grading

CaptainAntilles

Padawan
i have no interest in grading my figures or buying graded stuff but out of curiosity how much does it cost to have a figure graded by the AFA ?

Lindo

Sith Lord
you can check at actionfigureauthority but you have to keep in mind the shipping costs there and back also

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Not sure about UKG.

But for AFA Vintage MOC about £30, vintage loose about £20 not including postage that's just grading.

Anything with a value of $200 pr more add on another 30% for Someone who knows what there talking about to look at it. That is pretty much 90% of stuff now! :lol:

Exchange rate pending. :lol:

Bunglebubs

Jedi Knight
UKG prices are about the same but they don't add on an extra % just because it is worth more. That is quite shocking if AFA do that though :eek:

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Bunglebubs said:
UKG prices are about the same but they don't add on an extra % just because it is worth more. That is quite shocking if AFA do that though :eek:

Just lazy greed by a lazy, greedy business. CGC do the same for comics. There is no genuine reason for them doing this (You grade a Palitoy Klaatu the same way you grade a Meccano Fett) other than the fact they know by grading an expensive piece you're going to make more money on it if/when you sell it so they want a slice of it.

lejackal

Grand Master
ScruffyLookingNH said:
CGC do the same for comics. There is no genuine reason for them doing this (You grade a Palitoy Klaatu the same way you grade a Meccano Fett) other than the fact they know by grading an expensive piece you're going to make more money on it if/when you sell it so they want a slice of it.
I found this out when I enquired about having a couple of comics graded as this appears to be the only way to get them cased up (nothing of any monetary value, just sentimental) but they basically wouldn't confirm that that there would be a flat cost :twisted:

maxf

Jedi Master
Don't AFA do it because they self insure the package being sent back? So a $20,000 item has way more risk than a $100, when the figure pops out of the bubble.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
maxf said:
Don't AFA do it because they self insure the package being sent back? So a $20,000 item has way more risk than a $100, when the figure pops out of the bubble.

That and also to go through extra checks as the more expensive stuff has a higher risk of being faked.

If someone sends in a 77 back Klaatu and a 12 back VCJ they will spend more time authenticating the Jawa.

When you look at how much grading costs I can't help but wander how much it's driven up prices over the last 10 years. :?

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
maxf said:

the shipping insurance is calculated separately based on value as a separate charge from the grading, which is also calculated based on value. Double dip much? :D

maxf

Jedi Master
Ross_Barr said:
maxf said:

the shipping insurance is calculated separately based on value as a separate charge from the grading, which is also calculated based on value. Double dip much? :D

Ah, I didnt realise that! It's years since I last used them!

pmsbull

Jedi Master
theguiltyone said:
Zero need for anyone in the UK to use AFA when UKG do a good job.

I don't currently own any graded items as I sold them all, putting the cash into production used paperwork and pre-production document items.

However, I found that UKG grade FAR stricter and IMO more accurately than AFA, so IMO should in fact fetch a HIGHER price, whereas the reverse is curently the case.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom