12 back questions

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thinking about the 21 back that Nicky put together I was wondering what would be the cost of the first 12 on good cards, be it Palitoy or Kenner, today?
I know that this is a subjective question, but would be intrested the views of the members on here, with your wealth of knowledge and experience.
Can anyone give me a list of average costs or direct me to a website that is upto date with these?
Are there any that are more difficult to get than others?
Lots of questions, looking forward to your views.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I don't no about Palitoy 12 backs but Kenner ones I reckon you need about £10k to put a half decent full run together.

If your thinking mint as in C9 or graded 80 or 85 then double that.

It's the major caractor's that push the price up. :shock:

coomber75

Sith Lord
im only a few in and its cost me quite a bit im thinking the full 12 ir I bide my time... 7-8 k..... :eek: just typed that and realised im.spending way toomuch on star wars :lol:

Palifan

Sith Lord
You could always go for a set like this (it'll make your eyes water!) - http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1096824

Ian

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
A full set of Palitoy first 12 would set you back between £20 and £25k !!

Ben , Chewie and Luke are the big hitters costing about £12 k for just them !!

maxf

Jedi Master
You can do a Kenner set for about £3k if you're not fussy on condition - if you want c8.5 or better (say all afa80) then £8-10k is probably more like it.

Palitoys cost more. £15k is about the starting point for a set in any condition. £25k if you're after mint figures.

Prices have dropped off a bit since last year!

sith-smith

Grand Master
It's shocking really. I know certainly with Palitoy it's definitely more a case of increased popularity/demand than rarity as the numbers known to exist are considerably greater than early 2000, when it was deemed almost impossible to put a set together but if achieved, the entire 20 would be under 10k!

maxf

Jedi Master
I think with a bit of luck and not being super condition focussed you could still do a set of 12 for less than £1k per figure average.

You should get stormtrooper, DSC, tusken raider and c3po for £500 - £600 each - with some patience and flexibility on condition. R2 should still be under £1k and Vader could be around £1k too. So that leaves han, leia, jawa, ben, luke and chewie which will all be comfortably over £1k each - luke, chewie, ben will all over over £2k.

A few sell quite cheaply still and you can bide your time on the expensive 4 or 5.

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
Glad my run inspired this post !

Well given I just completed, I went back over my records to work out the cost over the last 2 years.

My 1st 12 - comprised of 5 12A, 3 12B and 4 12C. My only dead set rule on condition was a fully sealed bubble. Condition ranges from a couple with missing pops, dented bubbles right up to AFA/UKG 80 grades, the R2 is an SKU footer as well. Total cost - £4173.

Cheapest card was Ben at £50 ! Most expensive was my AFA60 Luke - £610. I think Max is probably right at £8-10K if chasing AFA80 type grades on all 12.

fyi - The full set of 1st 21, again condition ranging similar, cost in total £7200. As I mentioned in my run post though - I got very lucky on the Boba Fett.

Hope that is of some use.

Nicky

reddogblues

Padawan
I am currently also working towards first 12 on SW cards. So, that means I accept first 12 on 20/21 backs - as their 12 back equivalents are just too pricey. So, as you can see from the pic of my 7, Luke and Jawa are on 20 back cards. These have all been acquired in the last year.

I have some of varying quality - Ben is AFA 75, Darth has a small crack in the bubble etc. But, I have not paid more than £700 for any one figure. I can't see me ever paying over £1,000 for one, so keep an eye out for bargains and sometimes have to accept the major characters will have to have some type of flaw (Darth being an example).

So - in total for my 7 that you see the average cost has been £439 - which I think is pretty good considering I have a Palitoy in there, Luke, Leia, Darth etc :) So if I could carry on at the same average, it will have cost me £5,268.

File_001(3).jpeg

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
I was the same as you buddy - have to accept some flaws. My Darth, Chewie and Han are big time beaters. I like to say they have "Character" :lol:

I should also add on my pricing that the totals are at todays rate in our wonderful post brexit world. As many were bought from the US

reddogblues

Padawan
Yeah, agree - much as I would love a mint Han on 12 back Palitoy, it just isn't going to happen :) So when I go for Han, I know it will have to be one with some sort of flaw, unless I get very lucky.

My average is the exact price I paid and as mentioned, all within the past year. Not bought any from US as too afraid of import duty, but have got some from EU.

For idea on current values etc I use this: https://www.starwarstracker.com/

It's not perfect, as for example you can only get averages for "graded" figures, but while there will be a huge difference between an 85 and a 30, it doesn't take this into account. However, it is really good at seeing recent sold prices to give you an idea :)

RifleSmile

Jedi Knight
Exactly the same tool as I use.

Most of the good US sellers on the FB groups will keep you right when marking down value to avoid import tax. As long as you use good tracking all will be good!

sith-smith

Grand Master
maxf said:
I think with a bit of luck and not being super condition focussed you could still do a set of 12 for less than £1k per figure average.

You should get stormtrooper, DSC, tusken raider and c3po for £500 - £600 each - with some patience and flexibility on condition. R2 should still be under £1k and Vader could be around £1k too. So that leaves han, leia, jawa, ben, luke and chewie which will all be comfortably over £1k each - luke, chewie, ben will all over over £2k.

A few sell quite cheaply still and you can bide your time on the expensive 4 or 5.

That's probably true, though the Jawa still shocks me. I think that one will change back. There must just currently be a lot of people looking for and it only takes a few wealthy collectors to go all out for one and then suddenly the status of a figure changes and the average price suddenly rises. Sadly the other 5 have always been pricey and despite changes in availability the price has always been considerably higher on average the the other 7.

Most things with patience can be achieved. How much patience is a different matter. Lots of people start and then sell up if, after a year or two, they are still missing the same figures. I've got a few different focusses and sometimes it's been 2-3 years without adding anything to them. Hell, there are some things I've been trying to hunt down to complete sets for 15 years and still no luck. If you can hang in there and see it as a long goal, it can be done for a lot less money.

reddogblues

Padawan
RifleSmile said:
Exactly the same tool as I use.

Most of the good US sellers on the FB groups will keep you right when marking down value to avoid import tax. As long as you use good tracking all will be good!

Oh great, thanks, mate - you have just got rid of an excuse I had for not buying more :lol: Now you have opened up a whole new market for me!

But you are right, just need to find the seller willing to put low value on the customs form. I did once buy an MOC from Australia and the seller forgot to put any value. So it was held at the customs office and I just said it was a very cheap toy and worth about £20 - and it worked! That was CZ though, where there exists very little knowledge of value of vintage SW!

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks for all the great advice and guides to each figures average costs.
I think that the best piece of advice I have gained from all the posts is patience, anyone can throw a load of money at obtaining an instant collection, but where is the fun in that. :?
I have always enjoyed slowly building a collection, and anyway collecting shouldn't be instant if it was it wouldn't be collecting.
Many thanks for the valuations, I will keep these in mind as I look, I think that expanding to 20 backs is a great idea so will also keep this in mind, and will need to accept that they will not all be 100%, especially the big hitters.
And thanks :?: Andy for changing my focus...
That set on Rebel scum is incredible, worth an absolute fortune now, and always will be. :shock:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
reddogblues said:
Yeah, agree - much as I would love a mint Han on 12 back Palitoy, it just isn't going to happen :) So when I go for Han, I know it will have to be one with some sort of flaw, unless I get very lucky.

My average is the exact price I paid and as mentioned, all within the past year. Not bought any from US as too afraid of import duty, but have got some from EU.

It's not perfect, as for example you can only get averages for "graded" figures, but while there will be a huge difference between an 85 and a 30, it doesn't take this into account. However, it is really good at seeing recent sold prices to give you an idea :)

How much is this tracker to join, can't seem to find this information anywhere.
Thanks

reddogblues

Padawan
Mini99 said:
reddogblues said:

How much is this tracker to join, can't seem to find this information anywhere.
Thanks

I think there is a month free period. After that about £3-£4 per month, but you can cancel any time

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom