Why So Serious?

indianawars

Sith Lord
Since when did this hobby become Wall Street? Currently I see this trend (mainly from newbies) acting like big shot bankers... arrogant, rude and selfish. 2 days ago I woke up to find a message via eBay, 'make me a good offer and I might buy this.' So, I ignored it, thinking to myself I don't have time to deal with such rude people. Today I wake up to this message, 'this is the second time I'm messaging you and the last. I will give you £99 posted for this.' The item in question is a code 3 gunship for £199.99 that I have for sale. Sadly, this is type of attitude is becoming more frequent.

What I don't understand is why people are taking collecting toys so seriously. Hobbies are suppose to be fun and nothing more. I know prices have risen dramatically, but still have a little respect for others... especially if you're asking them to do you the favour.

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
Because the banks are giving crap rates on savings , house market is still too volatile , and there is a growing population of arrogant , ignorant self centred twats !!

IMO :lol:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
The best way to deal with people like that is ignore them, nothing annoys an ego more than being blanked

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Agree is really annoying along with them telling you the faults with your items when you have clearly listed them, they offer you peanuts and in the message say why so low offer. I think yes I do know i'm selling the bloody thing.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
The best way to deal with people like that is ignore them, nothing annoys an ego more than being blanked

Yep, 100% agree. Nothing annoys and arrogant egomaniac more than being ignored. I do try to ignore such rude messages on my listings, too, Damien, but sometimes I have to give way and point out just how stupid and ignorant they are. There are some spectacular twats out there.

I'd say it's probably something we'll see more and more of as the hobby becomes less fun, and I do think it is becoming less fun because we're no longer talking about "fun" amounts of money being spent. I just sold my last 17 Trilogo run for £4,000 (it has to be said to a bloody nice bloke who was the diametric opposite of the rude twat that messaged you, Damien). £4k is not "fun" money. It's more than a lot of people have tied up in a car. It's as much as a lot of people take home in 3 or 4 months of salary. We left fun in the rearview mirror when prices started their (seemingly) unstoppable rise.

That said, I am still finding fun in collecting, but just not the mainstream stuff, although I am struggling for a "theme" in the meantime. It's great fun collecting stuff that costs double digits (mostly) but it's how to effectively display it so it doesn't have to live in boxes.

Ignore the rude, embrace the keen (regardless of how stupid the question may appear) and keep fun in your collection. Let the ignorant, arrogant and attention seeking pricks wash up against you light untreated sewage on a beach. They're nothing more than a bunch of floaters.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
Sounds like a right tosser, I agree ingnore them all! Offering half the asking price as if your doing the seller a favour is so arrogant. :shock: I put some low offers in on eBay perhaps 30% below the asking price and I feel like I'm being out of order.

indianawars

Sith Lord
I think everybody is right. I believe what has really annoyed this person is the fact that I didn't respond, and for someone who is probably used to getting their own way in life, it has been a real blow to their ego. My conclusion is that this person might be a newbie or a dealer, but either way there now on my block list. It's a shame these types of messages are becoming more frequent (perhaps not as extreme as my example) but still, very unnecessary. Simon, your post is brilliant. It has really captured the current state of the hobby.

Ross_Barr

Jedi Knight
ScruffyLookingNH said:
Ignore the rude, embrace the keen (regardless of how stupid the question may appear) and keep fun in your collection. Let the ignorant, arrogant and attention seeking pricks wash up against you light untreated sewage on a beach. They're nothing more than a bunch of floaters.

This is spectacular advice. In life and the hobby there are always going to be fantastic people and there are always going to be cunts. The good news though is that the cream always rises to the top and the **** always floats to the bottom, so you'll know quickly which one is which.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
I don't think it's limited to Star Wars.
Its greed and selfishness.
It's just attitudes in general where people expect something for nothing or, in this case, very little.
See it often at car boot sales where prices are usually low/reasonable, but people still want something for 10p.

There's no harm in messaging an offer, even if it's a cheeky one, but to come on pushy like that then you should just block them.
Don't wind someone up on eBay if you value your feedback because you never know what some might do.

I used to collect trainers from the 80's/90's up until recently and there was a great community for that. It was kind of underground in a way, not mainstream like Star Wars. Maybe that's why it was great.
I'm still relatively new to this forum and it's similar to the trainers forum(Crooked Tongues) was. Once you stray outside the forum and don't have the rules and other users to fall back on then the gloves are off.
Just have to accept that's the way it is and hope you're dealing with a like-minded individual.

In my job as a bookie I see idiotic attitudes a lot.
And the post about egos being deflated is spot on.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
He was probably a wannabe dealer and/or a serial flipper. There's prob people who message people and make tons of low offers every day to try and get a bite. Some might even make a living or side wage out of it. He would have put it straight back up for the price you were asking. Not collectors, arseholes. Like all the pricks asking 25 quid for modern Mocs :roll:

The 2-1B staff arrived safely by the way Damien, cheers bud

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Yeah. I ignore the impolite requests hoping for a cheap uninformed buy-it-now. If I were taking the piss I think I'd be polite. Like the guy who wanted my old phone I was selling recently who needed it before the auction ends because.....drumroll..... his father had the very same model and suffered a heart attack in the street and had his phone stolen from his pocket. He can only use that model and will I sell it to him for, basically, half its used value. :D

steve obi wan

Sith Lord
Supporter
indianawars said:
I think everybody is right. I believe what has really annoyed this person is the fact that I didn't respond, and for someone who is probably used to getting their own way in life, it has been a real blow to their ego. My conclusion is that this person might be a newbie or a dealer, but either way there now on my block list. It's a shame these types of messages are becoming more frequent (perhaps not as extreme as my example) but still, very unnecessary. Simon, your post is brilliant. It has really captured the current state of the hobby.

Look do you want my offer or not , I have been waiting for at less 30 mins . I will get you £95 now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lejackal

Grand Master
steve obi wan said:
indianawars said:

Look do you want my offer or not , I have been waiting for at less 30 mins . I will get you £95 now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Look here sunshine, I've waited nearly a month for a Palitoy 12 back and no one has sold me one....pfft 30 minutes indeed

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I can't decide whether these people are trying to be funny or just socially inept? I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I got into collecting as an escape from the day to day hassle and bullshit. However the further you delve, the more bellends you encounter. Whether it be liars on Ebay selling counterfeit repro or the ametuer hour collectors bragging or talking bollocks on Facebook, it can be quite off putting and do your head in if you let it. Rise above it, don't answer dopey or rude enquiries, or if you must just be polite. There's something about the internet that turns people into assholes. They wouldn't behave that way face to face. The fact that money can be made probably explains it. Collecting is the in thing at the moment, hopefully they'll get bored and move onto something else?! In the mean time, just ignore them.

indianawars

Sith Lord
This one made me laugh at the time, the fact they offered me less than what the eBay fees would be anyway! No offence if this was a forum member, but it was quite funny.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 238

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
There are 2 issues here

1. You can't legislate for rudeness and bad mannered people.

2. If you are a decent, well mannered person, as you are, then you tend to benchmark other people that way as its your way in life. Sadly there are rude people out there :roll:

Ignore it mate, take solace in the fact that your not like that :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom