Header image

Why is prices going up ?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Why is prices going up ?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:58 pm

I just thought of another point, popularity of a franchise can also depend on how a film dates. Some films date well and are still as enjoyable today as when they were first made e.g. Jaws, Preadator, Alien, T2 and of course Star Wars IMO. There is still a chance future generations will want to collect what we collect if they see the old films and like them or am I just clutching at straws?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:04 pm

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:This is a very uplifting thread especially to a new collector who has just spent a lot of money on 12, 20 and 30 backs in the last two months, I do hope they don't become worthless overnight :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reckon you'll be alright with those - very iconic!

If i was an investor I think I'd be selling up in the next couple of years, prices will almost certainly rise beyond two years but after that it starts getting risky.

Saying that, I knew a man who sold his house in Oxford in 2003 as he thought the housing bubble would burst the next year. I think his house went up by 33% in that time - non-one can predict anything :lol:
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:42 pm

spoons wrote:
Wreck-It Ralph wrote:This is a very uplifting thread especially to a new collector who has just spent a lot of money on 12, 20 and 30 backs in the last two months, I do hope they don't become worthless overnight :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reckon you'll be alright with those - very iconic!

If i was an investor I think I'd be selling up in the next couple of years, prices will almost certainly rise beyond two years but after that it starts getting risky.

Saying that, I knew a man who sold his house in Oxford in 2003 as he thought the housing bubble would burst the next year. I think his house went up by 33% in that time - non-one can predict anything :lol:

With a bit of luck some collectors/investors wil read this thread, shit themselves and sell their collections that way I can finish my 12 back and 20 back run. Keep the negativity coming and don't mention that guy in Oxford again :lol: :lol:

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Lom
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Lom » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:55 am

Absolute insanity and too much money I think - I was watching this very nice but common carded AT-AT Driver on eBay...

Forty something bids later it's gone for over £420... For a 65 back Jedi carded figure!!?? And bidding history shows that 5 different people thought it was worth more than $300; 3 different people thought it was worth more than $400.

As Grant said recently on another thread - if we were sensible, we'd sell our mocs now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122379745767
Sith happens.....

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Yeah on the bright side most of us are sat on a small fortune, even if you just have a loose beater set. :)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby tiefighterboy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Between weaponless average Leia's going for a £100 and now I see basically groups of like 3 played with figures (paint ware and saber tips broken) from the first 12 going for £120, and people jumping at it like it's a bargain...this has me scratching my head and wondering two things...Why am I still in this hobby? and Why have I not sold up to all these morons yet?

Of course the majority of these prices are found on that one social network site..................Oh...wait we have a separate thread for that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

stormcab
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby stormcab » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Lom wrote:Absolute insanity and too much money I think - I was watching this very nice but common carded AT-AT Driver on eBay...

Forty something bids later it's gone for over £420... For a 65 back Jedi carded figure!!?? And bidding history shows that 5 different people thought it was worth more than $300; 3 different people thought it was worth more than $400.

As Grant said recently on another thread - if we were sensible, we'd sell our mocs now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122379745767

Yep was watching that myself, as you may remember he is a little focus I have. Rocketed in the last few seconds which was clearly the result of snipers. Lots of ROTJ AT-AT drivers about, so clearly people are after clear bubbles and high grades.

kvavik
Regular
Regular

Postby kvavik » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:23 am

Prices for loose seems to be going up, as more collectors come, the first thing they want is a loose set. We've to wait ned see if some of these will go into MOC collecting.

I've seen prices on some speciallty items drop as much as 50% in the last years. When prices reach 4 digits, there is a lot less collectors. We've also seen a drop in prices on items like Palitoy Luke Bespin 30 back and Chewie 12 back. Much because of the Toystore find. But this was not a lot of items, when we think about the numbers of loose that comes to marked every week. We're talking about 8-24 new items hitting the marked, which means a Luke Bespin went from £3-4k to £700.

maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby maxf » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:34 am

kvavik wrote:
I've seen prices on some speciallty items drop as much as 50% in the last years. When prices reach 4 digits, there is a lot less collectors. We've also seen a drop in prices on items like Palitoy Luke Bespin 30 back and Chewie 12 back. Much because of the Toystore find. But this was not a lot of items, when we think about the numbers of loose that comes to marked every week. We're talking about 8-24 new items hitting the marked, which means a Luke Bespin went from £3-4k to £700.

I'm not sure a 30a Luke Bespin was ever £3-4k consistently? Perhaps one AFA 85 fetched that, but most were around £1500 or even lower. The 30b would have fetched that.

Chewie definitely dipped, but supply has dried up and again it's a tough card to find - I've had offers for mine which were higher than the price I paid a couple of years ago, which I assumed I'd never get my money back on.
Detailed WTB list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243

Includes: Loose figures, Palitoy MOCs, Meccano 20bks, Vehicles, Mailers, Paperwork and more.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:49 am

I would still not sell anything from my collection if the prices is going more up than they are today, I do not see it as an investmen, I only collect because of the fun, the hunt, for the memories of my childhood, because I think star wars is something special and for the community :D

But it is not as funny to collect today than it was some years ago when the items was cheaper.

plantainman
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby plantainman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:08 pm

Problems will arise soon though. I see them cropping up already.

Joe bloggs who buys X Variants for £125 on FB falls out of love with it a month later and lists it for 'buy it now' £150. A few days later with no inquiries, Joe bloggs adds "OBO, Just want near what I paid last month of £125".

no-one has the heart to tell Joe bloggs he paid £125 for a £30-40 variant and will never see that dead money again.

There's going to be a lot of dead money in this hobby over the coming years as newer, less informed collectors try to recoup 'what they paid' for their items from knowledgeable collectors, who simply will never pay those prices.

The argument "that's what I paid for it so it must be worth that on resale" will sadly bite many a noob, which will also have a knock-on effect for experienced collectors, because if people can't afford or don't want to sell, then a vortex within the community will appear.

Anyone still remembering the last housing market crash?
*** SWFUK FEEDBACK *** COO VARIANTS by Plantainman (thread link) *** LIMELIGHT (coming soon, yeah right) ***

Darth Bobby
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Darth Bobby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:20 pm

I think the key is not to panic. If it takes 40 years to complete your collection well so be it. I agree that many people will get bored after the initial nostalgia hit and just want their money back. In a way it's a positive thing. So much stuff has been unearthed and sold on instead of being binned. The price rises are ugly but there's more and more stuff coming out everyday. Plus there are bargains still out there to be had. That's the fun and challenging part! Don't let it get you down.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:11 pm

plantainman wrote:Problems will arise soon though. I see them cropping up already.

Joe bloggs who buys X Variants for £125 on FB falls out of love with it a month later and lists it for 'buy it now' £150. A few days later with no inquiries, Joe bloggs adds "OBO, Just want near what I paid last month of £125".

no-one has the heart to tell Joe bloggs he paid £125 for a £30-40 variant and will never see that dead money again.

There's going to be a lot of dead money in this hobby over the coming years as newer, less informed collectors try to recoup 'what they paid' for their items from knowledgeable collectors, who simply will never pay those prices.

The argument "that's what I paid for it so it must be worth that on resale" will sadly bite many a noob, which will also have a knock-on effect for experienced collectors, because if people can't afford or don't want to sell, then a vortex within the community will appear.

Anyone still remembering the last housing market crash?

I am a new collector and out of choice I would rather not be paying the prices I am paying but find it impossible to acquire the pieces I need unless I pay the market price. Although I am not collecting to make money I would hope the pieces I buy at least retain thier value as if they do not and we are indeed in some sort of bubble then I would have to agree that we could see a rapid decline in collecting popularity as nobody wants to loose money and once bitten twice shy!

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”