Long term solution for tape sealed boxes/baggies etc?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Some of the tape seals on my MISB vehicles are on borrowed time. Some are starting to come undone, some are going so yellow they are very brittle. While I'm fairly confident carded figures will last for decades yet, I'm also fairly certain that some of these tape sealed items will not stay sealed for more than a few more years.

What do you think the long term solution is? Should we just let time take its toll and for the boxes to naturally open, or are we going to need to change our opinion on double taping, reseals etc to keep these boxed items factory sealed?

I'm warming to the idea of adding more tape (in a previously untaped area) as I know it will then stay sealed for another 20+ years. There are two problems with this though - firstly it's obviously frowned upon so I wouldn't do it, and secondly unless I took a video or something there would be no proof that the box was never opened.

I know grading is one option, but to me an open box with dried out tape in a sealed acrylic case is not sealed. Any other ideas?

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Here's an example, this tape is about 50% unstuck on one side now. As you can see there is loads of room for me to add fresh tape without interfering with the old tape, but see above for the practical/ethical issues in doing that.

IMG_4232.JPG

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
How about 3 rd party tape in a previously untaped area and leaving the existing tape in place done by a grader at the time of grading and therefore registered proof. Not ideal but maybe an idea

Lee Bullock

Jedi Knight
I really think let time take its course - the contents are sealed and the box hinge uncreased. I think adding new tape is like gluing down a lift on a carded figure. You still have a great looking piece that is shop stock without retaping.

Lee

yoda

Sith Lord
I would rather leave it be as it is, I would still know its unopened even if the tape come undone.
I would prefer to have anything I own left be the way it was when it was packed. If it opens over time so be it at least everthing is still original.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
How about making your own cases in glass or acrylic that are really sung so it gives the tape further support Edd??, I made a glass case for my special offer snowspeeder,it's not sealed, but to make the box hold it's shape better, but would work equally as well for this problem buddy

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
I defo don't believe in corrupting the piece i.e. adding extra tape, adding something not original to the piece simply won't do :!:

If one is dead set on the status of the piece remaining factory sealed for all time then grading is the only option IMO :!: Yes Edd the tape may have dried up and lifted from the box but if the box is officially sealed up before this occurs then the sealed time period has been preserved and one knows for sure no hand has been in the box after leaving the factory so in my book still factory sealed :!:

Me personally I have always said I love unused as well as factory sealed cause yes totally sealed is absolute top grade but u got the best of both worlds with unused i.e. enjoying a nice look inside from time to time 8)

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Yep I agree with everything said, I am not somebody who restores things currently. My question was more is a change of mindset required? Because if not there simply won't be any sealed vehicles left at some point.

Imagine if the glue on MOCs was starting to give, I'm sure people would be looking for a solution to keep them sealed without destroying the pieces originality, credibility and value. Some kind of clamp perhaps for MOCs? Maybe grading companies could offer a qualified resealing service?

One thing I have noticed is that Palitoy items are taped much less securely. Most large Kenner vehicles have several large pieces of tape on each flap, where as Palitoy boxes only have one small piece.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Ha! Tell me about it Edd :!: Got two mint SW X-Wings sitting there, one Kenner the other Palitoy. Kenner one fully factory sealed with big heavy duty industrial tape and on the Palitoy box a neat small outline where a small piece of delicate arts & crafts type tape used to b :lol:

Would b nice to have another method of preservation. As u said Edd I too am confident thankfully MOCs should stay intact for many years to come.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
What about wrapping the boxes in cellophane? A seller at the last farthest from had all his boxed vehicles like this and I thought it was a neat way of keeping everything tight and secure and would not put the tape under any more stress.

The only issue I could see would be a potential reaction between the cellophane and the litho.

spoons

Grand Master
For me this is where grading really is worth while. The factory seal will dry out but a 'reputable' organisation will have a label saying it's still unopened. The actual tape seal is irreleavant then.

The acrylic stops that edge wear too, or you just accept that these seals go and people's reputations go some way in convincing buyers that the box is unopened.

Adding more tape seems open to abuse and unnecessary

maxf

Jedi Master
One of the stranger things Ive found in collecting is that once tape pops open in an AFA case, people want a significant discount on the price. It's inevitable and doesnt affect the piece at all (IMO).

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Totally mate. People who expect that reduction have totally missed the preservation service provided by grading :!:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Actually I do understand that, it's just another case of an invalid grade (eg a MOC with an 85 grade and cracked bubble that happened after it was graded.) I can see both sides of that one.

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Sorry Edd that statement wasn't directed at urself.

However the tape popping on a box already graded is no way the same as a graded 85 MOC getting damaged once graded ie cracked bubble :!: I guess the way I explain it is thus;
The bubble seal and indeed bubble on a MOC is part of the packaging so if they become damaged, the packaging becomes damaged. The tape that seals a box isn't really part of the packaging, so providing the tape just naturally lifts and isn't removed by force ie ripping the box surface then the packaging remains undamaged and therefore the grade remains intact. Granted it may no longer b as cool as it once was with the tape seal intact but still remains untouched factory/shop stock 8) So because this is the case I don't believe a significant drop in value is warranted. Sure at the same time if a bubble significantly lifts or indeed comes off already graded then due to the seal being part of the packaging, the package has become damaged therefore the grade has become null and void and therefore value significantly drops :!:

Obviously my opinion :wink:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom