Header image

Will I find many Palitoy MOC's at Celebration?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Sparky P
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Will I find many Palitoy MOC's at Celebration?

Postby Sparky P » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:32 pm

There was at least one of each 12 back on the Saturday and Sunday on stalls being ran by Nick, Darren and Mark Woolard /Jason Joiner as I recall. Can't remember if there was a power droid but recall seeing all the other 20 backs.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:22 pm

palitoyjunky wrote:There were a couple of 30 backs at Cel London but none of the real toughies-not on display anyway :lol:

Are you saying there were items for sale but not on display?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby wrighty » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:38 pm

Cheaper than Jawa! :D
Attachments
IMG_1217.PNG
IMG_1217.PNG (524.92 KiB) Viewed 104 times

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Is the general consensus that it is not worth going to Celebration Orlando if your sole purpose is to buy Palitoy 12,20 and 30 back figures?

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby wrighty » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:04 pm

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:Is the general consensus that it is not worth going to Celebration Orlando if your sole purpose is to buy Palitoy 12,20 and 30 back figures?

I don't think anyone goes to Celebration to buy specific items. You go to enjoy the atmosphere, meet your friends and have fun!! :lol:

MarkG
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby MarkG » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:37 pm

There was a fair few Palitoy items at Celebration Europe last year. Dave Tree had a stall with many on. Picked up a nice partially sealed 12bk Leia for a 'cheap' price... he had a fully sealed one for £4k. All where on display too.. mucho eye candy.
Wanted - Boxed Lili Ledy Speeder Bike

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:47 am

wrighty wrote:
Wreck-It Ralph wrote:Is the general consensus that it is not worth going to Celebration Orlando if your sole purpose is to buy Palitoy 12,20 and 30 back figures?

I don't think anyone goes to Celebration to buy specific items. You go to enjoy the atmosphere, meet your friends and have fun!! :lol:

I'm not sure he's collecting for fun :roll:

robpmarsh
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby robpmarsh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:08 am

Yeah....I'm not expecting to pick up anything specific in Orlando (but finding a Jedi carrycase to complete my set would be nice)

With regards to getting MOC's there I'd worry about getting thrm back in hand luggage let alone checked bags.

You might want to look into sending them back....i think there's still a Fedex on International Drive not too far from the event.

.....or maybe a nice Tractor Boy might be able to help 8)
Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold!

my Swfuk feedback: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21776

My Leia Hoth focus:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30198

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:40 am

lejackal wrote:
wrighty wrote:

I'm not sure he's collecting for fun :roll:

I would be going to specifically buy items to add to my collection as that is what I enjoy and that is fun to me, I dont have many friends on here as I have only just joined, I guess what I enjoy is different to some of the other members on here.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:44 am

robpmarsh wrote:Yeah....I'm not expecting to pick up anything specific in Orlando (but finding a Jedi carrycase to complete my set would be nice)

With regards to getting MOC's there I'd worry about getting thrm back in hand luggage let alone checked bags.

You might want to look into sending them back....i think there's still a Fedex on International Drive not too far from the event.

.....or maybe a nice Tractor Boy might be able to help 8)

Good point. If you can get them in your hand luggage is there any problem getting them through security at the airport?

maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby maxf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:45 am

Celebration isnt a vintage Star Wars event! Vintage is part of it, but it's all things star wars - from cosplay, to props, to fan art, to autographs, to tattoos and, of course, toys. Anybody going purely to pick up vintage toys, especially anything specific, will come away after a couple of hours wondering why they went. Go for Star Wars!
Looking for Palitoy mailers and MOCs...

Detailed WTB list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243

wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby wrighty » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:43 am

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:I would be going to specifically buy items to add to my collection as that is what I enjoy and that is fun to me, I dont have many friends on here as I have only just joined, I guess what I enjoy is different to some of the other members on here.

That's a long way to go to try pick something up that you will not 100% sure will be available. If buying is all you are interested in and not everything Star Wars, I would suggest saving your money on flight and hotels and just wait for items to come on the forums, FB and eBay. This game is for the long haul no short cuts even with tons of $$$$$!! 8)

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:51 am

I don't really see the sense in going solely to buy stuff. It will cost you $1000 to get there and stay at a hotel, so before you've bought anything at all you have already spent enough money to have bought one or maybe even two Palitoy MOCs.

And then you're paying a 50% premium on everything because things are always more expensive at events than they are online.

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:Are you saying there were items for sale but not on display?

This doesn't just apply to events, it's the same on forums and Facebook. That is why networking in the hobby is so important, most high end stuff never even goes on public sale. I would highly recommend going to Celebration to meet people.

tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby tiefighterboy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Nobody should go to a convention solely to buy vintage. As has been stated, most things are marked up, that's not to say you can't find nice odd ball items at decent prices, but other than that you will pay way above the odds. I am just going for all the man hugs.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:00 am

edd_jedi wrote:I don't really see the sense in going solely to buy stuff. It will cost you $1000 to get there and stay at a hotel, so before you've bought anything at all you have already spent enough money to have bought one or maybe even two Palitoy MOCs.

And then you're paying a 50% premium on everything because things are always more expensive at events than they are online.

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:Are you saying there were items for sale but not on display?

This doesn't just apply to events, it's the same on forums and Facebook. That is why networking in the hobby is so important, most high end stuff never even goes on public sale. I would highly recommend going to Celebration to meet people.

Sound like good advice. I definately need to do more networking and meet more people as I have to agree with you that most of the high end stuff does get sold behind closed doors. When I collected the first time back in 2001 most of the rare items I purchased came from one person and they were not on the open market and now I am back collecting the second time and I have picked up another batch of rare items in another private deal. I have not decided whether to go to Celebration yet it will depend what I can buy in March and therefore how much money I have spent. If I do go it will be to buy stuff, meet people and if I am honest I will enjoy the atmosphere as well.

Thanks for your help

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”