I am your father - documentary - David Prowse

Merrion

Padawan
I watched the documemtaty by chance and never realised that the man behind the mask of darth vader in a new hope and esb films was in the main snubbed for the rotj film.

Seems disgraceful how he was treated and to this day has never received an invitation to the official star wars conventions.

Surely the good folks of the star wars community should unite to address this wrong?

What if anything has been done to raise this other than the documentary.? Curious to hear your thoughts?

spoons

Grand Master
David Prowse really couldn't keep his mouth closed back in the day so has been snubbed ever since. A bit OTT in my opinion but understandable.

An olive branch from Disney would be a nice gesture as Dave really isn't getting any younger.

Merrion

Padawan
spoons said:
David Prowse really couldn't keep his mouth closed back in the day so has been snubbed ever since. A bit OTT in my opinion but understandable.

An olive branch from Disney would be a nice gesture as Dave really isn't getting any younger.

Was that really the case? The documenatry points to other ideas. I agree that Disney should extend an olive branch to him. Its not like the franchise has suffered as a result.

Merrion

Padawan
Grant_C said:
Perhaps Mr Prowse should refrain from saying he was happy when Richard Marquand died.

Ok. Was not aware of that. But then again emotions can over ride reason at times. Thats not to suggest he should have said it of course.

spoons

Grand Master
Merrion said:
spoons said:

Was that really the case? The documenatry points to other ideas. I agree that Disney should extend an olive branch to him. Its not like the franchise has suffered as a result.

It seems it really was the case and yes he did wish Richard M dead - listen to Rebel Force Radio

I read an old letters page in a 1978/9 SW Weekly where a young lad was citing Prowse even then as the source for Darth being Luke's dad.

Seems Lucas 'changed' the script after that so to muddy the waters. Dave really is a bitter old man but despite what he's done it would be nice to see him invited to the odd event.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
He told a convention audience that he he cheered, or was it stood and and clapped - I forget, when he heard Marquand died of cancer. Nice anecdotes for all the family.

However, I'm curious about his persistent claims that he hasn't seen a profit share he was offered for ESB and ROTJ. He claims Lucasfilm used clever accounting to look like that neither film made a profit. I've heard of this scam going on elsewhere in the industry but I've never heard it levelled at Lucasfilm by anyone else.

yoda

Sith Lord
I am also not familiar with this whole story. I must watch this documentary it sounds interesting.
He must be extremely bitter whatever has happened. That's not really a nice thing to do or say regarding Richard especially on his family.
So if I understand from what I am reading he was releasing information about ESB. Well if he did what was he expecting would happen. I presume he would have signed a contract not to talk.

Leemcl

Jedi Master
People say things, he's bitter. But then maybe had a reason to be bitter. Not that it would justify cheering a man's passing, that said I have had some bitter words in my time towards my bosses, words on reflection I regret.

I watched the film and felt for him overall and would dearly love to see the footage they filmed, there is a place in history for that. Also, there is a place in history for Sebastian Shaw's performance ( in full )

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
When I first watched it I thought how good it was, really showing how a film giant can control the world they deliver to their audience and how Prowse was beaten down and effectively silenced for something he never did...

However, having taken the time to watch it a second time its very clear that its really just a pro-Prowse propaganda vlog. It's a shame really, they had an opportunity to tell both sides of the story but failed. Claiming (or stating) that Lucas declined comment etc. is not an excuse at all, real documentary journalists would have either not completed/released the film as it only has one single angle with very little substance behind it or would have kept pushing to find the truth... or at the very least a few alternate versions of the truth.

I guess the Disney release schedule and the halo of cash it attracts was too big a draw for the filmmaker to resist so they preferred to release a part-baked effort that would cash in than actually delivering the job as advertsised...

Its a very one sided vehicle, an OK watch, but I think a little caution should be applied to what you see and hear.

subzero

Sith Lord
Wow, dark side on screen dark side in real life, he sounds like a bit of an arsehole tbh :lol:

It does sound like bitterness has got the best of him with age though saying that about someone dying in that way.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom