Ever get something better than you thought you had?

stormcab

Sith Lord
Basically have you ever bought/won something only to either discover later it's a rare variant or something, or someone sees it and and says "dude, do you not know what you've got there, it's only a bloody......"

An amazing example would be buying an ordinary Luke, Vader, Ben 12 back, then discovering it was a DT.

poncho

Grand Master
bought a job lot of loose beaters from spain for a dark brown rebel soldier it came with a tri fett which i knew about but to my suprise a odd looking han hoth. upon research it turned out to be the white face violet torso variant. score :)

stormcab

Sith Lord
poncho said:
bought a job lot of loose beaters from spain for a dark brown rebel soldier it came with a tri fett which i knew about but to my suprise a odd looking han hoth. upon research it turned out to be the white face violet torso variant. score :)

I suppose loose is going to be the main place it happens. I bet people examine MOCs very closely, or send messages with questions to make sure.

coomber75

Sith Lord
bought auction lot posted the pics here had pbp luke wally and some Mexico boxed vehicles :D I had great plans to sell tye variants on.... only managed to part woth one so far lol

hellhippie

Jedi Master
poncho said:
no but this is incredible Chris

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I have a box with hundreds of beaters in it that I've I've bought over the years for a quid or two each, and have found several 'rare variants' in there such as the Meccano R2-D2 and PBP Luke Bespin. I don't think they really count though because they were just plain old beaters when I bought them, nobody cared about variants.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Many times, sometimes when I find childhood collections. Then I sometimes find some cool items in them that I do not have in my collection.

One of the better deals was a childhood collection that I bought from a father in france who sold his 40 years old sons childhood items.
There was metallic pbp bespin blaster, poch farmer luke and many meccano figures in the childhood lot.

Sometimes in denmark I also find lili ledy figures or pbp figures in danish childhood lots.

When I began to collect variants and learn about variants many years ago. Then I learned without knowing it that I had some lili ledy bikerscouts, lili ledy gamorrean guard and a lili ledy lando skiff guard in my collection, first I just thought they were normal kenner figures and weapons.

I also remember a guy last year contacted me about if I would buy his childhood collection. Most of it was with boxes. When I got them and checked the boxes. Then I learned the AT-ST box was made in spain, I have a others but there are all made in France.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Tri Logo Fett, unpainted knee and painted arrow, bought about 20 years ago, only bought it cause it was better condition then mine paid a £ for it. A PBP Luke Bespin for £2 had no idea was rarer then the regular version just bought it cause liked the look of it. Recent Purchase of Hoth Rebel commander paid £4 knew would be worth a bit more no idea would be worth over £100. Very pink faced Han Solo in Hoth Last year paid £2 not to looking on ebay was worth about £50. A Rebel transporter with Box paid £15 for it when I opened the secret compartment had a load of weapons had no idea were there. Also a Darth Vaders case when cleaning it found a Emperors walking stick. Got a cade Skywalker and Darth talon for 50p each not realising they were semi Rare.

A couple of years ago I bid on & won a loose R2 sensorscope for less than £5 when it arrived it was a pop up R2 no sabre sadly, but a very nice surprise :D

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
I took a punt on a DT Luke a couple of years back on ebay. I took some close-up photos of the saber and turns out it's the rarer circles version 2 variant.

stormcab

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:
Haha. I know of someone who brought a han 12 back years ago and it turned out to be a clipper ;)

Mwahaha, I knew it was a Clipper though, obvs (big writing on the front), but even until recently foreign pieces were seen as second rate to Kenner. Still paid a couple of hundred way back in the mid 90s.

Gaz46&2

Padawan
About 10 years ago I bid on a MOC ROTJ Gamorrean guard on ebay. It was listed as Kenner 65 back (omitting the most important detail). I won the auction and paid £13 inc postage. I got the item, wasn't particularly impressed with it, put it in storage and forgot I had it. Fast forward to the present day and I decide to get my old MOC collection out of storage and to my surprise I notice on it's card 'Made in Mexico' Yep, I bought a MOC Lily Ledy Gamorrean Guard for £13 and it took me 10 years to notice. Confirmed the figure is genuine too, its got the detailed axe and bright yellow eyes, teeth and tusks.

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I once got a 12 inch R2 at a boot sale for a fiver. Knew nothing about them, never had one. It was a bit yellow and well played with. Discovered ages afterwards it had the two little death star plans in it. I think they're worth pretty good money on their own now. Still got it, love it, wild find.

itfciain

Grand Master
I got very lucky with an auction lot that I bought in the Dewey Shumate auction - they had been written off as production figures so no one was really interested - there were a few nice ones in there inc a DSD so I thought I would grab them as they had some history. Low and behold the C3PO in the lot turned out to be a chrome test peice - planned to hold onto it but as you all know, life gets in the way, wife wants to buy things and I have acrylic bills to pay, so it was sold for a healthy profit to pay for these things. There is also a chance that one of the weapons in there was a first shot as well so one of the other guys also got rather lucky with his purchase from me :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom