Header image

Where next?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
plantman
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Where next?

Postby plantman » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:42 am

Cardbacks is a great one (especially in the expensive cimate) or what about a scene that you remember as a child that you recreated, like buy an at-at and snowspeeder, a group of beaters and get the memories flowing back.
"These ARE the droids your looking for...now how much for the pair?"

Gaz46&2
Regular
Regular

Postby Gaz46&2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:10 pm

You're in a similar situation to me. I collected almost all of the first 77, I've got about 3 left to get. I don't really like collecting MOC, I constantly worry about looking after them and get little enjoyment from them so that particular collection is fairly small. And I'm not that interested in the last 17 - it wasn't part my of childhood, but I have a few mint last 17 figures.

I found focusing on obtaining variant figures fun and doesn't need to be expensive either. All 3 x IG88 variants (dull, ,shiny and hollow eyes) are readily available won't break the bank. Same with Lando Calrissian (Smile and non Smile) and many others. They look great on display too.

Another suggestion is modern collecting. There are some really great figures in particular, the fairly recent Gamorrean guard with the furry pants and some of the stormtroopers and sandtroopers. Though you do have to wade through a lot of junk to find the gems if you go down this route.

Woolyniner
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Woolyniner » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:07 am

Yeah I tried a bit of modern collecting and didn't feel the love.

I think the answer has been staring me in the face. I bought a battered old X-wing for Christmas, did it up, and bought one of Iain's stands for it and it looks great. I then bought nothing for 3 months, and got a droid factory (using the parts for my childhood base), again restoring it and enjoying it on display.

I'm enjoying the slower pace of collecting, picking up something 'cool' now and again every few months. Something I wanted as a kid. So I'm going for non-boxed loose vehicles and playsets starting with some sort of Tie-fighter. No rush, probably wait until one appears on swfuk at a good price.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”