C&T Auctions - Palitoy 20 backs - 05/10/2016

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Was anyone else watching this sale today? I took the day off as I wanted to have a look as some bits as well as the SW stuff first hand.

They had 7 Palitoy 20 backs in astounding condition. All ex-shop stock. Will stick some catalogue images up later but they were incredible. Only Walrusman (I think it was) had a small crease to the card and the PD had a slightly bent corner bottom left. All bubbles were perfect except HH who had an entertainingly wonkily applied bubble!

They had R5-D4, Hammerhead, Power Droid, Greedo, Snaggletooth, Walrus Man and a lovely Death Star Droid.

One single buyer (had to be a dealer (lets face it) bought the whole lot. Think the cheapest was about £550 and the most was the Power Droid at £1,400. All this plus 21% commission of course. Having done some homework for once (!) the prices were on the whole Vectis -10 to -20% so for a collector would have been fair value.

Such a shame a dealer scooped the lot safe in the knowledge he can make money on them. Beginning to see the perspective that it's not actually the dealers causing the problems, or the flippers, even: it's the buyers. As soon as collectors stop feeding the market craziness the easy grazing will disappear. I have no problem with dealers, those that work for their money, but I don't consider going to an auction and raising your hand 40 times work. It's all a bit depressing really. Probably explains why more and more I'm finding solace in places like eBay which is far more of a level playing field, which is crazy.

naughtyjedi

Sith Lord
yes.. was going to talk about it on next podcast. why not come on and talk about it.. anyone else?

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Got some good news about these. Will post more later but they've gone into a private collection of a forum member. Best possible news. Pete, I have someone else for you to talk to about these :)

*Edit* and that'll teach me to make assumptions :lol:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Richard_H said:
Cool, slightly less than the last one I saw then. Cheers.

Yeah. They were all anywhere between 10 and 20% lower than the last ones that went through Vectis (after adding commission). They were such a lovely set and it's cool they've remained together. Really strange than LXW, perhaps now the most common 20 back (following Vectis selling that case of them) was the only one absent.

Sparky P

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Thanks for posting this report, Simon. I was wondering what happened to these having seen the auction catalogue on e bay but then not being able to find the site again yesterday!

Looking forward to seeing the pics. :D

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Yeh I saw these in the flesh at Sandown Park last month and they were in real nice condition. Yes it was so ironic the most common 20 back-LXW was missing :!:
Great to know a dealer didn't get them! Someone got a bargain on the PD 8) I know of a relatively recent private sale of a PD that sold for 2.9K :!: Granted the buyer was pretty desperate for one.

Christian

Jedi Master
Hello Everyone,

Thought I'd fill in a couple of blanks as I was watching this auction (more in hope than anticipation!) - the results (hammer price NOT inc. Commission):

• R5-D4 £750
    Greedo £750 (anyone else notice the dirty great crack in the top left hand corner of the bubble :eek: )
    Snag £600
    DSD £900 (Lovely condition)
    Hammerhead £750 (Misaligned bubble)
    Power Droid £1400 (A beauty)
    Walrusman £750 (Heavy dented bubble - bottom RHC)

And as an aside the 12" Leia (Complete) with Mecanno box (no inserts or paperwork) £220!

Again another reminder that all that glitters is Star Wars... :wink:

All the best chaps!

Christian

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom