How to get rid of odour from cigarettes?

Furtin

Padawan
Nah not me, since I quit the bad habit over fifteen years ago. :lol:

But I just bought two loose figures in top condition. And when I started sniffing (expecting the soothing odour of vinyl), they turned out to be stinking ashtrays! :(

So any idea to get rid of it, perhaps without chemicals?
One is 8D8 and the other Bib Fortuna (the smell from his cloak!)

Any help is very welcome!

Thanks,
Andrea

Furtin

Padawan
Thanks poncho! I tried it carefully on the 8D8 but I think it must stay for at least 24hours in a soapbath, since it didnt get better by a bit...

Edit: btw. How harmful is soap on those figures?

Furtin

Padawan
Hmmm, I'll give it a try on the 8D8 again. Maybe for a bit longer and a different soap.

I'll go with lavender this time around! :lol:

poncho

Grand Master
now most of what i read on facebook is twaddle hogswash. however i do remember taking note of a comment where someone asked the samething most of the replies were roughly what i did. one guy even reccomended a dishwasher!....numpty :lol:

the comment i jotted down was wrapping them in newspaper and putting them in a cupboard or closet for 2 weeks. sounds interesting and plausible if i ever come across a stinker again im trying this. maybe you want to try it and inform the forum how you got on

regards

chris

Furtin

Padawan
Don't know about the dishwasher-method :eek:
And with the newspaper, you'll risk the ink to bleed onto the figure...

Nah, I'll try the soap method again. For a longer period.

spoons

Grand Master
A bit of time in the open air will do them the world of good. I had a speederbike box that reeked and it was fine after a few spells in the garden - luckily I bought it during the summer :)

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Was it someone on here or facebook who suggested that the best thing to do was take up smoking yourself as you wouldn't be able to smell a thing after that and everything you owned would then stink of fags.

Furtin

Padawan
Mr-shifter said:
Was it someone on here or facebook who suggested that the best thing to do was take up smoking yourself as you wouldn't be able to smell a thing after that and everything you owned would then stink of fags.

:lol: :!:

Furtin

Padawan
tiefighterboy said:
I try not to smell my figures. Honestly, I have never came across a toy I have smelled or that has emitted a cigarette smell.

Wow man, you dont love the vinyl smell from the figures? :shock:
It always brings me right back to my childhood! Love it!

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
When I buy beaters for my boy I put them through the dishwasher on a cool was. They always come out spanking clean.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Add a bit of fabric softner in a bowl of warm water, soak for an hour or so, leave to dry then spary a tiny bit of furniture polish into a cotton rag and give the figure a light rub.

Hey presto, no more fags. I do this with any figures I get that have that smokey or musty smell.

Furtin

Padawan
Thanks mate, I'll try that again later on, since the soaping hasn't helped much...
About the cloak though, I'll hang it in the open for a couple days.

Capetown

Staff member
Supporter
Joe once told me he got rid of cigarette smell on some of his figures bij putting them in a box with vanilla scent for a while. Never tried it, but sounds legit!

ODB

Jedi Master
I am told that putting them in a tupperware box with some silica gel packs is good for removing odours, no idea if it works on plastic though.

Joe

Grand Master
Emiel is right, I did indeed try the Tupperware box with vanilla essence trick on some baggies I once bought. Had no idea the buyer (a friend at the time) was as heavy smoker, was almost sick when they turned up!

That process is slow but it does work, took me a good 2 weeks but they came out smelling much better in the end. Just have to make sure the box is fully sealed and you drop the vanilla essence in a bottle cap inside.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom