Header image

-what's a true holy grail...

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: -what's a true holy grail...

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Joe wrote:
Personal grails change all the time and are usually only out of reach due to lack of funds, because lets face it: if you've got money in this hobby, you can get pretty much anything you want (as far as production items go and in many cases prototypes too)

That's good to know, would you mind pointing me in the direction of a 30 Back Boba Fett for sale as I have the money waiting :D
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:48 pm

edd_jedi wrote:Most prototypes fall in to that category, they almost never sell on eBay and are usually passed between collectors that know each other. Also the old school guys who have most of this stuff don't need the money so I think they tend to sell them to people who think deserve and will appreciate them rather than whoever is waving the biggest wad of cash.

That's me fucked then :lol: , thankfully I don't collect prototypes.

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:19 am

To me a holy grail is something you do not see for sale in years or maybe never. Items that is so hard to find that you will look for them for a very long time or items that is so expensive so you do not have the money to buy them or you have to save up for it for a very long time before you have the money to buy it.

Some of the holy grails for me that I am still looking for is

The Empire Strikes Back Read Along Book and Tape moc on Danish. I have only seen one for sale and I lost the auction more than 10 years ago :(

Danish Star Wars Fan club magazines, I got my first ones last year after looking for them in 16 years and I think I will never find them all.

But also DT vader and kenobi is Holy grails for me :D

tobedesu
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby tobedesu » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:34 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:To me a holy grail is something you do not see for sale in years or maybe never. Items that is so hard to find that you will look for them for a very long time or items that is so expensive so you do not have the money to buy them or you have to save up for it for a very long time before you have the money to buy it.

I think that sums it up for me as well.
However, it doesn't always have to relate to expense.
I think its the search for a piece that exists but just near impossible to get hold of...even if one has the cash.

I don't have a grail piece as such; I'd like a carded Palitoy 12-back run of the main rebels. And a carded run of Leia's in all forms, but wouldn't call them grails.
Admittedly, I don't have the cash for all of that so they remain a dream rather than a grail.

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:01 pm

I think its really tough to define and I wonder if just the terms Grail, Holy Grail, Personal Grail are all the same thing but both overused and used differently by everyone that uses them... This thread at least seems to support that there are a variety of possible uses and reasons why its used.

My 'Grail' example goes back to me spending a couple of year's looking to get a Model Trem Han. A bugger to find, even more so from a reputable source and no matter where you look it was never going to be a pocket change pick-up... for me and my budget for an individual piece it was pretty off the chart to be honest. I wanted it to have the original blaster and was willing to not have a box; they're ugly and I'd be unlikely to display it, so a lack of it for a lesser cost was an OK call for me. Still took a long time and a lot of looking...

Now is a Model Trem Han with a genuine gun a grail? To me it was, yes.
- It was uncommon to rare; not sure I've seen one on eBay ever, certainly not like some 'grail's', something you can, with a full wallet, pick-up every week.
- It was, quite frankly, expensive.
- It was not something I'd find without doing some leg work.

I imagine to some in the right circles it's nothing like a grail, some folk though have multiple pre-production 2D &/or 3D items because at one time for them, they were 'affordable' but to me any one of their many items might be a grail item.

None of the above takes away from the very basic fact that the term Grail is massively over used on items that can indeed be picked up week after week on eBay or similar.
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:48 pm

Does a grail item only apply to something you have never owned?

What if you owned something, sold it and then years later decided you wanted it again but found it nearly impossible to buy, is it still a grail item?

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:58 pm

It's personal, mines a Kenner 21 back Boba Fett.

The way I look at it is if someone said to you, I'm going to sell you any vintage item for what you can afford but you can never sell it what would you choose?
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:32 pm

What should determine Grail status affordability or rarity?

Lom
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Lom » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:04 pm

I think I almost certainly apply 'grail' status incorrectly since I have two; an achievable grail and an almost certainly unachievable grail.

As an AT-AT Driver focus collector I would LOVE a screen used AT-AT Driver helmet. There were only 2 - one is in a collection and the other was stolen and has disappeared. The chances of me owning either are astronomical not least of all because I doubt I could afford it!!!

And then there's a 30b Palitoy AT-AT Driver moc - in 2 years of hunting I know where 3 are but they're in fine collections already; I think I'll get one from somewhere someday and whilst I'd love it to be tomorrow, it could just as easily be another 2 years away!
Sith happens.....

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:26 pm

theforceuk wrote:It's personal, mines a Kenner 21 back Boba Fett.

The way I look at it is if someone said to you, I'm going to sell you any vintage item for what you can afford but you can never sell it what would you choose?

For me at this point in time it would either be either a Palitoy VCJ or a 30 Back Fett.

If at some future point you were to acquire a 21 Back Fett or I was to acquire a 30 Back Fett or Palitoy VCJ would we still class those items as Grails, is a Grail something you chase and not own?

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:31 pm

Lom wrote:I think I almost certainly apply 'grail' status incorrectly since I have two; an achievable grail and an almost certainly unachievable grail.

As an AT-AT Driver focus collector I would LOVE a screen used AT-AT Driver helmet. There were only 2 - one is in a collection and the other was stolen and has disappeared. The chances of me owning either are astronomical not least of all because I doubt I could afford it!!!

And then there's a 30b Palitoy AT-AT Driver moc - in 2 years of hunting I know where 3 are but they're in fine collections already; I think I'll get one from somewhere someday and whilst I'd love it to be tomorrow, it could just as easily be another 2 years away!

I think the AT AT Driver helmet is a good example of a Grail as I think it is something that most collectors would want and almost none will ever have irrespective of financial situation.

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:41 am

Wreck-It Ralph wrote:
theforceuk wrote:It's personal, mines a Kenner 21 back Boba Fett.

For me at this point in time it would either be either a Palitoy VCJ or a 30 Back Fett.

If at some future point you were to acquire a 21 Back Fett or I was to acquire a 30 Back Fett or Palitoy VCJ would we still class those items as Grails, is a Grail something you chase and not own?

Probably not! After opening the package I would move on to the next one, which would probably be POTF Yakface. :lol:
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

palitoyjunky
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby palitoyjunky » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:23 pm

For me It would b a Palitoy 30 back Vader if indeed one exists :?: :!:
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Lindo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:41 pm

for me it would have to be a potf yakface and Anakin and yoda and nikto and at at driver, errmm think that's it :D
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:45 pm

palitoyjunky wrote:For me It would b a Palitoy 30 back Vader if indeed one exists :?: :!:

Why specificaly Vader as all of the first 12 on a 30 back card are super rare?

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”