Anyone ever manage to fix a dented bubble?

stormcab

Sith Lord
Seeing so many perfect MOCs blighted only by one dent, and my most recent AT-AT Driver MOC having one, has prompted me to wonder - has anyone ever attempted to improve or fix as best they can?

Yes I can already feel everyone's butt clench up at such a dangerous prospect. Something like pointing a heat gun at it and hope it softens just enough that it flattens out. Maybe someone has bought a really cheap beat up MOC to practice on?

Off the top of my head I could imagine covering up as much of the area surrounding the dent as possible, heating from quite a distance, then using the figure inside to lightly tap against it.

Anyway, thoughts? :D

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
I was once told that a hair dryer held approx 30 cm from the bubble would heat up the air inside the bubble and expand it quicker than the air outside the bubble. The result being it would pop any dings out from the inside using the expanded air pressure.

I tried it on a battered trilogo ATST Driver many years ago and after seeing no effect from 30cm i tried it a bit closer and ended up shrivelling up the bubble.

I've had more success just using my fingers to lightly pinch the dinged corner of the bubble and try to shape it slightly. It can improve things slightly but you'll never completely fix it if it's got a stress line or if the ding is significant. It can end up making things a whole lot worse.

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
Actually another solution I have used with more success is using a little strip of duck tape on the ding and pulling it out using the strength of the adhesive. Then to avoid further damage use some white spirit or lighter fluid on the duck tape to break down the adhesive before removing.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yes, I have pulled out lots of my trilogo bubbles. As long as it is just a dent and not creased, use sellotape to gently pull dents out. I don't think this would work with standard Kenner/Palitoy bubbles as they are much harder and more brittle.

Oh and obviously do this at your own risk ;)

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Slightly gross, but I've actually sucked out a dent from a Tri-Logo bubble. Sellotape option sounds much more palatable for the future though! :?

poncho

Grand Master
i started to use a dyson hoover on one of my trilogo beaters then i woosed out. i left it be character and all that.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Tried hair dryer and duct tape. Duct tape works really well, but you must take your time and hold the bubble edge onto the card to avoid pulling it off :lol: I've had some Action Force cards that were dented and crushed really badly, but a few minutes with some duct tape and they looked 10 X better. It's difficult to remove them entirely though.

Basically, cut around 12cm of tape and gently press/smooth the middle section onto the ding. Take your time with this to make sure it's thoroughly stuck down. Then, gently take both ends of the duct tape and pull up, perpendicular to the ding. Hold the nearest bubble edge at the same time as pulling. Pull with a steady, gentle force- you will be able to judge how much it can take. Repeat if necessary.

greedole

Padawan
SAVORY100 said:
Slightly gross, but I've actually sucked out a dent from a Tri-Logo bubble. Sellotape option sounds much more palatable for the future though! :?

I can vouch for suckage......provided you get a good seal.

:shock:

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
Do NOT try the hair-dryer option. It's a matter of a few degrees and some seconds to long and the re-dented bubble starts to melt and wrap around your figure. Leave your MOCs as they are ...

rdpla

Jedi Knight
Plastikheld said:
Do NOT try the hair-dryer option. It's a matter of a few degrees and some seconds to long and the re-dented bubble starts to melt and wrap around your figure. Leave your MOCs as they are ...

Dont they have a cold setting on UK dryers? :?: :lol:

x-wingMark

Jedi Master
I have never touched the bubbles on my moc's as i would be to worried about damaging them.

I would personally just leave them as they are. Adds the vintage shop look to them imo.

Plastikheld

Jedi Knight
rdpla said:
Plastikheld said:

Dont they have a cold setting on UK dryers? :?: :lol:
Drying here in Germany, but it won't have any effect on the bubble if you do it cold. :wink:

TrisCompany

Jedi Knight
Well that's Sunday night sorted. I've got an evening or sucking Trilogo bubbles to come! (better find a quiet corner and pull the curtains down).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom