When is it acceptable to overpay?

lejackal

Grand Master
Would you or would you hold back knowing that you were in some small part contributing to rising prices?

I don't buy massive amounts and am rarely focused for long but do love a Kaybee sticker when I find one, especially on something slightly more unusual. I know this sticker adds no value to the piece in the wider market but would gladly pay a little more if it meant securing something that doesn't come up very often, what are your thoughts?

If it were the last thing you needed for a run would you just take the hit or would you continue to hold out?

What, if anything, would make you overpay?

maxf

Jedi Master
If it's something you want for your collection, then I think it's fair game to overpay - most people would think we overpay if we spend £50 on a moc, not £500 or more!

I know people get stick for spending too much on SW stuff - especially loose figures, and I agree some prices are crazy based on what they used to cost, but really - I don't think it matters too much. The market will find it's level.

What I disagree massively with is people saying 'great price' or 'that's a £xxxx piece' on FS or pricing threads where they either wouldnt pay that or don't know the market.

poncho

Grand Master
mmmm

i suppose the example would be.when a piece you have been chasing for awhile comes along. you missed out previously at market value per say

id offer a good price and more to secure it guess

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
It depends what it is, I wouldn't over pay for a loose figure or common MOC out of laziness. That is what drives up prices. I did recently pay more than I wanted to for a carded Yak but it was in line with current market value and less than any listed on eBay so I don't think has done any harm.

robpmarsh

Sith Lord
I'd consider paying a bit extra for something I'm after...a good example would be a trilogo leia hoth, but it wouldn't be the crazy amounts currently being asked for graded examples.

stormcab

Sith Lord
I don't like to be partly responsible for driving up prices, so I'll happily miss out on a piece if I think it's a bit over what it should be. I removed my bid on a MOC last night on eBay which would have won it for me. It was an ungraded ESB AT-AT Driver in the US. It went for around £195. I would have then had to pay postage to Iain, then postage from him. I had won an 80 graded one a couple of months back for £140, so £195 was too high, even though it was a different ESB card and in great shape.

By holding out, I've manage to pay the lower end of the price range for a MOC on every one I've bought for the last 2 years.

I'm not chasing anything rare, so a lot of the fun is bagging something for well below the market rate.

If it's something that doesn't come up that often, well that is another matter. Then I would suggest it's as much as you're willing to pay, as long as it's not £7k for a Palitoy 30 back FX-7 :D

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
What's the old saying; "something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay" :!: Now sometimes that can mean a right bargain for someone and sometimes it can mean the seller has hit the jackpot :!:

I would say I have been pretty sensible over the years and never paid out stupid for something. But some pieces in my collection rarely come up on the open market so what do u pay :?: I have had to pay out big bucks for a couple of MOCs that completed a run over the past couple of years but if I should sell those today I am v confident I would make a profit.

On another note ****ing Vectis's fees can make u overpay all the bloody time :lol:

lee gray

Sith Lord
I purchased a GI Joe item last year for nearly 300 quid as i really really wanted it and that was the price it was(no leeway) and I had never see one before although seen similar items of diff characters and not seen one since but i expect even if i was to sell it noone would pay even 150 for it but sometimes when you want something bad enough a bit extra doesnt hurt, i dont think i would overpay by $1000 more than something was worth though

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
When you buy something on Facebook. Only joking, whenever you really want something I think and you have the funds waiting. :)

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
If you consider paying today's risen prices as overpaying then you need to overpay most times you buy something, sadly.

I don't really consider that overpaying, as such, as that's what the stuff is worth - rightly or wrongly.

I don't think I've done too much overpaying. I do a lot of buying small lots and selling bits onward to pay for my habit so it balances out. I've got lots of time on my hands though.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
It's a very broad question and I have overpaid many times. Usually when I've got carried away on eBay or just wanted something badly that I've not seen come up often. If you slightly overpay but you have the money and you can live with it I think it's fine but if you pay double what it's really worth or has come up for then you're an idiot and you're fuelling deluded sellers that are asking crazy prices.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
You have to weigh up the 'regularity' of the item in question.

Will you potentially have another opportunity to purchase this item at a fairer price next week, next month, or next year?

If the answer is next year - then it might be acceptable to overpay. Patience is a virtue but for those items that do tend to only come around once a year or even longer then paying a bit over the odds to secure it does make sense.

maxf

Jedi Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
You have to weigh up the 'regularity' of the item in question.

Will you potentially have another opportunity to purchase this item at a fairer price next week, next month, or next year?

If the answer is next year - then it might be acceptable to overpay. Patience is a virtue but for those items that do tend to only come around once a year or even longer then paying a bit over the odds to secure it does make sense.

I agree! I need a paploo and romba - I won't pay too much for those as I'll feel like I'm getting mugged off. I also need a 30a Bossk and IG-88 and suspect I'll need to massively 'overpay' based on the known sales - purely as they probably won't come round again anytime soon.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Hi

If it is acceptable to overpay in certain circumstances then it must also be acceptable to overcharge as one can not exist without the other?

So are we then saying that if something is rare enough and the buyer desires it enough it is perfectly acceptable to overcharge them?

Thanks

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom