Woolworths Memories...

Leemcl

Jedi Master
Maybe an odd one, but do many people have vintage items with Woolworth's stickers on them?

I've seen loads of kaybee and Toys R Us stuff, some Tesco etc, but not much from Woolies ( aside from the 2005 Vader which is common ) and that's odd to me as Woolworth's was so big for toys once.

I have zero memory of buying figures from Woolies but I must have done...I can remember buying from Tesco, Rossi's - even "House of Holland" - Chingford store for a Chief Chirpa ! but nothing in my brain for Woolworth's....why did they not stock Star Wars for some reason ?

Any photos, even in store display photos, of items would be great to see as a reminder....

Bootyhunter

Jedi Master
I remember seeing and buying vintage in Woolies, they never carried a very big range but it was always worth checking once a week for figures. I think most of my mini rigs were bought in Woolie's sales for about £1.49 each :lol:

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
My strongest memory of SW in Woolworths were the huge clearance deals - and not buying a single bloody one. Was more interested in boobs by then :lol:

scooternick

Jedi Knight
I have BHS transformer and he-man memories so they must have stocked star wars too. That was when BHS was good and held it's own!

scooternick

Jedi Knight
I do have tauntaun Woolies memories. Pretty sure they had **** loads of mini rigs knocking around from memory

Russ J

Jedi Master
A bit of an off topic regarding vintage SW....but I did have one of the Vectrex video game consoles (sold it a while ago know) and that had a Woolies price tag still on the box

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Funny u say u don't rem buying any figures from Woolies because I don't either :!: Yet my local Woolies was right nx to Tesco in Edmonton Green shopping centre and I have vivid memories of going upstairs in Tesco to where all the toys were and picking up SW regularly :D coincidently I also rem picking up some figures from House of Holland too. I only remember buying Lego from Woolies :?: :!:

lejackal

Grand Master
This was mine, not from childhood though unfortunately
Woolworths%20Trilogo_zpsaxsrcjbt.png

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Never bought SW from Woolies. I remember buying a couple of Transformers and my A-TEAM 4-pack though. I don't think they used to have much SW in stock, so I didn't really bother. I do remember seeing those bags full of figures later on though.

Leemcl

Jedi Master
palitoyjunky said:
Funny u say u don't rem buying any figures from Woolies because I don't either :!: Yet my local Woolies was right nx to Tesco in Edmonton Green shopping centre and I have vivid memories of going upstairs in Tesco to where all the toys were and picking up SW regularly :D coincidently I also rem picking up some figures from House of Holland too. I only remember buying Lego from Woolies :?: :!:
House of Holland.....it was there, we used to go Saturday and then it was gone one day and the part of my brain that is stuck at 7 years old still wonders why it's gone ! Lol. they had so many Jedi figures back in the day I can even remember the stand with the figures on towards the back of store, oh for time travel....I'd go get a Luke Jedi Knight or 10 today !

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
All 3 of our local Woolworths had sod all SW BITD as I recall, maybe some games and oddball stuff but nothing in the way of figures or ships but come the mid/late 80's and they had the famous sales I remember the store in Newcastle-under-Lyme being stocked to the gunnels with Rancors, Ewok Villages and Scout Walkers. I still don't recall seeing any figures though.

The places I recall buying figures from were John Menzies, Tesco, Co Op Normid in Talke (a bloody gold mine for SW toys) and the Co Op department store in Newcastle called Castle House, this is where I got my Force Beam and 3 way laser rifle from :)

Dantooine

Padawan
I remember getting Hammerhead in Woolies. For some reason it's a really clear memory. I was holding the card really looking at the picture, my mum saw a friend and started chatting, and her friends son was looking at my Hammerhead and he was asking his mum to get it for him. I thought he wanted to take mine, so I was having none of it and hid behind my mums legs. Also, Fernando by Abba was playing in the background. I would have been about 5 or 6. This was in Gt Yarmouth. Woolies is now a pound shop, though when I go back to my home town I pop in and that memory comes right back.

On a side note, when Woolies was closing down a few years ago they had loads of those large wing Tie Fighters for £10. Wish I'd have got one of them - my girlfriend at the time persuaded me not to...

DarthStanley

Sith Lord
Supporter
Russ J said:
A bit of an off topic regarding vintage SW....but I did have one of the Vectrex video game consoles (sold it a while ago know) and that had a Woolies price tag still on the box

I had one of those from Woolies too Russ,think it cost £40 back in 83/84.I remember the Vectrex console was near some ROTJ Scout Walkers! 8)

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
My local woollies was two doors away from the local toy shop where I bought many sw 79-84, I used to go in woollies with my mum and sister to look at records and buy pick and mix and be completely bored, so there was defiantly no sw in there at that time as I was always looking at there small amount of toys at the back. Think it must have depended on the size of the shop as this was a double shop size not to big but went back a bit.

MarkG

Jedi Master
I don't recall my local Woolworths having any vintage at all...well, apart from the end of line 99p multipacks (which I never bought grrrr) 'could' have been due to having a Gamleys store nearby that had stacks of the stuff.

grinchy

Sith Lord
I remember my local woollworths in the strand shopping centre never used to have that much in the way of star wars, mini rigs and a few figures but nothing major, a big memory from way back is the ton of star wars they had on clearance, I bought a rancor for 49p, should and could have bought more, especially the multibagged figures, doh!

I remember the big clear out sale loads of bags full of figs. didn't seem to
last long but I could be wrong on the time scale not even sure what year!
but I use to open the bags and put all the ones I wanted into the bag lol
I also have some items In my collection with the special white stickers on.
I seem to remember a big tub of trilogo carded as well with some of the
last 17 in so they came home with me. it must have been a foot deep and
4 foot wide with them all slung in great hunting :D

In Australia my local woolworths stocked a modest collection of Star Wars figures to chose from , on a plus side the they usually had more variety to chose from and you could find the harder to get figures . Woolworths had about 25 different fugures to chose from meanwhile Kmart had 2 choices klaatu or general madine.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
My Woolies (Holyhead, Anglesey) had no SW as I recall. Not even during clearance. Bought all my figures from the excellent Harbour News a dozen doors down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom