Star Wars 3 packs !!

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Hi guys ,

I have loved the Star Wars 3 Packs for a long time , however they are not really discussed that often . How rare are they ? , has many members on the forum got them ? Which is the most desirable? Etc etc

I have only 1 the Creature Cantina .

IMG_1666.JPG

P.s if anyone looking to sell or trade theirs let me know :wink:

wrighty

Sith Lord
They look fantastic. I am really glad I am not into them especially most cost high 4 figures and low 5 figures!! :lol: I believe a complete set is 16.

BadMotivator

Jedi Knight
It seems like they were the hot thing two or three years ago. Maybe they got a bit overexposed. I think a few peeps put together pretty good runs and then sold them on. They are fecking cool though. Yours in particular must be one of the best combos

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Steve, that's a beauty :)

I think they're amazing pieces but I don't associate the price with the value. I guess because they were never on the shelves over here they are a bit of a Blue Snag: you want one but it doesn't hold the same feel as even a Klaatu missing his skirt.

I would love even one set but how some are commanding 5 figures I really don't know. I see the easier sets in the mid hundreds rather than thousands. Perhaps, like the Palitoy 12 back run used to be, it's considered a more sophisticated level of collecting because they're relatively unobtainable. Not necessarily rare but just at the top of the production pyramid in terms of collecting. Hey, Steve, does this make you a "high end collector" ;)

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Steve, that's a beauty :)

I think they're amazing pieces but I don't associate the price with the value. I guess because they were never on the shelves over here they are a bit of a Blue Snag: you want one but it doesn't hold the same feel as even a Klaatu missing his skirt.

I would love even one set but how some are commanding 5 figures I really don't know. I see the easier sets in the mid hundreds rather than thousands. Perhaps, like the Palitoy 12 back run used to be, it's considered a more sophisticated level of collecting because they're relatively unobtainable. Not necessarily rare but just at the top of the production pyramid in terms of collecting. Hey, Steve, does this make you a "high end collector" ;)

High end !!! 8) plenty of low end stuff aswell buddy :lol: :lol:

Jez

Sith Lord
That one was my favourite as well due to the colours and figures.

Check out Chris Caswelbots interview on Episode 3 of the Podcast. He is the knowldege and the information is awesome.

Jez

Sith Lord
Yes a complete set is 16.
Chris said (back in 2014) that you'd be looking at close to $100K for a complete set. Imagine what they are now!!

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
I echo a lot of what people said here. They look cool as hell, and are not easy to find. I wouldn't call most of them rare (except for some of the ESB ones) by any means though. But as with everything else, the prices on them have gotten so out of reach for almost all collectors. I have wanted the two Han ones for a while and have had a few opportunities, but it seems silly to pay $8-10,000 and sacrifice a lot of my collection to sell in order to fund them, so I have passed on them.

Caswellbot

Sith Lord
Lovely creature and defo one if my favourite figure combos too.

As jez mentioned I'm certainly into three packs and have spent the last five years just focused on them in particular. Although my interest has waned in the last year or two.

They are really highly sought after for a number of reasons in my opinion. Some of it is hard to explain unless you've held one. The packaging is seriously cool. Some of the figure combos are pretty odd and they are on the most part very rare. They were only released in the US, Canada and Australia that we know of.

Scruffy is right that a few of the sets can be picked up without too much difficulty if you are a bit patient and you've got the funds. However some of the sets in particular some of the esb sets are like hens teeth. Fewer than ten examples known. Those sets command BIG bucks. One or two of the Sw logo sets should also be considered rare in particular the original series one android set.
The thing is that there are only 16 sets to complete the run which on the face of it seems like a fair challenge but I estimate that it's only ever been done fewer than ten times. There are only two or three complete runs that I know of.

Canadian and Australian 3 packs are whole new ball park again and exist in minute quantities.

As a bizarre twist of fate there has been quite a few public three pack sales of late which has brought them back into the spot light. Most of the rarest sets are not sold publicly.

All the best, Chris

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Ross_Barr said:
I echo a lot of what people said here. They look cool as hell, and are not easy to find. I wouldn't call most of them rare (except for some of the ESB ones) by any means though. But as with everything else, the prices on them have gotten so out of reach for almost all collectors. I have wanted the two Han ones for a while and have had a few opportunities, but it seems silly to pay $8-10,000 and sacrifice a lot of my collection to sell in order to fund them, so I have passed on them.

Too busy on the 32 back Han Ross !! :D

Great score

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
steve obi wan said:
Ross_Barr said:

Too busy on the 32 back Han Ross !! :D

Great score

Thanks Steve! I was pumped to add it.

PulsarP

Jedi Knight
Awesome 3 pack there Steve 8) that would probably be my fave combination too but would also love the droids combo.
I'm almost certain I remember seeing some 3 packs for sale in Redgates in Sheffield around 79-82 but after reading this thread you have me doubting myself.

I'm also regretting not upping my bid from 1400 on a set on eBay around 5 years ago. Set went for just under 1600 :shock:

Paul

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
PulsarP said:
Awesome 3 pack there Steve 8) that would probably be my fave combination too but would also love the droids combo.
I'm almost certain I remember seeing some 3 packs for sale in Redgates in Sheffield around 79-82 but after reading this thread you have me doubting myself.

I'm also regretting not upping my bid from 1400 on a set on eBay around 5 years ago. Set went for just under 1600 :shock:

Paul

Unfortunately SW full of regrets Paul !! :lol: :lol:

Would have been a great score , just missed out on a Droids 3 pack a couple of weeks ago . :twisted:

maxf

Jedi Master
stormcab said:
Is it just me who thinks they are a bit dull because they have no photo art?

I see where you're coming from to be honest - I hadn't thought of that before but it certainly changes the look of the packaging a lot.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
I love the three packs, I see what is being said about artwork, but for me the simplicity of the graphics (a work of art in my mind) makes these so iconic of the period and the combinations of characters work so well too! Superb item Steve, you lucky boy! 8)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom