Getting your mojo back

maxf

Jedi Master
I'm struggling a bit. I think a combination of poor exchange rates, deals seeming harder to do, more competition, high prices and some very speculative pricing is really turning me off SW collecting.

I feel like the whole collecting scene is feeling far more competitive and aggressive than it ever has done before.

Is this just a fact of life? Mo money mo problems, kind of thing. Are other toylines similar?

I suspect the answer will be to just forget about it for a while, but any suggestions for getting the mojo back? I've hit a wall with a run I'm trying to piece together which isnt helping.

Christian

Jedi Master
I hear ya Max!

Here's a pretty straightforward recommendation but I would try choosing a new, relatively inexpensive but fairly "off-the-wall" focus to build. I was in a similar position a few years back and after having picked up a collection of loose figures containing a Leia Hoth that had a paint ops error (you may recall kindly helping me out with a Luke Hoth with an unpainted bum!) and bang the hunt was on again! It was a pleasant distraction from not being able to add 'higher' end pieces specifically because of the reasons you've mentioned above even back then!

Best of luck - there's a myriad of different avenues to explore in the hobby :)

Cheers,
Christian

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
The thrill of the hunt is still out there, and it's still possible to pick up good deals. 2016 has turned out to be one of my most productive years ever having picked up two "holy grail" MOCs, and lots of baggies and loose figures. It's harder and more expensive now for sure but it's absolutely still possible to enjoy collecting.

plantainman

Jedi Master
I took some time away from SW over this summer just gone to concentrate on other projects. In autumn I spotted something i needed and bang, "Just when i thought I was out, they pulled me back in" lol

I can recommend taking a break as its a good refresh time, and you do come back and find it easier to ignore some of the factors you state, like high prices and stiff competition.

your mojo for it will most likely return. If not, no drama, You still have the forum to watch other peoples collecting unfold and enjoy the craic.

Best

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
I always find going to fairs and shows, chatting with other collectors and seeing stalls full of vintage is a great tonic for when things get a bit flat. Usually I end up walking away with something I had no idea I needed, which kick starts the hunt again

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
I've heard lots of people who take a break, but always come back to collecting.
If you get tied up with inflated prices and the more competitive and cut throat side of the hobby you will always feel this way, personally I collect as and when funds are available and on a budget, but patience is the key.
This forum and the guys on it are a massive plus to collectors, as you can see other collections
Get ideas, research areas that usually throw up an interest and " floats your boat" hey presto your off on another avenue, baggies for example, which is something I love, using Franks superb reference guide, there is a brilliant area to research and collect. Again Tri logos, with Joes fantastic references and advice, tgere are the COO variant references that Lars is doing, again super stuff, Wolffs reference guides are superb...I think what I'm saying is research, and looking into all of the different areas of vintage is fulfilling and interesting, and will rekindle faltering interest, along with the comradery on this forum.
I also get a great deal out of the pictures I do as again that's related to SW in a different way.

Keep your chin up bud, don't let the high prices and more depressing side of the job get you down, look at the bright side :D

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I get what your saying Max, but at the same time I often read posts from people who say they have had a break for two months or however long and I always think hang on a minute I've not brought anything for 2 months but I've not stoped looking in that time, which can be frustrating but also rewarding when you do finally get what your after.

Don't get me wrong if you have the money and the item you want is their then snap it up, but do the majority of collectors religiously buy something every week or even month?

The thing for me is I've been collecting vintage Star Wars for a long time and I don't like paying over the odds for anything be it toilet role, a second hand car or a 20 back Power Droid! Even when Most MOC were below £30 a piece I still diden't buy 1 a week.

All that said it is bloody difficult at the moment. :lol:

x-pack

Grand Master
I've taken a break. No major purchases in ages now, just the odd piece here and there.

Maybe change toy line altogether. Its Transformers for me at the minute. Pure nostalgia :)

maxf

Jedi Master
Clarkspie&chips said:
I always find going to fairs and shows, chatting with other collectors and seeing stalls full of vintage is a great tonic for when things get a bit flat. Usually I end up walking away with something I had no idea I needed, which kick starts the hunt again

Yes, I agree with that! I'm heading to a show with a buddy this weekend, and FF isnt far away now either - I'm looking forward to both of those!

I think the social side and friendships is way more important to me these days than MOCs or whatever.

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
Christian said:
I hear ya Max!

Here's a pretty straightforward recommendation but I would try choosing a new, relatively inexpensive but fairly "off-the-wall" focus to build. I was in a similar position a few years back and after having picked up a collection of loose figures containing a Leia Hoth that had a paint ops error (you may recall kindly helping me out with a Luke Hoth with an unpainted bum!) and bang the hunt was on again! It was a pleasant distraction from not being able to add 'higher' end pieces specifically because of the reasons you've mentioned above even back then!

Best of luck - there's a myriad of different avenues to explore in the hobby :)

Cheers,
Christian

At this point in my collecting, there is not much I can add to runs that I have that isn't going to cost me a decent amount of cash, which I just don't have at the moment. My buying has slowed down significantly, which tends to give one a less optimistic and fun view toward the hobby. It's fun to get packages and new toys in! When that trails down, there is a tendency for one's mojo to go down.

But the remedy is there, and I think Christian nailed it. I think I am on the verge of starting a new run of something I don't believe anyone else has publicly stated they are collecting in earnest, and I don't think it should cost me too much to do it. Find something like that which keeps the items and fun coming, and you can keep things interesting. Participating here and in other forums and groups keeps it fun too!

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Another shout for attending cons. You get so much out of meeting and chatting with other people. It will add another dimension to your collecting, and if you go through dry spells you can offset that with sharing others finds and chatting about the hobby.

Ff is a great event. Get there the night before if you can.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes agreed, I went many years without buying anything significant but my interest stayed by coming on here/RS and going to events. I think if you get passed the 6-12 month newbie phase where they bankrupt themselves in the first three months and then sell everything again, you're in it for the long haul and can dip in and out as you please :)

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Always been ups and downs , I have collected , sold , regretted , collected , sold , regretted etc etc many times , but the bug always comes back !!!

I keep telling myself , there is nothing I want , then bang another thing I didn't know I wanted ?!!!!

poncho

Grand Master
steve obi wan said:
Always been ups and downs , I have collected , sold , regretted , collected , sold , regretted etc etc many times , but the bug always comes back !!!

I keep telling myself , there is nothing I want , then bang another thing I didn't know I wanted ?!!!!
this is me also :lol:

bosk70

Jedi Master
Supporter
For me vintage ,Star Wars is only a part of my hobby spectrum, I collect any vintage toy that reminds me of my child hood. Although have to be choosy as don't want to be an out of control hoarder.
Still get a real buzz when I find a nice bit of vintage at boot sales, weather its vintage sw or matchbox / dinky corgi/ micro naught etc also do a lot of mechanical work in my shed welding, vw's, etc and a bit of blacksmithing for fun . Think what I am trying to say is variety is the key, you usually find something of interest when out and about and if its vintage sw its a bonus :D but just as happy to find any of the above to collect or work on :) find the above works for me

scooternick

Jedi Knight
There's no doubt in my mind the frequency of sales threads has slowed quite a lot on the forum. I can't verify this with stats but it just seems less frequent and less exciting than 18 months ago when I first joined forum. Maybe this was a TFA bubble?!

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
scooternick said:
There's no doubt in my mind the frequency of sales threads has slowed quite a lot on the forum. I can't verify this with stats but it just seems less frequent and less exciting than 18 months ago when I first joined forum. Maybe this was a TFA bubble?!

I see the same in the Facebook groups as well. I believe TFA caused a huge bubble of interest, which has waned.

laurencedyer

Jedi Knight
I hear your pain buddy.
I've not really bought anything all year and had to sell off a significant chunk of my collection this year for one reason or another and have become a little bit of a lurker in all fairness.

I tend to keep active in research to keep my mind active in the hobby although that has had to slow down a little recently.

You could always start investigating something people know little about.

spoons

Grand Master
I think prices already seem to be dropping off Max. Take a break, come back in six months and it will feel a lot different. Even if prices stay high the break will do you good.

Or collect Action Man - bargain prices and Palitoy logos galore :)

olisuds

Sith Lord
I think I feel the same as many people that have commented here already. My collecting interests have been down for some time. Most of the stuff that interests me these days is so highly priced I can't bring myself to spend the money unless its something I really need to complete an existing run. I certainly don't see myself starting anything new at this point as even if it's affordable I'm just too aware of what it used to cost a year or two ago when things were less crazy. It's all made worse by the economy, exchange rate and competitiveness.

I've had a lot of friends that have found themselves letting pieces go or selling up. I think when you feel like that it's a good idea to just take a break for a few weeks or months and see how you feel. It's easy to make rash decisions and sell stuff you'll never get back.

There are a few things that keep my collecting buzz going like catching up with other collectors for a beer; photographing the collection or even working on a new display. Having your stuff out on display can really help keep you connected to your collection.

As far as picking up new stuff I've kind of gone back to basics. I don't care so much about pre production or rare or foreign stuff right now. I'm just picking up a few small things that make me happy because they remind me of my childhood toys. Stuff that I would have been excited to buy when i first started out collecting again. It's sometimes easy to loose sight of that and get caught up in putting together runs or focusses that have less connection, all because you get caught up in the thrill of the chase.

I've also found interest in collecting a few Transformers. They're not cheap either right now but perhaps it's because I'm not so acutely aware of the price increases they've had.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom