Header image

Star Wars 3 packs !!

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
steve obi wan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:51 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby steve obi wan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:34 am

Hi guys ,

I have loved the Star Wars 3 Packs for a long time , however they are not really discussed that often . How rare are they ? , has many members on the forum got them ? Which is the most desirable? Etc etc

I have only 1 the Creature Cantina .

IMG_1666.JPG
IMG_1666.JPG (230.65 KiB) Viewed 243 times


P.s if anyone looking to sell or trade theirs let me know :wink:
Steve ,

Reliving my child hood , only this time I have to spend my own money !

User avatar
wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:40 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby wrighty » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:39 am

They look fantastic. I am really glad I am not into them especially most cost high 4 figures and low 5 figures!! :lol: I believe a complete set is 16.

User avatar
BadMotivator
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:09 pm

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby BadMotivator » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:40 am

It seems like they were the hot thing two or three years ago. Maybe they got a bit overexposed. I think a few peeps put together pretty good runs and then sold them on. They are fecking cool though. Yours in particular must be one of the best combos
Last edited by BadMotivator on Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ian Botham died to bring us this information."

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2889
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:04 am

Steve, that's a beauty :)

I think they're amazing pieces but I don't associate the price with the value. I guess because they were never on the shelves over here they are a bit of a Blue Snag: you want one but it doesn't hold the same feel as even a Klaatu missing his skirt.

I would love even one set but how some are commanding 5 figures I really don't know. I see the easier sets in the mid hundreds rather than thousands. Perhaps, like the Palitoy 12 back run used to be, it's considered a more sophisticated level of collecting because they're relatively unobtainable. Not necessarily rare but just at the top of the production pyramid in terms of collecting. Hey, Steve, does this make you a "high end collector" ;)

User avatar
theforceuk
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 5158
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby theforceuk » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:07 am

That's really nice, probably my favourite 3 pack. :)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

User avatar
steve obi wan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:51 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby steve obi wan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:11 am

ScruffyLookingNH wrote:Steve, that's a beauty :)

I think they're amazing pieces but I don't associate the price with the value. I guess because they were never on the shelves over here they are a bit of a Blue Snag: you want one but it doesn't hold the same feel as even a Klaatu missing his skirt.

I would love even one set but how some are commanding 5 figures I really don't know. I see the easier sets in the mid hundreds rather than thousands. Perhaps, like the Palitoy 12 back run used to be, it's considered a more sophisticated level of collecting because they're relatively unobtainable. Not necessarily rare but just at the top of the production pyramid in terms of collecting. Hey, Steve, does this make you a "high end collector" ;)


High end !!! 8) plenty of low end stuff aswell buddy :lol: :lol:
Steve ,

Reliving my child hood , only this time I have to spend my own money !

User avatar
steve obi wan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:51 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby steve obi wan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:13 am

theforceuk wrote:That's really nice, probably my favourite 3 pack. :)


He's my fave aswell !! :D
Steve ,

Reliving my child hood , only this time I have to spend my own money !

User avatar
Jez
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 4237
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:49 am

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby Jez » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:51 am

That one was my favourite as well due to the colours and figures.

Check out Chris Caswelbots interview on Episode 3 of the Podcast. He is the knowldege and the information is awesome.

User avatar
Jez
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 4237
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:49 am

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby Jez » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:52 am

Yes a complete set is 16.
Chris said (back in 2014) that you'd be looking at close to $100K for a complete set. Imagine what they are now!!

User avatar
steve obi wan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:51 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby steve obi wan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:04 pm

Jez wrote:Yes a complete set is 16.
Chris said (back in 2014) that you'd be looking at close to $100K for a complete set. Imagine what they are now!!


Crazy !!!!
Steve ,

Reliving my child hood , only this time I have to spend my own money !

User avatar
Ross_Barr
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:25 am

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby Ross_Barr » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:25 pm

I echo a lot of what people said here. They look cool as hell, and are not easy to find. I wouldn't call most of them rare (except for some of the ESB ones) by any means though. But as with everything else, the prices on them have gotten so out of reach for almost all collectors. I have wanted the two Han ones for a while and have had a few opportunities, but it seems silly to pay $8-10,000 and sacrifice a lot of my collection to sell in order to fund them, so I have passed on them.

User avatar
Caswellbot
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3070
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:27 pm

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby Caswellbot » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:28 pm

Lovely creature and defo one if my favourite figure combos too.

As jez mentioned I'm certainly into three packs and have spent the last five years just focused on them in particular. Although my interest has waned in the last year or two.

They are really highly sought after for a number of reasons in my opinion. Some of it is hard to explain unless you've held one. The packaging is seriously cool. Some of the figure combos are pretty odd and they are on the most part very rare. They were only released in the US, Canada and Australia that we know of.

Scruffy is right that a few of the sets can be picked up without too much difficulty if you are a bit patient and you've got the funds. However some of the sets in particular some of the esb sets are like hens teeth. Fewer than ten examples known. Those sets command BIG bucks. One or two of the Sw logo sets should also be considered rare in particular the original series one android set.
The thing is that there are only 16 sets to complete the run which on the face of it seems like a fair challenge but I estimate that it's only ever been done fewer than ten times. There are only two or three complete runs that I know of.

Canadian and Australian 3 packs are whole new ball park again and exist in minute quantities.

As a bizarre twist of fate there has been quite a few public three pack sales of late which has brought them back into the spot light. Most of the rarest sets are not sold publicly.

All the best, Chris

User avatar
steve obi wan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:51 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby steve obi wan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Thanks for the insight Chris !

Great share
Steve ,

Reliving my child hood , only this time I have to spend my own money !

User avatar
steve obi wan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2861
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:51 pm
Location: Northern Ireland

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby steve obi wan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:39 pm

Ross_Barr wrote:I echo a lot of what people said here. They look cool as hell, and are not easy to find. I wouldn't call most of them rare (except for some of the ESB ones) by any means though. But as with everything else, the prices on them have gotten so out of reach for almost all collectors. I have wanted the two Han ones for a while and have had a few opportunities, but it seems silly to pay $8-10,000 and sacrifice a lot of my collection to sell in order to fund them, so I have passed on them.


Too busy on the 32 back Han Ross !! :D


Great score
Steve ,

Reliving my child hood , only this time I have to spend my own money !

User avatar
Ross_Barr
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:25 am

Re: Star Wars 3 packs !!

Postby Ross_Barr » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:22 pm

steve obi wan wrote:
Ross_Barr wrote:I echo a lot of what people said here. They look cool as hell, and are not easy to find. I wouldn't call most of them rare (except for some of the ESB ones) by any means though. But as with everything else, the prices on them have gotten so out of reach for almost all collectors. I have wanted the two Han ones for a while and have had a few opportunities, but it seems silly to pay $8-10,000 and sacrifice a lot of my collection to sell in order to fund them, so I have passed on them.


Too busy on the 32 back Han Ross !! :D


Great score


Thanks Steve! I was pumped to add it.


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: elcroz and 11 guests