Response to Claims

j10e5f6f6

Youngling
Hi Everybody

Firstly, I'd like to start by saying how seriously I take these allegations of fraud. I am not manufacturing baggies, selling resealed baggies or even knowingly re-selling fake baggies.

I value Frank's knowledge on the subject of baggies and want to believe that he and the team's concerns are well intentioned and in the interest of the hobby. However, I do wish they had contacted me directly to me to clarify these concerns as I have been in regular contact with Frank and several of the other members of the team over the years as they buy baggies from me, so lines of communication were wide open.

As a collector of Vintage Star Wars for over 20 years now, I have made some good friends in the hobby but the initial thread that Frank posted has now taken a turn towards that of a lynch mob. In the past week I've been shocked by just how many comments of a more personal nature there are, about my family, home or even the cars I drive. All in reply to Frank's original post about fake baggies, can we please keep to the facts and concerns about baggies?

I was interviewed on the Vintage Rebellion Podcast to address the accusation publicly & I tried to do just that. I hope everyone interested has taken the time to listen to it. Since it aired it's become apparent to me that my lack of presence on the Star Wars Forum UK is just adding to people's concerns. So now I've joined SWFUK to post this open letter.

Whilst my original intention was to take all my baggies to Frank for inspection, upon reflection I feel that an independent assessment by UKG would be the best option all round. So on Tuesday 17th January 2017, I spoke with Steve Ward of UKG at length and he has agreed to inspect EVERY baggie I have both in both my own personal collection & all my spares (i.e. ones I have to sell/trade).

We feel this is the best way to identify any fakes I may have picked up over the years and therefore remove any doubt over the baggies I chose to sell off in the future. Until Steve's report is complete ALL my baggie sales are on hold.

Therefore, so that Steve can inspect them, I ask anyone reading this who has bought ANY of the following baggie types from me in the past to you can return them to me by the end of January for a full refund. SW-a / SW-b / SW-d / ESB-b / ROTJ-a / ESB-H / ESB-H (extra wide) / POTF figures in Palitoy-a & Meccano w/Red Sticker.

Once the audit of over 650 baggies has been completed I will be posting a full list of the baggies Steve deems fake, which will be opened and sold as mint loose figures on my stall at future Farthest From events.

I thank you in advance for your patience while we await the facts & assure you that the truth will out.

Yours sincerely

Jeff Glanville

Cymonguk

Padawan
Thankyou for making the effort Jeff. I

Whilst understanding the desire to get these approved, I would ask how will UKG know that these are all your baggies, and how you will evidence the ones checked are the ones sold? How will you going forward ensure that the baggies you sell are not fakes?

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
Be a good idea if this could be kept thread could be kept sane to ensure people get the outcome they wish.

Lets not chase the OP away with your '2 cents'.

Edit- this post is not a response to the second post. :wink:

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Ok,

Jeff, several allegations have been made against you and a large amount of evidence has been posted. Take all the **** out of that thread there are some fairly serious examples of shady practices that have been alleged:

To name a few.

Shill bidding
Multiple eBay accounts
Knowingly reselling known suspect stock

This is now not just about these baggies, a lot about your character has also been brought into question.

It is commendable that you appear to be trying to make good on your previous issues, and that you are involving a third party, but will you take time to look at other evidence that has been gathered and answer further issues, particularly involving other practices that have been alleged.

It is not a case of answer in this thread, or expecting an instant answer, but are you willing to commit to looking at this evidence and addressing issues raised, either yourself or by means of mediation if necessary.

Thank you for coming to respond.

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Jeff, thanks for joining the forum and posting. I appreciate your statement, but unfortunately apart from denying any wrong doing it does not answer any of the claims.

Your statement says you have not been selling resealed baggies. That is simply not true, see this evidence thread for dozens of examples of 100% fake baggies that you have personally sold:

http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32568

You also say that you have not knowingly sold fake baggies. Again there is hard evidence of this, see here:

http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32568#p433111
http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32568&start=15#p433548

There is less concrete evidence that suggests you could have been making them eg buying loose light blue Boba Fetts and then suddenly having baggies for sale, although that is only circumstantial unlike the above two accusations.

Offering refunds and to grade your remaining stock is a positive step, but the above needs addressing. Although there is no hard evidence of you actually making fake baggies, I'm afraid there is concrete evidence of the other two accusations so denying it only discredits you further.

maxf

Jedi Master
Jeff - would you make your ebay accounts feedback public so people can see what the various accounts have been buying? That might help your case, as at the moment it looks like your second account has been buying lots of SW stuff.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Jeff, will be interesting to see your responses to the specific evidence and in particular all info you can provide on where these fake baggies came from.

But for now I'm having a hard time even believing you wrote the statement above. After having read some of your email responses to people that have been shared on the other thread your writing style is completely different to the statement. As a contrast read the statement and then read this, written a week ago by Jeff on facebook:

Hi Guys sorry i keep on tapping the enter bar ,Sorry. Not used to these soical media pages although its good to keep an eye what my family and friends are doing but thats it really. My wife set me up on here as she has done on other sites, I think some of you have tryed to contacted me on in the past but had no reply (Sorry) again tec is beyond me and only do Emails and Texts or phone calls.Im here to say my piece and weather your with me or not thats for you to decide? Some of you will know me as i have sold shed loads of starwars stuff on and off ebay for near 10 years now. Not just baggie, I have been collecting mainly starwars baggies since the late 90;s and had at one point over 1000 baggies . I have sold many to some of you guys and become very good friends having the plesure of meeting some of you recently in person at the FF show .My good friend asked me along to sell my excess stock last year and i have been welcomed back since. I hope this issues does not damage this relation i have with these guys as im so upset with how this has been done .Now im here to say my piece as most of all know by now im being outted as a faker. I had been accumalating baggies mainly via ebay and private sales and recently over the last 3 years been switching to collecting carded figs as i have noted alot of my bagged figures were starting to perish/spilt /dry ect and decided that i would start to sell all these excess stock i have as really do i need these many baggies sitting in boxes in the loft?? So thats the main reason i have sold so many not that i have been making them thats maddness . I have sold many of these so called fakes to Frank mewesway back and he accepted them so had no reason to deem them as any thing but genuine. I know one of my soures was a guy called Gratson cant remeber his first name but spent £1000's of pounds with him which is the source of most of my SW-a , b and d, which the text is not right i been told and only found out last night

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Jeff, will be interesting to see your responses to the specific evidence and in particular all info you can provide on where these fake baggies came from.

But for now I'm having a hard time even believing you wrote the statement above. After having read some of your email responses to people that have been shared on the other thread your writing style is completely different to the statement. As a contrast read the statement and then read this, written a week ago by Jeff on facebook:

Hi Guys sorry i keep on tapping the enter bar ,Sorry. Not used to these soical media pages although its good to keep an eye what my family and friends are doing but thats it really. My wife set me up on here as she has done on other sites, I think some of you have tryed to contacted me on in the past but had no reply (Sorry) again tec is beyond me and only do Emails and Texts or phone calls.Im here to say my piece and weather your with me or not thats for you to decide? Some of you will know me as i have sold shed loads of starwars stuff on and off ebay for near 10 years now. Not just baggie, I have been collecting mainly starwars baggies since the late 90;s and had at one point over 1000 baggies . I have sold many to some of you guys and become very good friends having the plesure of meeting some of you recently in person at the FF show .My good friend asked me along to sell my excess stock last year and i have been welcomed back since. I hope this issues does not damage this relation i have with these guys as im so upset with how this has been done .Now im here to say my piece as most of all know by now im being outted as a faker. I had been accumalating baggies mainly via ebay and private sales and recently over the last 3 years been switching to collecting carded figs as i have noted alot of my bagged figures were starting to perish/spilt /dry ect and decided that i would start to sell all these excess stock i have as really do i need these many baggies sitting in boxes in the loft?? So thats the main reason i have sold so many not that i have been making them thats maddness . I have sold many of these so called fakes to Frank mewesway back and he accepted them so had no reason to deem them as any thing but genuine. I know one of my soures was a guy called Gratson cant remeber his first name but spent £1000's of pounds with him which is the source of most of my SW-a , b and d, which the text is not right i been told and only found out last night

You beat me to it, Matt.

Of course Jeff's response is a great positive step towards making this right, but to me the response reads like someone who got caught doing something he knows he shouldn't have done - whether he made them or knowingly sold fakes ones sold by others (it was either of these options, neither of which is good) - and now he is trying to make things right only because he got caught. Like I said, it's better than getting caught and not trying to make things right, but it still doesn't answer any of the questions and evidence posted.

And to glob on to what Matt said, the most recent response from Jeff looks like it was written by a lawyer or at the very least a very good writer. While it's curious that at the same time Jeff's response posted to Echo was filled with grammatical errors, run on sentences, and otherwise looks like it was written by a totally different person. And please don't try to explain that difference by using something like Jeff's own words in the Echo post: "[I'm] [n]ot used to these soical [sic] media pages." Writing a response on a social media page is simply typing. Just like responding on a forum is merely typing.

Time will tell if Jeff lives up to his promises, and it can't be ignored that if he does so it goes far towards making things right. But it certainly doesn't answer any of the many allegations against him.

Ian_C

Jedi Master
I was going to stay out of this thread, as my concerns have been addressed already (writing style, flat out denial in the face of hard evidence, etc).

However, I have one serious question.

Why will you only accept returns over the next week and a half? Does that include postage time (ie. must arrive to your mailbox by Jan. 31)? What happens after that? Are you going to give anyone who returns something Feb. 1 or later a hard time, fake or not? If they're fake and you sold them, any affected buyers deserve a refund with no end date to return them by...

Ian

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Ross, you didn't write it for him did you? :D

I'm of the belief that a man can find redemption if he genuinely wants it. Today on the news Martin McGuiness who began life as an IRA terrorist and has ended his career as a bonafide peace maker in N.Ireland.

Jeff, I'd say to you be 100% honest. Don't turn inward into more and more lies. That is not good for your conscience or your soul.

Lunar_Jetman

Youngling
Ross_Barr said:
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:

You beat me to it, Matt.

Of course Jeff's response is a great positive step towards making this right, but to me the response reads like someone who got caught doing something he knows he shouldn't have done - whether he made them or knowingly sold fakes ones sold by others (it was either of these options, neither of which is good) - and now he is trying to make things right only because he got caught. Like I said, it's better than getting caught and not trying to make things right, but it still doesn't answer any of the questions and evidence posted.

And to glob on to what Matt said, the most recent response from Jeff looks like it was written by a lawyer or at the very least a very good writer. While it's curious that at the same time Jeff's response posted to Echo was filled with grammatical errors, run on sentences, and otherwise looks like it was written by a totally different person. And please don't try to explain that difference by using something like Jeff's own words in the Echo post: "[I'm] [n]ot used to these soical [sic] media pages." Writing a response on a social media page is simply typing. Just like responding on a forum is merely typing.

Time will tell if Jeff lives up to his promises, and it can't be ignored that if he does so it goes far towards making things right. But it certainly doesn't answer any of the many allegations against him.

Is it really that big a deal that he's sought help to compose his response? Surely its better to have something that is at least readable over what was posted on facebook?

The evidence certainly seems damning so I think at the very least Jeff needed to formulate a measured response.

That said, for all its structure, his response still doesn't really cover the claims that have been made. He's still saying he didn't do what he's accused of without countering any of the specific accusations against him.

Time will tell I guess.

Oh and just realised this is my first post after lurking for a while!

maxf

Jedi Master
It doesnt really matter if his Mrs or whoever put his reply into paragraphs and sorted some typos, IMO. As long as the sentiment and words came from him I'm cool with whatever.

Grant_C

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm glad he didn't right the word 'quack' or he would be accused of getting a duck to write it.

Maybe there is a beast.........maybe it's only us..........

Eject.

yoda

Sith Lord
Yes its good Jeff has now responded on the forum its better for everyone involved.
Its better to keep everything civil now and not say something in the heat of the moment. Alot has been written on this thread with people looking answers because it has gotten very serious.
He has now joined so he can reply to everything that has been written.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Grant_C said:
I'm glad he didn't right the word 'quack' or he would be accused of getting a duck to write it.

Eject.

What was that about 'your 2 cents'! :lol:

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
Ok, it's fine giving refunds for people on SWFUK who read this. But what about all the people who've bought from Jeff on FB or eBay, at FF and anywhere else they've been sold? Isn't it entirely possible that there are hundreds of people with little or no hope of knowing about a return date of next week, or even that there's a problem in the first place? Feels like a (welcome) gesture to pacify a small (vocal) section of collectors while potentially leaving a much larger section oblivious. What are you going to do about those people Jeff? Presumably as you've demonstrated you don't have the knowledge to identify fakes yourself over a number of years you'll only sell graded baggies in future?

Mr-shifter

Sith Lord
Grant_C said:

Eject.

People are suspicious mate, and do you not agree they have every right to be? We are hearing from people on the other thread who have found themselves thousands out of pocket from deals With Jeff.

This man has a lot to answer for. He needs to answer for it, or do you feel everyone should just lay off and let him be?

newswseller

Padawan
jedisearcher said:
Ok, it's fine giving refunds for people on SWFUK who read this. But what about all the people who've bought from Jeff on FB or eBay, at FF and anywhere else they've been sold? Isn't it entirely possible that there are hundreds of people with little or no hope of knowing about a return date of next week, or even that there's a problem in the first place? Feels like a (welcome) gesture to pacify a small (vocal) section of collectors while potentially leaving a much larger section oblivious. What are you going to do about those people Jeff? Presumably as you've demonstrated you don't have the knowledge to identify fakes yourself over a number of years you'll only sell graded baggies in future?

He has all the details from his ebay sales, to make this right for everyone involved.

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Bootyhunter said:
Do we know if this is actually Jeff posting?

Fair question, anyone could grab that handle/user name and sign-up... we have a history of attracting cranks and trolls don't we...
Maybe Frank or one of the podcast team could ask a question or two by PM that only Jeff could know to confirm and validate.

No one should be surprised though that a chap in this position has taken time to draft a more formal and appropriately written response though; no way that a solicitor wrote it, maybe under advisement of a more educated, skilled wordsmith, but nothing more IMO

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom