Header image

Where next?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Woolyniner
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Where next?

Postby Woolyniner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:55 pm

I joined this forum and started collecting vintage star wars to restore my childhood collection and complete the first 77 loose. I've done that and got few boxes and mocs but where next? I did think that was it, but I've still got the collecting urge.

I recently sold some mocs as for me they just provide poor £ per enjoyment. I also can't bring myself to sell any loose, I like all the pieces I've bought, which suggests something in the loose direction is the way to go.

But I bought a bunch of snowtroopers and decided variants or focus collecting was not for me either.

So I'm thinking either playsets (I have quite a few already) or vehicles. Any other ideas?

poncho
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Where next?

Postby poncho » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:50 pm

loose ships restoration

buy a knackered ship.and bring it back to life....

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:51 pm

The boxed items are still reasonably priced at the moment as long as they are not graded, or even MISB. Mini rigs are a good one to go for. :D
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

x-wingMark
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby x-wingMark » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:09 pm

I agree with the guys above comments. Vehicles are good to go for.
The First Transport is Away!

Wanted: Opened Palitoy card back with bubble or reseals, including Jedi & Trilogo cards. Thanks

SWFUK Feedback viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17775

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Sticking with loose, you could go down the 12 inch vintage loose, I think they look super on display
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Michael Sith on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

robpmarsh
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby robpmarsh » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:21 pm

I have a few boxed mini rigs for sale if you go in that direction
Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold!

my Swfuk feedback: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=21776

My Leia Hoth focus:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30198

Woolyniner
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Woolyniner » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm thinking either mini rigs with boxes or larger vehicles loose. I'll think on it for a little while, Rob I'll be in touch if I go for the former option.

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:35 pm

Mini Rigs are a great shout. Generally available at sensible prices across forums, Facebook and at Fairs/events. They all have multiple variants (Palitoy/Kenner etc) and many come across a couple of film logos too, so you can build a decent run with variants at a good rate to keep interest as well as being able to display variety.
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:34 pm

I love loose ships, started collecting them immediately I started collecting, along with loose figures. You get an awful lot for your money and as long as you have space for a big cabinet or shelves to display them they look great. I used to like finding the cleanest ones I could or completely unused and un-stickered ones with or without box. I have pretty much all the ones I wanted now except a really nice At-At which I'd like. There are also a few variations or updates of the ships themselves some of which I'd like to add when I have more space. Playsets is a good shout, not for me but there is a load to explore there.

rhyfelyser
Regular
Regular

Postby rhyfelyser » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:06 pm

When i was searching high and low for SW toys as a kid in 87/88 all i could find in shops were mini rigs like INT-4, radar laser cannon , ewok catapult et al. They were a godsend for me. Nice in display and still cheap these days too.
On and off small time collector of mainly ROTJ 77 backs, vehicles and loosies since 2000.

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:35 pm

I always loved Bendems, I know, not strictly vintage, more of a crossover line between vintage and modern, affordable and really cool card designs, and miss-cards to boot, what more could you want.
Also vintage instructions, offer cards and comic advert look cool framed in the den. The adverts can be found in most of the late 70's early 80's uk comics and show some cool designs, below picked up for pence. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

Hooch
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Hooch » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:08 am

I would have said mini rigs like others before. Boxes are not very big so easy to display in Detolf cabinets etc. Maybe combine with your loose and recreate the scene on the box with the box behind?
Hooch, somehow you always make ewoks look cool 8)

My feedback: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23429

My most wanted: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23845

coomber75
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby coomber75 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:13 am

mini rigs for me as small and display well... great for creating display scenes with your loose!!
may also have some spare if you are after a couple

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 am

Cardbacks are a nice thing to collect, most are cheap and there are literally thousands of different ones

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:33 am

edd_jedi wrote:Cardbacks are a nice thing to collect, most are cheap and there are literally thousands of different ones

Indeed, hadn't thought of that.. but just started picking some up myself. Again you get a lot for your money, a fraction of the Moc price.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”