Why is prices going up ?

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Why is prices going up and up on the vintage star wars ?

Is there many more collectors than a few years ago ?

I was also thinking, that we still find childhood lots so there should be more and more star wars on the market. But still prices is going up and up.
So what is going on, is it because there is coming more collectors than we find childhood lots or is there some big guys out there buying and buying just to sell later and make a big profit ? :?

Robstyley

Sith Lord
This has already been discussed many times. I think the cunclusion reached and main reasons are - your second sentence, massive increase in numbers of people collecting, and, explosion/increase in selling platforms on the the net, i.e facebook. It seems to be the "in" hobby for 30-50 year old males at the moment, I estimate there are 10 times the amount of people actively collecting Vintage Star Wars than there were 10-15 years ago. Supply and demand my friend :wink:

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
I'm seeing average/beater lots going for monumental amounts recently. Stuff that 2 years ago you couldn't give away are now being fouhgt over tooth and nail.

One lot I saw on eaby last night ended up selling for an eye watering amount - 6 months ago it would have been £300 max, it sold for nearly £700.

I think we're likely to see this more and more but like the property market a few years ago, this kind of madness is unsustainable.

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
I think the new films has a lot to do with it also

I'm glad I put together my full(almost) loose collection years ago, I wouldn't fancy buying all the last 17 etc again at the current prices.

It's frustrating though as I still need a lot of boxed vehicles but I just can't convince myself to pay those kind of prices as I need stuff like the Sandcrawler and Tatooine Skiff.

Dublinjeff

Grand Master
ChallengerFox said:
It's frustrating though as I still need a lot of boxed vehicles but I just can't convince myself to pay those kind of prices as I need stuff like the Sandcrawler and Tatooine Skiff.

It's funny, that's the main reason I've now gone down the road of Boxed items...I still can find bits and pieces at fairly reasonable prices to keep the collecting buzz going. I took a bit of a break for a while and have only started back, but if you are patient you can get some lovely boxed ships and figures for a fraction of the cost of some loose now....
When I think of the LFB focus I had and see what price loose Lukes command now :eek:
You can buy a boxed Troop Transport, mini rigs, X Wings etc for the price of a mint loose figure!
I suppose the interest in the whole SW franchise has been reinvigorated with the new movies, and definitely the increase in FB pages trading vintage star wars has added to the demand.
Happy out now with the loose beater set I completed for the little one along with all her vehicles....
Now, onto trying to find a decent price, boxed Wampa
:lol:

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Dublinjeff said:
ChallengerFox said:

It's funny, that's the main reason I've now gone down the road of Boxed items...I still can find bits and pieces at fairly reasonable prices to keep the collecting buzz going. I took a bit of a break for a while and have only started back, but if you are patient you can get some lovely boxed ships and figures for a fraction of the cost of some loose now....
When I think of the LFB focus I had and see what price loose Lukes command now :eek:
You can buy a boxed Troop Transport, mini rigs, X Wings etc for the price of a mint loose figure!
I suppose the interest in the whole SW franchise has been reinvigorated with the new movies, and definitely the increase in FB pages trading vintage star wars has added to the demand.
Happy out now with the loose beater set I completed for the little one along with all her vehicles....

I'm thinking that there are a lot of new collectors finishing off loose runs right now, and once they're done they are going to want to move on to... boxed? Could be a good time to buy boxed now before they really start going up - the calm before the storm.

CaptainAntilles

Padawan
ebay is just mental , i was bidding on a loose Death star droid the other day it ended up going for £80 . a loose solid dome R2 that ended up nearly £60 - is that the going rate for these now ?

on the other hand im finding lots of little gems at the local car boot sales , got a mint stormie and biker scout for £2 each today . small head han solo for £3 the other week , greedo for a pound to name but a few

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
Dublinjeff said:
ChallengerFox said:

I'm thinking that there are a lot of new collectors finishing off loose runs right now, and once they're done they are going to want to move on to... boxed? Could be a good time to buy boxed now before they really start going up - the calm before the storm.

Maybe I should begin to look after the last 2 boxes that I need before my box collection is complete if that will soon the the new focus for many collectors :shock:

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Looks like it is not enough that we find childhood lots so there is more on the market. There must be a lot of hungry guys out there since prices is going up and up :shock:

But with the millions of figures and vehicles there was made then it is hard to understand how there is less and less on the market and the prices is going up and up.

How many collectors do you guys think there is out there today ?

indianawars

Sith Lord
I think the main problem is there are too many part time wannabe dealers refreshing eBay every 5 seconds, not allowing real collectors to buy something for a fair price. A week later they flip it for a heavy marked up price to a newbie with more money than sense and knowledge...

CaptainAntilles

Padawan
it seems to be loose figures that are going up the most , i got a luke poncho moc for £100 , i went to look for a loose 1 and theyre going for £130 - £140 on ebay , also got a romba moc for £70 and im seeing loose rombas at £75 - £85 .

Pomse2001

Grand Master
CaptainAntilles said:
it seems to be loose figures that are going up the most , i got a luke poncho moc for £100 , i went to look for a loose 1 and theyre going for £130 - £140 on ebay , also got a romba moc for £70 and im seeing loose rombas at £75 - £85 .

That is crazy if moc is cheaper than a loose :shock:

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Pomse2001 said:
CaptainAntilles said:

And what will that inevitably lead to...?

Darth Satan

Youngling
Bubbles are when you should cash in.

I've just sold a business because it's value was in an unsustainable bubble, but if somebody wants to pay that then it's their choice.

As Disney oversaturates the film market (Han Solo movie, I'm looking at YOU) interest levels will drop back again. I have enjoyed my loose collection for 25+ years and I've re-joined here to gauge interest and value levels with a view to selling up to be honest.

maxf

Jedi Master
Darth Satan said:
Bubbles are when you should cash in.

I've just sold a business because it's value was in an unsustainable bubble, but if somebody wants to pay that then it's their choice.

As Disney oversaturates the film market (Han Solo movie, I'm looking at YOU) interest levels will drop back again. I have enjoyed my loose collection for 25+ years and I've re-joined here to gauge interest and value levels with a view to selling up to be honest.

Early Spiderman comics are still worth a fortune and that's a franchise which has had a load of reboots and hasn't had anywhere near as much of an influence on pop culture, cinematography or even toys as Star Wars has.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
SublevelStudios said:
Pomse2001 said:
CaptainAntilles said:

And what will that inevitably lead to...?

I do not hope some will open moc because they can earn more money on selling loose figures :(

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
CaptainAntilles said:

I just don't understand this...madness :shock:

Joe

Grand Master
Pomse2001 said:
Why is prices going up and up on the vintage star wars ?

I was also thinking, that we still find childhood lots so there should be more and more star wars on the market. But still prices is going up and up.

Maybe the people who are discovering all these childhood lots are just hoarding them and calling them variants? :lol: :lol:

Just having fun of course but it's true to say that at least in your case, none of the amazing loft finds you've made in recent years have ever made their way to the market because they are all in your collection :D

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Michael Sith said:
There going up because your buying all the variants Lars :lol:

Never thought about that, but you are maybe right. There are more variant collectors today, than some years ago :oops:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom