Figures that were a pain in the arse to get hold of?....

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
At the time.

Back in the early 90s when i was on the hunt to completing my loose run, every sunday morning going to local collector and car boot fairs with my dad and this is way before i knew anything about the last 17, with only a 77 card back for a checklist :lol:

There were a few figures at the time that just seemed to be a complete ball ache to find!

for me they were....
star destroyer commander
snaggletooth
white bespin guard
ugnaught
ccp
jawa
leia combat poncho

who did you have trouble finding?

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Back in the day it was the Power Droid for me, that bugger was a bitch to find until one frosty Sunday morning at a boot sale on a Co Op car park I found one in a small tupperware box full of figures. 50p - get in!

One figure I used to find loads of though was Barada for some reason, to the point where I never even bothered buying them anymore - even at 50p a shot, had about 5 of them at one point. I also remember leaving behind a mint EV 9D9 because I'd already got it :shock:

Frunkstar

Grand Master
From shops before the car boot bargain days it was the power droid for me back in leicester, for some reason you just could not get one & I never did get a carded one to open.

I also spent a lot of time in hamburg as a kid, for some odd reason you could not get stormtroopers :? every kid I knew there had to use hoth troppers as you simply could not find regular stories

sith-smith

Grand Master
as a kid I remember Chewie Jawa and yoda being difficult to find.

Never had B wing Pilot or Han Endor as a kid...not sure if they were tricky, but were the first two figures I ever bought at a Car boot sale in 92!

I had no idea of the last 17 as a kid...had 4 of them, but managed to find virtually all of them at boot sales for 50p. Only one I can remember never seeing was an Imperial gunner.

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
pizzathehutt said:
At the time.

Back in the early 90s when i was on the hunt to completing my loose run, every sunday morning going to local collector and car boot fairs with my dad and this is way before i knew anything about the last 17, with only a 77 card back for a checklist :lol:

There were a few figures at the time that just seemed to be a complete ball ache to find!

for me they were....
star destroyer commander
snaggletooth
white bespin guard
ugnaught
ccp
jawa
leia combat poncho

who did you have trouble finding?

CCP was my local stores pegwarmer....they had 100's of them.....ended up selling for 50p each I think.

Ones I had trouble finding were R2-D2 (any version sold out straight away) and any Leia version

MarkG

Jedi Master
Luke Hoth and Hammerhead were the two I remember struggling to find back in the day. Can't fully remember when I got Luke but Hammy was found in a discount bin in a Debenhams.

Last 17 were easy as I had the pick of a brand new case in my local Gamleys store.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
In 1978/9, the Jawa was difficult, but I couldn't get a pin head Han anywhere. Old hot air balloon head was all the shops near me seemed to stock. In the end, a friend of my brother came to the rescue and a swap was done involving a Stormtrooper and I finally had my pin head :-D

Many, many years later (and indeed many years of searching later) the Takara Vader and Stormtrooper were royal pains in the arse to track down.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
At the time, I remember most of that second wave of figures being hard to get a couple of years down the line.

I got most of them early on, but the phrase 'Hammerhead and Snaggletooth' is engrained on my mind from asking everyone to look out for them. I remember my pal needing Walrus Man and Power Droid. Eventually they all came out in abundance circa 1984, at least round here.

A pal of mine now never saw an A-Wing Pilot or an EV-9D9 in an eighties toy shop . By that time I'd cottoned on to a local Cash And Carry were I got just about all my last 17. I never knew they were tare until the internet age.

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
I started collecting in '82 and it took my ages to find R2. I finally found one in BHS when the ROTJ figures were just released and was trying to decide between R2 and Emperors Royal Guard.

Finally got both in the end though :D

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I rarely saw Ewoks (Logray and Chirpa aside) at boot fairs in the 90's when I was getting into collecting, not sure if it was the lack of popularity with kids, so less being sold or the proliferation of them still available on cards which, when interested in loose figures meant I passed them by.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
My brother and I had the first 32 figures between us, so I don't remember them being particularly difficult. I remember when the first wave of Jedi figures were released it was a pain to get Boussh and Lando Skiff - it was just Bib, Madine, Ackbar and ERG everywhere.

Actually, now I think about it the Gammy Guard was the most difficult of the wave 1 Jedi figures - I think I only ever saw him once.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
During childhood I rem it being a big deal finding Yoda, Han original, Luke Bes and Fett :!:

When I got back into collecting in the mid 90s I never actually went on a crusade collecting a full loose set. I just started out picking up the few loosies I never had as a kid(not including last 17 as like Gary I never knew them) and quickly moved onto MOC.

I do rem Dad finding me an Amanaman and Luke Stormie on the street :shock: no staff, helmet or solid black blaster of course. However I was in luck as I visited my old friend's mum a while after and she had all his old collection which she wanted to keep one of everything BUT to my amazement there were TWO Amanaman staffs and no Amanaman so she gave me one of the staffs :D
As for the Luke Stormie I traded him in along with £130 for a mint Tri-logo Luke Stormie in around 2000.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Biker Scout and Luke X-Wing, was desperate for both but never found them in shops. Got both second hand from a friend in the late 80s eventually.

elcroz

Padawan
As a child collecting, original Han evaded me for what was probably a couple of years.

Russ J

Jedi Master
First post from me for quiet a while know (kinda got back into SW for a very short while after finding this forum,then as quick as I got back into it I fell out of it :oops: )

Anyway enough jibber jabba (excuse the pun)

The figures that evaded me bitd were..

1..Jawa (eventually got my cloth figure)
2..Walrus Man (my SW shop I got my figures from always seemed to be out of stock)
3..Greedo (again same as the Walrus Man)

My SW shop was Kennedys Toy shop in Leeds near the Corn Exchange for anyone who knew Leeds back then...

Russ.. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom