Brown Spots On Figures

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
Was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the brown spots that sometimes appear on figures and whether they can spread to other figures ? I've usually sold on these ones that have appeared in any lots I've bought just in case

The spots don't seem to wash off and only seem to be on Hong Kong COO's

Frunkstar

Grand Master
Mold,not sure if it can spread, but never taken the chance, if you do a search on here I did an experiment with oxi & peroxide, in short it did not work & eventually it comes back, it's deep within the plastics,I kept the figure isolated in a caravan, also a HK stormie, not worth taking the risk, then again I would also not sell them on as it's a little unethical unless it's clearly stated they are affected.

Frunkstar

Grand Master
edd_jedi said:
Or in some cases they are considered rare variants :roll:

Stupid People everywhere.jpg

Pomse2001

Grand Master
ChallengerFox said:
Was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the brown spots that sometimes appear on figures and whether they can spread to other figures ? I've usually sold on these ones that have appeared in any lots I've bought just in case

I have found a few childhood lots with a sick figure in the lot with brown spots. I am not 100% sure, but I think if 50 figures have been laying at the loft for 30 years together and only one figure have the spots then I do not think they spread to other figures. To me it also looks like it is the same variants of figures that get the spots.

I have a few of a kenobi variant and all I have of that variant have spots :(

the same with a bikerscout all I have found in different lots of that variant have the spots :(

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
ChallengerFox said:

I have found a few childhood lots with a sick figure in the lot with brown spots. I am not 100% sure, but I think if 50 figures have been laying at the loft for 30 years together and only one figure have the spots then I do not think they spread to other figures. To me it also looks like it is the same variants of figures that get the spots.

the same with a bikerscout all I have found in different lots of that variant have the spots :(

I agree. Whilst we cannot be sure, short of a forensic examination of the affected figures, I think it unlikely it will spread to other figures if it hasn't already, especially when groups of figures have been kept together for years.

What I have to keep reminding myself is that some of these figures are nearly 40 years old! Many are discolouring to a greater or lesser extent; find me a 1st issue Luke Bespin where the torso is still the same shade as the limbs. They probably exist, but they are few in number, even carded it seems. Also with Luke Bespin figures, several of mine have small bluish spots on them. Are these spots mold or further localised discolouration?

I'm no biochemist, plastics or fungal expert, but it seems to me that sooner or later an awful lot of these toys we hold so dear will degrade before our very eyes, however well we look after them. I had a Prune Face which had never seen the sun since I bought it and was pristine and unblemished when it went into my display cabinet 22 years ago. Yet recently when I had cause to remove it to examine the COO, I discovered to my horror that beneath his pristine tan cloak, his torso had completely yellowed. No other figures around it had discoloured, yet that one had changed from off-white to sick yellow with no UV, cigarette smoke, dirt, excessive moisture (I use dehumidifiers) or any other obvious abuse. Sometimes it seems the plastics simply degrade, so whether brown spots are indeed mold (it's possible, but I tend to think not) or simply degradation will remain an open question until someone pops an affected figure along to the lab and runs the tests.

It's also worth noting that all of us and everything that we own are surrounded and coated constantly by all manner of fungal spores. It's an inevitable consequence of existence on Earth. If the conditions for mold to grow are met, then it usually will, so if it's met for one figure in a batch of 50, why isn't it met for any of the other figures?

Just my 2 Galactic Credits worth :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:
ChallengerFox said:

I agree. Whilst we cannot be sure, short of a forensic examination of the affected figures, I think it unlikely it will spread to other figures if it hasn't already, especially when groups of figures have been kept together for years.

What I have to keep reminding myself is that some of these figures are nearly 40 years old! Many are discolouring to a greater or lesser extent; find me a 1st issue Luke Bespin where the torso is still the same shade as the limbs. They probably exist, but they are few in number, even carded it seems. Also with Luke Bespin figures, several of mine have small bluish spots on them. Are these spots mold or further localised discolouration?

I'm no biochemist, plastics or fungal expert, but it seems to me that sooner or later an awful lot of these toys we hold so dear will degrade before our very eyes, however well we look after them. I had a Prune Face which had never seen the sun since I bought it and was pristine and unblemished when it went into my display cabinet 22 years ago. Yet recently when I had cause to remove it to examine the COO, I discovered to my horror that beneath his pristine tan cloak, his torso had completely yellowed. No other figures around it had discoloured, yet that one had changed from off-white to sick yellow with no UV, cigarette smoke, dirt, excessive moisture (I use dehumidifiers) or any other obvious abuse. Sometimes it seems the plastics simply degrade, so whether brown spots are indeed mold (it's possible, but I tend to think not) or simply degradation will remain an open question until someone pops an affected figure along to the lab and runs the tests.

It's also worth noting that all of us and everything that we own are surrounded and coated constantly by all manner of fungal spores. It's an inevitable consequence of existence on Earth. If the conditions for mold to grow are met, then it usually will, so if it's met for one figure in a batch of 50, why isn't it met for any of the other figures?

I have heard some stories about the figures with the spots are made with a very bad plastic, just like som poch and pbp variants can be found again and again broken the same places, bad plastic and others maybe most of the figure, lucky us are made with not bad plastic.

That is just what I have heard.

sorry to read about your prune face :( this is the first time I have heard about a figure turning yellow and have not been around smoke, dirt, sun etc. etc. etc :shock:

Maybe it would be smart to start a thread where people can upload pictures of sick figures so we can see if it is the same type that can be found
with sick plastic again and again :?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Pomse2001 said:
Snaketibe said:
Pomse2001 said:

I have heard some stories about the figures with the spots are made with a very bad plastic, just like som poch and pbp variants can be found again and again broken the same places, bad plastic and others maybe most of the figure, lucky us are made with not bad plastic.

That is just what I have heard.

sorry to read about your prune face :( this is the first time I have heard about a figure turning yellow and have not been around smoke, dirt, sun etc. etc. etc :shock:

Maybe it would be smart to start a thread where people can upload pictures of sick figures so we can see if it is the same type that can be found
with sick plastic again and again :?
A good idea! Here it is: http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33016 :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom