Header image

-what's a true holy grail...

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
sparkysx
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: -what's a true holy grail...

Postby sparkysx » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:19 pm

My avatar!

sparkysx
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby sparkysx » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:19 pm

except, Palitoy, not Kenner!

Frunkstar
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Frunkstar » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:24 pm

lejackal wrote:
Frunkstar wrote:It's a 16 figure multi pack, only 2 known to exist to date, though I do like cardboard :lol:

Any idea why it has the same number on as a 10 figure multipack? I thought the number was supposed to tell you which pack it was?
http://theswca.com/index.php?action=dis ... m_id=38075

There is no SW era brown box 10 pack, I think the achieve just forgot to add the other figures to the description :? as thats the same pack
If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.

Please check out the baggie guide here - http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15937

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:48 pm

Frunkstar wrote:
lejackal wrote:
Frunkstar wrote:It's a 16 figure multi pack, only 2 known to exist to date, though I do like cardboard :lol:

Any idea why it has the same number on as a 10 figure multipack? I thought the number was supposed to tell you which pack it was?
http://theswca.com/index.php?action=dis ... m_id=38075

There is no SW era brown box 10 pack, I think the achieve just forgot to add the other figures to the description :? as thats the same pack

They do that a lot for MOCs. If it's offerless they show the same cardfront for all the different cardbacks.

My grail would be the Han Hoth hard copy with stripy legs - and I think that's a true use of the word grail too.

No idea where it is and even if I did it would be unobtainable due to price
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:56 am

From a hobby point of view there are very few true holy grails. There are around 100 known Rocket Firing Fett prototypes, so that's certainly not a holy grail. I don't think any production piece could be called a grail.

On a personal level though it can be a lot looser - for me personally it's a trilogo Madine as I need one to complete my set. They are expensive but not super rare with 30-40 known examples. for a loose collector it might be a VCJ as they are so much more expensive than most other loose figures.

x-pack
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby x-pack » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Its individual

Mine would be a nice loft find. Some lovely vintage toys that have been stashed away for 30 years and the owners want to sell them to me :D

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:03 pm

As Knights of old we quest a Grail,
We may lack the armour and Chainmail,
But in what we seek our hearts are true,
Chances missed that we may rue,
But when we find our our hearts desire,
Does that quench, or stall our fire,
I think not, on we soldier with vigour anew,
As that particular Dragon we Slew,
We have as Don Quixote succinctly shows,
Lost our minds fighting imaginary foes,
We are but human, with all our fails,
And we have a purpose with a wind in our sails,
A beleaguered rabble, but happy are we,
Without Star Wars where would we be.......
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:19 am

edd_jedi wrote:From a hobby point of view there are very few true holy grails. There are around 100 known Rocket Firing Fett prototypes, so that's certainly not a holy grail. I don't think any production piece could be called a grail.

On a personal level though it can be a lot looser - for me personally it's a trilogo Madine as I need one to complete my set. They are expensive but not super rare with 30-40 known examples. for a loose collector it might be a VCJ as they are so much more expensive than most other loose figures.

Does it matter how many of something exist if there are non for sale. Does quantity in existence determine Grail status or general accessibility?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

Then I'll see you in Hell!

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby weasel » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:02 pm

Michael Sith wrote:Example Cars.....

Aston Martin DB9 8)

I'll sell you mine! :lol:
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Ross_Barr
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Ross_Barr » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:39 pm

edd_jedi wrote:I don't think any production piece could be called a grail.

People say this all the time, so don't fault you for it, but I just don't think it's true. There are many production items that exist in such small numbers now that would certainly qualify them as grails - DT Vader or Ben MOC, Glasslite Vlix MOC, Toltoys ESB VCJ MOC, orange hair Luke MOC, and probably several others.....

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Yeah it's a fair point,I would say there needs to be less than five of something known in collections to be called a grail (I hate the phrase "in existence" because nobody can prove that)

Joe
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:09 pm

The term "holy grail" is very overused for what are almost always just personal grails. We've all been guilty of it, at one point many years ago I considered my grail a blue snag :lol:

A holy grail would in my opinion have to be something that's more important than any individual collection, something that's of immense importance to the hobby itself. A piece that's considered lost to history, the kit bashed rocket Fett prototype for example, a sculpt that's never been seen or any number of 2D related items that have never surfaced perhaps because they were destroyed 30 years ago.

Personal grails change all the time and are usually only out of reach due to lack of funds, because lets face it: if you've got money in this hobby, you can get pretty much anything you want (as far as production items go and in many cases prototypes too)
I'm famous in Poland!
If you want to get in contact, please email me: joe@trilogo.info - click the image below for my WTB

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Yes that's a very good point Joe. I think that also means a grail is something that cannot be bought simply with money. If you can decide you want one today and buy it tomorrow, it's not a grail. You have to earn a grail, not buy it.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:22 pm

edd_jedi wrote:Yes that's a very good point Joe. I think that also means a grail is something that cannot be bought simply with money. If you can decide you want one today and buy it tomorrow, it's not a grail. You have to earn a grail, not buy it.

Could you give an example of such an item.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

Then I'll see you in Hell!

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:34 pm

Most prototypes fall in to that category, they almost never sell on eBay and are usually passed between collectors that know each other. Also the old school guys who have most of this stuff don't need the money so I think they tend to sell them to people who think deserve and will appreciate them rather than whoever is waving the biggest wad of cash.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”