Those lovely guys at H.M. C&E

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Just received another figure in the post from the States and my 'friends' at Customs have decided I need to pay another Ã'£45 VAT on top :( . Whilst this doesn't bother me TOO much (I knew I might have to pay after the seller said he "forgot" to write a low value on the custom declaration).
I had a thought though, can I claim back the VAT, if I sell the item on?

Does it need to be sold to someone outside the UK for me to claim back VAT or can I claim it if I sell it to another collector in the UK?
If so, what documentation do I need to claim it back?

Anyone any experience of this, I know there is a type of fraud (carousel) based around claiming back VAT on goods that enter and leave the UK, OBVIOUSLY I don't wanna do that, but It would be nice to actually get something back from those b*stards at C&E.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Weaz.

Stop your bleating! - without raising essential tax revenues Her Majesty's Government would find it extremely difficult to pay for its big ass wars in countries strategically important for energy sources and supply lines.

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Don't start me on the Government and Taxes!

They get more than enough outta me and what do I get in return.........................f*ck all!
:twisted:

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Cheers Inzaman, that shoots that one down then!

Ahhh well, more money of mine for Tony and Gordon to pish away on ID cards or some new war somewhere.

Bollux

Grand Master
And to pay teachers wages!

My pitiful collection may come cheap but Sith-Smiths certainly doesnt! :lol:

AndyG

Jedi Knight
inzaman said:
weasel said:
I had a thought though, can I claim back the VAT, if I sell the item on?
Not unless you are VAT registered.

If you were registered self employed for buying and selling Star Wars stuff you could also offset these costs against tax.

You wouldn't need to be VAT registered to do that.

inzaman

Sith Lord
AndyG said:
If you were registered self employed for buying and selling Star Wars stuff you could also offset these costs against tax.

You wouldn't need to be VAT registered to do that.
Thats correct, you would not be able to claim the VAT back though but just offset the cost relative to your business against your income in calculation of your income tax liability :)

sith-smith

Grand Master
Bollux said:
And to pay teachers wages!

My pitiful collection may come cheap but Sith-Smiths certainly doesnt! :lol:

Don't I know it.

:roll:

C&E have made it that bit more expensive.

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
Yeah I was getting fed up with import charges,the most was Ã'£90 for my 12 back Ben.Here's a tip though if buying from Cloud City.I asked them to post with a $600 figure out with a declared value of $15.I thought bollocks to it, if it gets lost it gets lost.Anyway I contacted them when it arrived and they said it was still insured through a 3rd party.
No declared value=saving on taxes and still insured COOL!!

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
Afa allso does this so you wont get charged vat or import duty on your own items. Your items are still insured for the full value but have either no value or a very low value on the customs form.

inzaman

Sith Lord
Jukesy said:
I will have to start doing this, so far i have spent Ã'£300 paying for import, VAT and parcelforce clearance fees.
:shock: :shock: blimey thats a fairly decent carded figure or a few carded figures :shock: :shock:

Jukesy

Sith Lord
Thats a few...worse is yet to come!!

I have one here for Ã'£40

and have

AFA R2-D2
AFA Jawa
AFA Sand People
AFA Luke Bespin Fatigues

still to come and they will be insure for a total of Ã'£1000 so 17.5% of that is Ã'£175 then the Import duty which i think is 9% another Ã'£90 and to top it off parcelforce clearance fees!

Lee Gregory

Sith Lord
It's a pain in the arse Jukesy,I've paid out loads over last few months,I know what it feels like.If you get owt from Cloud City makes it that bit cheaper knowing you don't have to pay any import duties.

craignwo4life

Sith Lord
All of my previous charges have been around Ã'£30 so if I have to buy something from the States I always take that into account when making my bid.

TWOFOOT

Jedi Master
I will have to start doing this, so far i have spent Ã'£300 paying for import, VAT and parcelforce clearance fees.
What really anoys me is that parcel force clearence fees are twice as much as royal mail clearence fees and most things go through parcel force. :evil:
Allso about a month ago parcel force brought a new system in so insted of trying to post the parcel , they send you a letter saying your item has customs charges on and you either have to arrange a time with them to deliver it or you have to go and pick it up yourself. :evil: :evil: :cry:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom