Customs Help!

boba76

Padawan
I have recently purchased an item from the states . This morning I received a four page document from Parcel Force in relation to customs (notice of arrival of goods). They want me to tell them the cost of the item , provide proof of purchase etc etc .

This is the first time I have received anything like this despite buying quite a bit from the US. I have previously had to pay fees to release items but never had anything like this..

Is this a new thing or have people had the same experience? I don't particularly want to send any bank details etc to these guys just to prove a worth of a vintage toy.

Cheers

lejackal

Grand Master
Show them a receipt for a £20 item instead?

No idea mate but interested to see the outcome.

maxf

Jedi Master
Is the value listed as low or is it all above board?

If it's just them being nosy, then just send them the invoice/paypal page and be done with it. If you've declared a $1000 item as an $18 gift you might have to come clean!

boba76

Padawan
not sure what the seller has documented the item price wise or gift etc . I just sent a message to them so I will see what they say.

plantman

Sith Lord
tricky one, if the seller has marked it lower than actual value then you either have to continue the lie and provide false value of proof/sale or just come clean with the invoice from the actual purchase and take the tax hit :(

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Most important thing is to state the item qualifies as 'Old Collectable Toy' HMRC code 9705000090 and should be charged at only 5% VAT.

(edit, I am presuming the item is vintage)

jayums

Jedi Master
Agreed. Tell them nothing!!

If the seller had told them the value of the item they wouldn't be asking you for the info.
= They know nothing and want you to do their job for them.

jayums

Jedi Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Most important thing is to state the item qualifies as 'Old Collectable Toy' HMRC code 9705000090 and should be charged at only 5% VAT.

Yep, but 5% of what ?!

OP - They don't know the value of the item as otherwise you'd be receiving a bill from them instead. If push comes to shove declare it as a toy sample and that you paid under a tenner for it. They can't proove otherwise.

Leemcl

Jedi Master
Wow. What a crock of **** !

Firstly, in theory how do you know what someone else sent to you ? It could be anything. How on earth could you know 100% what it is they have ?

Secondly, even if you did know what the item is, how can you determine the retail value of something ? When sold retail it might have been £1.59. It might have been £3000 who knows ? What you pay is not the legal commercial value of the item !

These officious c#nts make me so angry. They are doing this just for the revenue. Not for any moral reasons

maxf

Jedi Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:

Exactly! I've posted this before too. All my items come insured now, I pay the customs charge then get a cheque back for the vast majority of it a few weeks after requesting it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom