anytime and I have the pleasure of the hunt all over again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom