Which is rarer 30 Back A or B?

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Hi

In general which are rarer 30 back A's or B's?

Out of the ten new figures found on a 30 back card which are rarer 30 back A or B and what kind of price differential is there between them?

Thanks for your help?

sith-smith

Grand Master
When I was trying to put together the first 10 on 30b, I noticed certain figures seemed easier than others

Luke Bespin is probably the most notable for toughness on the 30b. I know of 3...though to emphasise, that's just to my knowledge, which is anything but extensive and certainly not to be taken as an absolute fact. It's possibly the toughest of the 10 to get on 30b and considerably tougher than the 30a

Leia on 30b - Not sure on this one. I always thought that the a and b versions were similar in toughnes, though others have said the b is much tougher.

Han Hoth and HRS I actually found particularly tough. Saw loads of 30a before I finally found 30b's for each character.

Lando - I have no idea. Picked up the b by chance and was not actively looking for him like I was for the above two

The remaining 5 are the tougher five so are hard pieces to find either a or b, so really hard to judge.

I think there are more b's floating around for Bossk (the first one I had was a b, which I sold when I got an a). I've only seen two bossks come up for public sale since 2005 (one Vectis and one eBay) and both were 30b. I know the vectis one has passed through the hands of several collectors. I have the eBay one.

I've only ever seen two IG88's come up for public sale, both Vectis and both were 30b. IG88 was also the last 30b I needed to complete that run.

Really not sure on WBG. I did think b was more common, but several new ones have turned up and I'm not sure which version they have been.

Same with the HST.

FX7 is also tricky to judge as so many have sold, but I think a lot have been the same figure passing from collector to collector, which can distort figures a bit. I did have 3 at one point and two of those were a. Can't remember what the recent vectis ones were.

Not sure if any of that helps much as like I said, it's just my experience. I stopped looking in 2010 and a lot has changed since then.

In terms of impact on price, logic would suggest that a would be more than b. A is the debut card and in general this is what most collectors go for. Consequently there would be more people going for an a rather than a b so greater demand = greater price, irrespective of rarity. That said in some cases people would be just glad to get any version of the card, so they are still hotly fought over. This would be true of the tougher ones.

Luke and Leia are the odd exception. They both have a different card design, whereas all the others just have a different logo size. If this is appealing to variant collectors then, if the cards are truly rare (as is definitely the case with the Luke) that could swing value in favour of the b. However I've seen a sell for far more than b in the case of Luke many times. So who knows!

I clearly don't :p

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Well that more or less covers it.

From my experience I will say the Bespin Guard is tougher on B as is the FX-7 but I guess they r both more desirable on A-being the debut. But as Gary says what with both being tough most collectors r happy to own an A or B :!: Esp regarding the Bossk and IG-88 :!: :!:

Regarding the Leia Bespin I have seen a fair few more A's than B's but I have seen a few B's so defo not as tough as the Luke Bespin B :!:

So which set of the first 10 is tougher overall A or B :?: I am going to say B because the more gettable A cards r not so on B and the Luke Bes B is so tough :!: I personally haven't managed either so did it with a combo of 7A and 3B :cry: :lol:

Credit to Gary for doing both 8)

maxf

Jedi Master
I think B backs are maybe more sought after - perversely. Certainly if I had the choice, I'd go for all B's - all of the logos are the same size, and also match the 12bk size. Way cooler IMO. In all likelihood, most people arent bothered though.

sith-smith

Grand Master
You could be right Max, though I think the appeal of debut is probably more than the logo size.

But you never know, people do focus on different things.

As to which logo size is better...

Attachments

• 30ab cropped.jpg
    30ab cropped.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 667
  • 30 back 1 crop.jpg
    30 back 1 crop.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 668

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
Well from a point of view of a Palitoy logo, the bigger the better :!: So I can understand u'r preference Max.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
sith-smith said:
You could be right Max, though I think the appeal of debut is probably more than the logo size.

But you never know, people do focus on different things.

As to which logo size is better...

Now those are two pictures I'll never tire of looking at! :-D

Just magnificent!!!

sith-smith

Grand Master
Definitely a cool run to complete, and the b set was largely by chance!

When I first started on 30 backs I didn't really fully grasp the a/b variation.

I would be surprised if I'm the first/only person to have done this. There's certainly enough known of each card for both sets to be done again.

I just wonder if anyone else would have been bothered to do it!

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
maxf said:
I think B backs are maybe more sought after - perversely. Certainly if I had the choice, I'd go for all B's - all of the logos are the same size, and also match the 12bk size. Way cooler IMO. In all likelihood, most people arent bothered though.

Hi

When you say all the logos are the same size in B's does that mean that the logos are different sizes in A's?

Thanks for your help.

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Hi

Thanks for the detailed responses to my questions and the fantastic pictures of part of Gary's 30 Back collection. I am sure the whole Palitoy collection must be mind blowing.

Thanks for sharing

Anthony

sith-smith

Grand Master
If I understand your question correctly, he's referring to the fact that all the 20 ESB characters on 30 backs have the same size logo if you get them all on 30b.

There is a size difference between a and b (see picture a few posts ago) but all 30a's have the same size logo as each other.

Apologies if I completely misunderstood your question.

all this a and b stuff gets confusing. At least there isn't a c version!

sith-smith

Grand Master
No

The first 10 are on a and b

The second set are just on b

Which is a relief as i'd have hated having to track down two versions of Fett and Yoda!

The first set of ten were hard enough

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
Hi

Am I correct in thinking that all 12 and 20 back figures that got released on a 30 back card were only ever released on a 30 back B card?

Have any carded figures or card backs of the first 20 figures been found on a 30 Back A card?

Thanks for your help.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom