Do these sabres look ok?

Armand78

Padawan
Got these on eBay - paid slightly over the odds but not too bad I guess.

Both float - the one on the right has a rough texture but seems to match v3 on TIG. It's hard to be conclusive with these things but any opinions welcome.

Is there any other method of verifying? I heard someone mention uv light?

Attachments

• IMG_8247.JPG
    IMG_8247.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 808

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
These repro sabers are getting harder and harder to tell from legit ones definitely without having them in hand , I can't really tell by the pictures .
My advise in future is try and buy lettered sabers as to my knowledge these haven't been reproduced yet?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Uv light works for me, some original sabers sinks others floats that is what I have heard. some of my sabers sinks and others floats. But I have never
checked if all my childhood sabers sinks or floats, maybe I should do that :?

UV light does not cost that much, buy a flashlight with uv light or a blue light bulb for your lamp :wink:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Cardbackkid said:
These repro sabers are getting harder and harder to tell from legit ones definitely without having them in hand , I can't really tell by the pictures .
My advise in future is try and buy lettered sabers as to my knowledge these haven't been reproduced yet?

They make them as dt sabers with letters on them, where they melt broken original sabers and make new dt sabers out of the old plastic.
I am not sure but maybe they also make melted sabers with letters :?

Robstyley

Sith Lord
They look ok to me in terms of shape and colour. Hard to tell without having in hand. Best way to check weapons in my opinion is compare them against ones that are known to be genuine - on a MOC or owned by someone else. Can't go weong :wink:

Armand78

Padawan
I have sabres of my own to which they compare favourabley with but it's so difficult to be 100% sure. I'll try the uv approach also.

Never had a rough texture one though but colour size and shape all seem good.

Thanks all.

M4K3R1

Padawan
Just a heads up guys, the UV light test is a cool little trick, but does not help with repro from original.
Originals will glow, SAME as some repros will glow under UV.
If your flat tip Luke saber (the one on the top in photo) has a texture to it then it is more than likely a repro, sorry to say.
The tip on your flat tip also looks a lot like this 90's textured repro. They made this same saber from the same mold in all 3 colours.
First photo below shows the texture.
REPRO Flat tip texture and circles-1.jpg

Second photo shows the tip, has a lump/defect in this area.
REPRO Flat tip circles and texture.JPG

Third photo is the whole saber, yours looks a match to this
REPRO Flat tip with texture and circles-.JPG

Armand78

Padawan
Hi,

thanks for this. This is really good info. I will check when I get home again this evening. But my gut feeling is your analysis is correct.

One further note of caution, I noticed from another thread that a certain marsking was the seller of this sabre (both in fact). Not sure if this was unwittingly passed on to me.

I didn't realize who marsking actually was!! Think I also bought a molded face luke off him last month with a Jedi cloak still in the green sleeve.

Armand78

Padawan
Meant to ask, M4K3R1, where did you get those screen shots from above? I never saw those sorts of detailed ones on TIG, at least I didnt't notice.

Thanks again.

Armand.

M4K3R1

Padawan
Just had a look at marsking completed listings, and the version 3 is this repro.
You can see the texture in his photos, and the tip area defect.
Marsking photos below
marsking.jpg

marsking1.jpg

For some reason TIG still has this listed as Version 3, but needs to be updated
This textured saber has never been found on MOC in any Luke, Vader or Ben MOC
It was openly sold on ebay by the dozens up until 2010.

M4K3R1

Padawan
Armand78 said:
Meant to ask, M4K3R1, where did you get those screen shots from above? I never saw those sorts of detailed ones on TIG, at least I didnt't notice.

Thanks again.

Armand.

They are some photos I took a while ago, and have them ready to show when needed.

Armand78

Padawan
Thanks for this, that was really confusing me about the v3 on TIG. As it did seem to be a match.

I can get my money back on this one. Really appreciate the help!!

Thanks again,

Armand.

Armand78

Padawan
Yep, thanks all, I am going to contact TIG (John Paul Ragusa) to get his thoughts. These little investigations sure keep things interesting!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom