Leicester Vintage & Old Toy Shop

maxf

Jedi Master
I made the trip up to sunny Leicester on Saturday, to collect something from Leicester Vintage & Old Toy Shop.

I've been to a few 'vintage' shops over the years, and have generally left a little flat - travelling a decent distance to find a few overpriced vintage items in between lots of modern stuff is never great, but I'm happy to say the trip on Saturday definitely wasn't like this!

After a 2.5 hour drive I was greeted with a cup of tea and a couple of hours (!) of friendly chat and banter. The shop was crammed full of display cases of all things vintage - from Matchbox and Dinky, to He-Man and Ghostbusters, and everything in between. Of course, being located in the Palitoy heartland, there was no shortage of Star Wars, Action Force and Action Man - including some nice MOC pieces.

I went in for some SW, which I bought, but genuinely could have come home with about 5 newly started collections - as well as my main acquisition, I also came home with a loose Lumat, a 70's Matchbox Mini and a 60s? Dinky Bedford Van. The latter 2 will probably end up on my desk at work.

I have no affiliation with the shop, other than being a very happy customer. It's really easy these days to become spoilt and even a bit jaded by the amazing photos of super rare items we can see online every day, but these really don't compare with seeing a massive selection of vintage toy lines in the flesh. The shop is definitely worth a visit, even if it's a bit of a drive.

Some photos (loads more in the shop):

28589821431_2ecf226222_z.jpg

28635961916_0da86e30db_z.jpg

28561547282_9c8774a010_z.jpg

28561551642_e9710e3f86_z.jpg

28635964356_9242a52a23_z.jpg

28383789530_5b9527a363_z.jpg

My buys (I didnt buy the Palitoys underneath ;) )

28635963646_570af3ee8b_z.jpg

plus
28587997482_99b961078b_n.jpg

and
28616187151_ec98035773_n.jpg

lejackal

Grand Master
Great write up Max, glad you made the trip. I've not been in for a while but the welcome is the same every time, hot drink, good chat and an easy transaction.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
I follow them on Instagram and been meaning to go for a while.
However, Celebration and LFCC last month means my trip will have to wait a bit longer...

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Wow looks like a cool shop, love the Ghostbusters stuff.

Yeah I was wondering about the Vader to.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
I was in there last week myself Max having a chat with Joe, I wondered who bought the Dark Vader, great piece!!, longer trip for me :lol: luckily I have friends & family in Leicester, so I pop in when I am down that way, shop is always rammed, but the star wars side of things can be up & down a lot

maxf

Jedi Master
Joe said:
Wow awesome shop! Nice size too, looks well worth a visit!

Definitely! As Frank said, I think the vintage SW is probably up and down a bit, as I understand Joe mainly gets his stock through people selling directly to the shop, rather than buying online to stock up with - so I suspect it depends what walks in through the door. But for general vintage toy goodness, I havent been anywhere better.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Joe is a great guy and really friendly. It's a super shop and just goes to show that some folk can make a living in a bricks and mortar shop in the UK. I've visited the shop once before but have seen Joe at plenty of fairs and have always thought what a stand up guy he is. If you haven't been to Leicester vintage and you don't live too far away, I'd say pop down there for sure.

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Amazing! The ghostbusters certainly got my interest! How much was the vader and other mocs if you dont mind me asking??

maxf

Jedi Master
You'll need to call him up or email for prices on the Palitoys - I think they started at about £250 and went up to £750 or so - but don't quote me on that. The Vader was more.

punk_pat

Jedi Knight
Met the proprietor at a fair earlier this year. Nice bloke & easy to deal with. Photos look great, would love a look around there!

Not been to a bricks & mortar since Comicville closed down in Leeds.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Super mate 8) Gutted I couldn't make it :!:

Just so nice to walk into a shop of pure vintage and take a step back in time 8) The only shop that did that for me was the original "Modellers Loft" shop in Croydon that I use to visit in the late 90s.

Awesome :D

Gorneesh

Jedi Knight
I've watched and followed this shop on social media for ages now, still not got round to actually visiting it yet.
They always seem to get in nice looking stuff.

laurencedyer

Jedi Knight
As you said Max, Joe has a cracking shop.
I nearly turned into there Saturday on the way back from the office as I hadn't been in for a while but carried on instead as I was feeling iffy, wish I hadn't now.
It helps him being in a Palitoy hotspot with people occasionally wondering in with childhood collections and puts a lot of effort in countrywide to secure stuff.
If your this way again Max then give me a shout.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom