Header image

Why is prices going up ?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Why is prices going up ?

Postby Pomse2001 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Why is prices going up and up on the vintage star wars ?

Is there many more collectors than a few years ago ?

I was also thinking, that we still find childhood lots so there should be more and more star wars on the market. But still prices is going up and up.
So what is going on, is it because there is coming more collectors than we find childhood lots or is there some big guys out there buying and buying just to sell later and make a big profit ? :?

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Why is prices going up ?

Postby Robstyley » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:52 pm

This has already been discussed many times. I think the cunclusion reached and main reasons are - your second sentence, massive increase in numbers of people collecting, and, explosion/increase in selling platforms on the the net, i.e facebook. It seems to be the "in" hobby for 30-50 year old males at the moment, I estimate there are 10 times the amount of people actively collecting Vintage Star Wars than there were 10-15 years ago. Supply and demand my friend :wink:

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:00 pm

I'm seeing average/beater lots going for monumental amounts recently. Stuff that 2 years ago you couldn't give away are now being fouhgt over tooth and nail.

One lot I saw on eaby last night ended up selling for an eye watering amount - 6 months ago it would have been £300 max, it sold for nearly £700.

I think we're likely to see this more and more but like the property market a few years ago, this kind of madness is unsustainable.

ChallengerFox
Regular
Regular

Postby ChallengerFox » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:05 pm

I think the new films has a lot to do with it also

I'm glad I put together my full(almost) loose collection years ago, I wouldn't fancy buying all the last 17 etc again at the current prices.

It's frustrating though as I still need a lot of boxed vehicles but I just can't convince myself to pay those kind of prices as I need stuff like the Sandcrawler and Tatooine Skiff.

Dublinjeff
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Dublinjeff » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:09 pm

ChallengerFox wrote:It's frustrating though as I still need a lot of boxed vehicles but I just can't convince myself to pay those kind of prices as I need stuff like the Sandcrawler and Tatooine Skiff.

It's funny, that's the main reason I've now gone down the road of Boxed items...I still can find bits and pieces at fairly reasonable prices to keep the collecting buzz going. I took a bit of a break for a while and have only started back, but if you are patient you can get some lovely boxed ships and figures for a fraction of the cost of some loose now....
When I think of the LFB focus I had and see what price loose Lukes command now :o
You can buy a boxed Troop Transport, mini rigs, X Wings etc for the price of a mint loose figure!
I suppose the interest in the whole SW franchise has been reinvigorated with the new movies, and definitely the increase in FB pages trading vintage star wars has added to the demand.
Happy out now with the loose beater set I completed for the little one along with all her vehicles....
Now, onto trying to find a decent price, boxed Wampa
:lol:
Looking for Toltoys/Harbert Boxed Landspeeder....

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Dublinjeff wrote:
ChallengerFox wrote:It's frustrating though as I still need a lot of boxed vehicles but I just can't convince myself to pay those kind of prices as I need stuff like the Sandcrawler and Tatooine Skiff.

It's funny, that's the main reason I've now gone down the road of Boxed items...I still can find bits and pieces at fairly reasonable prices to keep the collecting buzz going. I took a bit of a break for a while and have only started back, but if you are patient you can get some lovely boxed ships and figures for a fraction of the cost of some loose now....
When I think of the LFB focus I had and see what price loose Lukes command now :o
You can buy a boxed Troop Transport, mini rigs, X Wings etc for the price of a mint loose figure!
I suppose the interest in the whole SW franchise has been reinvigorated with the new movies, and definitely the increase in FB pages trading vintage star wars has added to the demand.
Happy out now with the loose beater set I completed for the little one along with all her vehicles....

I'm thinking that there are a lot of new collectors finishing off loose runs right now, and once they're done they are going to want to move on to... boxed? Could be a good time to buy boxed now before they really start going up - the calm before the storm.

CaptainAntilles
Regular
Regular

Postby CaptainAntilles » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:41 pm

ebay is just mental , i was bidding on a loose Death star droid the other day it ended up going for £80 . a loose solid dome R2 that ended up nearly £60 - is that the going rate for these now ?

on the other hand im finding lots of little gems at the local car boot sales , got a mint stormie and biker scout for £2 each today . small head han solo for £3 the other week , greedo for a pound to name but a few
I met him in a swamp down in Dagoba
Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda
S-O-D-A, soda

I saw the little runt sitting there on a log
I asked him his name and in a raspy voice he said "yoda"
Y-O-D-A, Yoda
yo yo yo yoda

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:09 pm

Bonsai_Tree_Ent wrote:
Dublinjeff wrote:

I'm thinking that there are a lot of new collectors finishing off loose runs right now, and once they're done they are going to want to move on to... boxed? Could be a good time to buy boxed now before they really start going up - the calm before the storm.

Maybe I should begin to look after the last 2 boxes that I need before my box collection is complete if that will soon the the new focus for many collectors :shock:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Looks like it is not enough that we find childhood lots so there is more on the market. There must be a lot of hungry guys out there since prices is going up and up :shock:

But with the millions of figures and vehicles there was made then it is hard to understand how there is less and less on the market and the prices is going up and up.

How many collectors do you guys think there is out there today ?

indianawars
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby indianawars » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:24 pm

I think the main problem is there are too many part time wannabe dealers refreshing eBay every 5 seconds, not allowing real collectors to buy something for a fair price. A week later they flip it for a heavy marked up price to a newbie with more money than sense and knowledge...

CaptainAntilles
Regular
Regular

Postby CaptainAntilles » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:36 pm

it seems to be loose figures that are going up the most , i got a luke poncho moc for £100 , i went to look for a loose 1 and theyre going for £130 - £140 on ebay , also got a romba moc for £70 and im seeing loose rombas at £75 - £85 .
I met him in a swamp down in Dagoba
Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda
S-O-D-A, soda

I saw the little runt sitting there on a log
I asked him his name and in a raspy voice he said "yoda"
Y-O-D-A, Yoda
yo yo yo yoda

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:39 pm

CaptainAntilles wrote:it seems to be loose figures that are going up the most , i got a luke poncho moc for £100 , i went to look for a loose 1 and theyre going for £130 - £140 on ebay , also got a romba moc for £70 and im seeing loose rombas at £75 - £85 .

That is crazy if moc is cheaper than a loose :shock:

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
CaptainAntilles wrote:it seems to be loose figures that are going up the most , i got a luke poncho moc for £100 , i went to look for a loose 1 and theyre going for £130 - £140 on ebay , also got a romba moc for £70 and im seeing loose rombas at £75 - £85 .

That is crazy if moc is cheaper than a loose :shock:

And what will that inevitably lead to...?

Darth Satan
New User
New User

Postby Darth Satan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:24 pm

Bubbles are when you should cash in.

I've just sold a business because it's value was in an unsustainable bubble, but if somebody wants to pay that then it's their choice.

As Disney oversaturates the film market (Han Solo movie, I'm looking at YOU) interest levels will drop back again. I have enjoyed my loose collection for 25+ years and I've re-joined here to gauge interest and value levels with a view to selling up to be honest.

maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby maxf » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Darth Satan wrote:Bubbles are when you should cash in.

I've just sold a business because it's value was in an unsustainable bubble, but if somebody wants to pay that then it's their choice.

As Disney oversaturates the film market (Han Solo movie, I'm looking at YOU) interest levels will drop back again. I have enjoyed my loose collection for 25+ years and I've re-joined here to gauge interest and value levels with a view to selling up to be honest.

Early Spiderman comics are still worth a fortune and that's a franchise which has had a load of reboots and hasn't had anywhere near as much of an influence on pop culture, cinematography or even toys as Star Wars has.
Detailed WTB list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243

Includes: Loose figures, Palitoy MOCs, Meccano 20bks, Vehicles, Mailers, Paperwork and more.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”