Header image

Palitoy landfill

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Palitoy landfill

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:53 pm

Good thing Spoons is a collector isn't it :lol:
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:07 pm

This is why we all still dream. :lol:
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

currymonster6290
Regular
Regular

Postby currymonster6290 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:21 pm

joey wrote:hi

they was 2 landfill,s mainone was in lount and the other one was in outskirts of repton/hartshourne all the loose ships and figs were dumped here must of been 1000,s of course they were all the rejects from the factory

I only live a few miles away and I no roughly the area they were dumped,i can remember this as kid, and I have visted the site a few times in my younger years

it has been years since,so things may of changed,not much I think as it is farmland now

joey

can you remember any more from this I sometimes get out that way on my tractor and was only at bretby the
other week! so I also know a few farmers who tend not to move to far so might have info.

currymonster6290
Regular
Regular

Postby currymonster6290 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:24 pm

mr_palitoy wrote:Capture.JPG

Anyone got a shovel?

:lol:

Jason

ive been with a shovel and the postcode printed is wrong! :lol:

poncho
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby poncho » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:47 am

count me in lets finance this project boys.

lets hope it doesnt cost us millions like the burmease spitfire dig :?

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:18 am

Sorry but I'm not buying most of this. I'm aware of the 2 landfills, possibly a 3rd. But I'm also aware of local children who would come across toys, pull their heads off and use them as catapult ammunition. How could this be possible if they're buried 40ft down? I think at best there'll be a lot of damaged plastic, paint condition?, and soggy cardboard
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

robpmarsh
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby robpmarsh » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:01 am

I'd be in.....just to own a peice of 'something vintage' from the endeavor would be enough. Could be a pipedream....but u never know
Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold!

my Swfuk feedback: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21776

My Leia Hoth focus:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30198

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:07 am

I love the thought of doing this but, sadly, it's not going to happen. It's an awesome pipe dream over a pint or few.

It's a licenced waste site and even IF the owners (SITA) allowed us (which they wouldn't due to the hazards of digging 40ft down into unstable ground made up of waste and the possible environmental damage from the exposure to the atmosphere of 40 year old plastics, chemicals and god knows what else) then the local authority would block it. And as for plastic not degrading; green limbed Chewie, anyone?

Let's discuss it over a pint next Thursday at CE3 at which point I won't be nearly so sensible and be well up for it.

currymonster6290
Regular
Regular

Postby currymonster6290 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:51 am

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:I love the thought of doing this but, sadly, it's not going to happen. It's an awesome pipe dream over a pint or few.

It's a licenced waste site and even IF the owners (SITA) allowed us (which they wouldn't due to the hazards of digging 40ft down into unstable ground made up of waste and the possible environmental damage from the exposure to the atmosphere of 40 year old plastics, chemicals and god knows what else) then the local authority would block it. And as for plastic not degrading; green limbed Chewie, anyone?

Let's discuss it over a pint next Thursday at CE3 at which point I won't be nearly so sensible and be well up for it.

the postcode is wrong the site is on private land and you can still see the mounds! the chap that owns it
used to get people rabbiting and they would dig up action man stuff :wink:

x-pack
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby x-pack » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:30 am

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:I love the thought of doing this but, sadly, it's not going to happen. It's an awesome pipe dream over a pint or few.

Over a pint!? We'll be off to Ashby shovels and picks in hand! ;-)

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:59 am

I dig holes for a living, and we wouldn't dig 41 ft down (I doubt that figure is true - I assume they uised an old quarry but might have dug a bespoke pit)- we'd dig a relatively shallow test trench, check preservation, make up of the soil and take it from there. If its not on SITA land it would be easy to do with the land owners permission on the basis of a promise of SW millions.

In reality we probably would only find soggy cardboard and degraded figures but it would only be a day's work and the cost of a JCB to confirm that. If preservation was good (it is likely to be fairly anaerobic in places), then we can discuss excavating the whole pit :mrgreen:

Currymonster if you could let me have the landowner's details I am happy to make this work.
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

Andyclarke
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Andyclarke » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:05 pm

spoons wrote:

I dig holes for a living, and we wouldn't dig 41 ft down (I doubt that figure is true - I assume they uised an old quarry but might have dug a bespoke pit)- we'd dig a relatively shallow test trench, check preservation, make up of the soil and take it from there. If its not on SITA land it would be easy to do with the land owners permission on the basis of a promise of SW millions.

In reality we probably would only find soggy cardboard and degraded figures but it would only be a day's work and the cost of a JCB to confirm that. If preservation was good (it is likely to be fairly anaerobic in places), then we can discuss excavating the whole pit :mrgreen:

Currymonster if you could let me have the landowner's details I am happy to make this work.

You'd certainly have my financial backing. Maybe it's your destiny to discover these. :D
If they were packed in boxes and were still carded, there's a chance some of the figures might be OK. I would expect the odd drier pocket.
Last edited by Andyclarke on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:15 pm

Make it happen...

Andyclarke
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Andyclarke » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Bonsai_Tree_Ent wrote:Make it happen...

Brilliant!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:17 pm

currymonster6290 wrote:

the postcode is wrong the site is on private land and you can still see the mounds! the chap that owns it
used to get people rabbiting and they would dig up action man stuff :wink:

Oh well, in which case; have shovel will travel :D

I reckon we get permission to camp as well. Could be like the gold rush days of the old West; sitting round a fire, drinking beer, eating beans and farting whilst dreaming of buried treasure.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”