Header image

Jim Stevensons Health

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
palitoyjunky
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Jim Stevensons Health

Postby palitoyjunky » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Right, I recently met up with Steve Ward of UKG and he informed me sadly Jim is now being looked after in a home as he is suffering from serious dementia!

It is so sad to loose one of the outstanding characters in our hobby I remember over the past 20+ years :!: The last Memorabilia I attended that Jim also would have attended if not for his health(b4 the show totally changed to shit) felt sooo empty and dull not seeing his wonderful display of matchless ex shop stock pieces and not being able to have our usual chat :cry:

Jim had such a passion for vintage Star Wars and his stock and stories was testament to that!
Maybe being a tad controversial because we all like to say how wonderful someone was, anyone who really knew Jim will know he was a damn tough dealer and it was tough to get a bargain out of him most of the time :!: He wasn't one to do many favours and certainly was all about money. He knew he had an advantage because of the quality of his stock:!: HOWEVER he was stand up honest and the integrity of his stock was 2nd to none and he taught me a lot. He had those real "Old Skool" qualities about him the way he did business and U didn't mind paying a little more for something because of the quality and over the years that has really paid off :!:
I truly miss him and we won't see the likes of him again :(

A true legend 8)
Looking for mint sealed or unused Palitoy Empire.

Andyclarke
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Andyclarke » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:00 pm

palitoyjunky wrote:Right, I recently met up with Steve Ward of UKG and he informed me sadly Jim is now being looked after in a home as he is suffering from serious dementia!

It is so sad to loose one of the outstanding characters in our hobby I remember over the past 20+ years :!: The last Memorabilia I attended that Jim also would have attended if not for his health(b4 the show totally changed to shit) felt sooo empty and dull not seeing his wonderful display of matchless ex shop stock pieces and not being able to have our usual chat :cry:

Jim had such a passion for vintage Star Wars and his stock and stories was testament to that!
Maybe being a tad controversial because we all like to say how wonderful someone was, anyone who really knew Jim will know he was a damn tough dealer and it was tough to get a bargain out of him most of the time :!: He wasn't one to do many favours and certainly was all about money. He knew he had an advantage because of the quality of his stock:!: HOWEVER he was stand up honest and the integrity of his stock was 2nd to none and he taught me a lot. He had those real "Old Skool" qualities about him the way he did business and U didn't mind paying a little more for something because of the quality and over the years that has really paid off :!:
I truly miss him and we won't see the likes of him again :(

A true legend 8)

Thanks Jon for the update. I've known about Jim not being well for a long time and Darren (Starzone) kindly gave me an update a while back, but I didn't know to what extent. This is indeed really sad news and dementia is a shockingly quick disease and a nightmare for the family.

I will miss him at toy fairs for sure and him not being there marks the end of an era.

StarWarsFan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby StarWarsFan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Sorry to hear about this poor guy.

stormcab
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby stormcab » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:51 pm

Very sad to hear. When I first discovered toy fairs in my mid-late teens in the mid 90s, I bought a couple of pieces of him. I remember he said he got hold of a VCJ MOC and I could have it for £750. Didn't have that in my mid teens lol.

Caswellbot
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Caswellbot » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:39 pm

Ah man, I'm really sorry to hear this. Jim was THE face at toy fairs. His stall was always second to none. The great thing is that you didn't even have to buy anything to appreciate Jims stall. You could just stop and stare as I often did. Haha. It was always immaculately laid out with some of the best and varied stock from all kinds of toy lines. Some folks used to slate his prices and sure he was tough to deal with at times but you knew what you were getting and that was most often top quality. I bought quite a few bits off him years ago and he was always great to chat to. kudos to him for having the passion and foresight to be going to the US to cart this stuff back in the 90's. I haven't been to a fair in a few years now but I know that his not being there will undoubtedly have a big impact.

Wreck-It Ralph
Regular
Regular

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Sad news about Jim I haven't seen him for at least 12 years. First time I met him was with Tom Derby in a service station (not as it sounds) and after that meeting I met him many times either at Memrobilia or Strensham Services (also not as it sounds) to buy certain choice pieces from his collection which at the time he was selling. I spoke to him many times either at the fairs or on the phone and heard many stories about his past both good and bad and although I have not seen or spoken to him in such a long time it is a shame our paths will probably never cross again.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

_Lee_
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby _Lee_ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:41 pm

Damn this is sad. I last spoke to Jim 3-4 years ago :(

Truly one of the Godfathers of collecting.
Star Wars collector of vintage toys, props and autographs.

'Facebook is like jail, you sit around wasting time and writing on walls and end up being poked by people you dont know'

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”